Horn Loudspeakers

fredgarvin

Re: Horn Loudspeakers
« Reply #60 on: 13 Jul 2017, 03:44 pm »
Consider me in the horn camp for now. Any 20 yo Klipsch model can be cheaply upgraded and modified to get excellent sound. They are the perfect mate with low powered amplification. IMO, most people have never really listened to horns because smaller speakers with smaller footprints became the center of attention by manufacturers for various reasons. The dynamic, emotive sound that is like real music is captivating and for many listeners more important than having the best ' imaging' or other audiophile grails.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #61 on: 13 Jul 2017, 04:06 pm »
The dynamic, live sound is captivating and for many of us more important than having the best ' imaging'...

I wouldn't say one is more important than the other. I will say that if one is fortunate to have them both, there is no turning back. However, I will agree with the underlying assertion that most audiophile speakers, especially those that use convention drivers (including stats and plannars) compress the dynamics to the point of sucking the life out of the music.

Emil

« Reply #62 on: 13 Jul 2017, 04:10 pm »
Woody -

My horns were made by Bill Woods of Hastings, Ontario. He had a company called Acoustic Horn. The ones I have were offered as the AH300. Mine are cherry but he offered them in a variety of solid woods. The mouth is 18 inches and the throats are 2 inch. The aluminum part is cast and powder coated and custom machined to mate with your predesignated compression driver. I chose to use B&C DCX 50.

Macrojack

I had the B&C and replaced them with these:
https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/171108-bms-4592-mid-1050/

Found the B&C on the "warm" side compared to BMS

Consider them if you have the scratch

fredgarvin

« Reply #63 on: 13 Jul 2017, 04:34 pm »
I wouldn't say one is more important than the other. I will say that if one is fortunate to have them both, there is no turning back. However, I will agree with the underlying assertion that most audiophile speakers, especially those that use convention drivers (including stats and plannars) compress the dynamics to the point of sucking the life out of the music.

Agree with that sentiment. I have pretty good imaging from my Quartets with a little toe in and the right distance from the wall, but not as good as my planars. Otherwise, they are much more engaging.

shooter

« Reply #64 on: 13 Jul 2017, 05:55 pm »
Alignment for horns are much more critical than other types of speakers, I use laser to align mine and have help couple of my friends to align their as well, after alignment the speakers just disappear and instruments float in space the improvement are readily audible and at some instances drastic.

versus rider

« Reply #65 on: 30 Dec 2017, 03:21 pm »
Good questions Michael!

Treatment requirements should be lessened as the horn itself is directional.

Fatigue is a definite factor in my book for horns being how dynamic and forward sounding they are (very "in your face", which is partially why I commented on needing a big room).  To me, they force the issue - you either like them or you don't, no prisoners taken.  There is no perfect speaker and horns are not well suited for casual/background listening. 

Those speakers you found remind me of the JBL M2 ($20,000/pair, mastering speakers that put the really expensive competitors to shame).
just found this thread, funny how people assume a horn will sound " in your face " that is absolute rubbish. The horn systems I've heard and owned were built over time and much work gone into them, they sounded relaxed and laid back, but also very dynamic. Assumptions like a speaker made of glass would be sharp and brittle sounding. I won't bother going on.

versus rider

« Reply #66 on: 30 Dec 2017, 04:04 pm »
That translates to a roughly 1ms difference and is potentially audible, assuming the two drivers are pumping out at exactly the same time. If your woofer has a delay, it's probably lining up reasonably close.
well if you can hear 1/1000th of second delay that will ruin your listening pleasure, you have my sympathies and you may want to pursue a different interest.

nickd

« Reply #67 on: 30 Dec 2017, 05:21 pm »
I’ve been in the horn camp for a couple of years now. Reasonable admission price as I bought a couple of pair of Altec’s and restored them (model 14’s and 19’s).

I use ultra modern Lyngdorf amplification and now have the most musical system I have owned in 35 years.

The beauty of modern electronics is they allow placement against the rear wall, smoothing of in room response and digital crossover to a sub. That the noise floor is absolutely silent is a huge plus. Music explodes to life from a completely “black” background. Realistic indeed.  :thumb:

fredgarvin

« Reply #68 on: 30 Dec 2017, 11:42 pm »
I’ve been in the horn camp for a couple of years now. Reasonable admission price as I bought a couple of pair of Altec’s and restored them (model 14’s and 19’s).

I use ultra modern Lyngdorf amplification and now have the most musical system I have owned in 35 years.

The beauty of modern electronics is they allow placement against the rear wall, smoothing of in room response and digital crossover to a sub. That the noise floor is absolutely silent is a huge plus. Music explodes to life from a completely “black” background. Realistic indeed.  :thumb:

Those Lyngdorf amps are really nice. With that built in correction the options are definitely multiplied.

audio202

« Reply #69 on: 19 Feb 2018, 04:11 pm »
Often when I tell someone I have horn speakers they already dismiss them based on old reviewers yet they have never heard them?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #70 on: 19 Feb 2018, 06:44 pm »
Often when I tell someone I have horn speakers they already dismiss them based on old reviewers yet they have never heard them?
I hear you, audio202. Willful ignorance is a big problem these days. My horns receive the same presumptive negativity that I so often get about my Prius. Keeps the price of used horns reasonable though. Once the masses discover what they are missing, old horn designs will quadruple in price. If that happens I will be quick to sell mine.

BongRattlingBass

« Reply #71 on: 23 Feb 2018, 05:40 pm »
I used to have Altec 19's which sounded great in my last house but since I downsized to a smaller listening room, they just weren't sounding right so I had to sell them. Listening environment is crucial when considering horns.

roscoe65

« Reply #72 on: 23 Feb 2018, 07:41 pm »
I used to have Altec 19's which sounded great in my last house but since I downsized to a smaller listening room, they just weren't sounding right so I had to sell them. Listening environment is crucial when considering horns.

A great alternative for those of us with less space is the use a 414A/802/32A in 614-sized cabinet.  It ends up being a smaller scale version of the 19 with better midrange (gotta love that 414A). 

There is a fantastic thread in the in the High Efficiency Speaker Asylum.  It is well worth the read.

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #73 on: 25 Feb 2018, 01:49 am »
When I can afford,  I will get Duevel speakers,  model Bella Luna Diamante.  These are omni "horn loaded," though not sure if that qualifies as horn speakers.   They are rated I think as 91 dB efficient,  but because they are omni it will actually be a little higher than that.

mkane

« Reply #74 on: 27 Feb 2018, 01:31 am »
I'm trying

mkane

« Reply #75 on: 27 Feb 2018, 01:33 am »

another pic

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #76 on: 27 Feb 2018, 02:10 am »
Sweet. :thumb:     Brings to mind the OMA Imperia.

mkane

« Reply #77 on: 27 Feb 2018, 02:42 am »
 Those look to be way over my fabrication abilities. Something to shoot for though.

Mr.Retro

« Reply #78 on: 27 Feb 2018, 03:37 am »
MKane, what are your woods in that project?  One looks to be walnut. That puts the D in DIY !

fredgarvin

« Reply #79 on: 27 Feb 2018, 04:33 pm »
I'm still loving my Quartets. I did a recent mod that paid off, I mass loaded the passive radiators to get deeper bass response. I'm guessing the results at 4-6 hz.  A nice improvement in bass, I don't think it changed the sound in any other noticeable way. These image very nicely and I don't hear any horn coloration from the tractrix mid horn. I haven't had an urge to dampen the horn at all.