Active Analog vs DSP Crossover

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Active Analog vs DSP Crossover
« Reply #20 on: 11 Sep 2018, 02:54 pm »
DSP for sub integration seems like a good thing. Hal is the guy to ask.

charles

Nick V

« Reply #21 on: 11 Sep 2018, 08:44 pm »
How are the Rythmiks being fed in this 2ch/HT system? They have a low pass filter (even on the LFE input), so unless I'm missing something, the only thing you are missing is a high pass for the main speakers?

Correct.

They're currently being fed by the single ended RCA outputs from the W4S STP-SE preamp (the L out feeds the left sub and the R out feeds the right sub). I haven't picked up XLR to miniXLR cables yet for the Rythmik subs.

I've played with the low pass cutoff frequency and the only place I seem to get good integration is where the speakers start to roll off between 30-40Hz. It doesn't make sense to use the subs from 20-40 Hz only, I want to cross them around 80-100Hz or even 150Hz maybe. 

JDUBS

« Reply #22 on: 12 Sep 2018, 01:44 am »
Yep, read that (at least twice), they report lots of noise/jitter.  And it seems like the developers are still working on that issue and the unit in general.  Is this a beta release?  Once the dust settles and comparative reviews come in I'll be very interested.

But please do report back.  BTW what will you be comparing it to?

sorry for highjacking of the thread  :oops:

Lols.  “At least twice”?  Zero retention of any of the info aside from the first post?

-Jim

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 12 Sep 2018, 10:12 am »
Reading twice means I'm studying it.  That's how I graduated with honors in engineering.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #24 on: 12 Sep 2018, 08:31 pm »
Hi Nick V,

Regarding your overarching question “Active Analog vs DSP Crossover” my experience is both can be made to work when enough effort and time is brought to bear. I have personally had good, no make that excellent results with Marchand Electronics Inc. (http://www.marchandelec.com/) on the analog side and DEQX (https://www.deqx.com/) on the digital.

It can be a long road because in the bass region the room is such a wildly varying influence. Something you wrote above jumped out as a potential wrong turn on that road. I am especially thinking of achieving a good livable 85% solution to enjoy now and as a baseline (or should I pun and say ‘bass line’) while you incrementally learn and tweak to get the 95% perfect result we all strive for. Disclaimer I am an engineer so 100% perfect never happens in my world.

You wrote “I've played with the low pass cutoff frequency and the only place I seem to get good integration is where the speakers start to roll off between 30-40Hz. It doesn't make sense to use the subs from 20-40 Hz only, I want to cross them around 80-100Hz or even 150Hz maybe.” This line of thinking is I believe your potential wrong turn, or at least passing by a very scenic road less traveled.

In Nick V’s system we have three components that will significantly contribute bass energy.

1.   Selah Audio Vigore’s SB Acoustics 8" woofers
2.   Rythmik FM8 active subwoofers
3.   Room acoustics primarily from the mechanisms of boundary reinforcement and room nodes.

SB Acoustics makes very good woofers and Selah Audio knows what they are doing in the implementation of bass alignments so I am making an educated guess the main stereo pair can output significant energy to at least 40Hz perhaps even 30Hz. As the woofers roll off the room boundary reinforcement will act to counter their roll-off lifting up the response. Same story with the Rythmik FM8 subwoofers except they play down to 20 Hz if not lower. Now you have lots-o-bass and along come the room nodes stirring the mix with big peaks and suck-outs based on the room dimensions. Typically the primary result is one or two or three big booming peaks somewhere between 60-100 Hz.

Only heroic measures will change the room acoustics below 150 Hz and you have stated these are not acceptable as the room is multipurpose family space. The trick I want you to consider is hinted at when you wrote “seem to get good integration is where the speakers start to roll off between 30-40Hz. It doesn't make sense to use the subs from 20-40 Hz only”. It does make sense when we find the frequency of the worst offending room mode and pick the subwoofer to mains crossover frequency to purposely create a null at that frequency.

As an example say your room has a node at 55 Hz causing a 6 dB peak. With the subwoofers LPF at 40 Hz and the mains HPF at 60 or 65 Hz the energy to excite that 55 Hz peak is attenuated. The net response is smoother yielding the bliss of “good integration”. I first encountered this after auditioning and purchasing a REL sub as REL has championed very low Hz LPFs for their subwoofers for years. It is counter intuitive but a smooth response with true response in the lowest octave is quite a nice result.

This is certainly more towards the audiophile ideal and admittedly does not serve the home theater side where in the 10 to 100 Hz range mo-bass always better. And looking at the Rythmik FM8 description on their website it is very capable of playing much higher and contributing to low frequency effects and maximum system output. Going there is where in my experience DSP plus lots of measurements and experimentation is required finding and nulling out those peaks.

Enjoy the journey and happy listening.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #25 on: 12 Sep 2018, 08:59 pm »
Correct.

They're currently being fed by the single ended RCA outputs from the W4S STP-SE preamp (the L out feeds the left sub and the R out feeds the right sub). I haven't picked up XLR to miniXLR cables yet for the Rythmik subs.

I've played with the low pass cutoff frequency and the only place I seem to get good integration is where the speakers start to roll off between 30-40Hz. It doesn't make sense to use the subs from 20-40 Hz only, I want to cross them around 80-100Hz or even 150Hz maybe.
Well, I couldn't find a pic of your setup with the Rythmiks https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;image=182166 but if you only need say a 100Hz high pass, you could use the balanced equivalent of an FMOD, http://www.shure.com/americas/products/accessories/microphones/microphone-problem-solvers/a15hp-inline-high-pass-filter. Only wildcard there is if you use some crazy 18 lb per linear ft audiophile cable, the bending forces will be significant on the sockets.

cheers,

AJ

Nick V

« Reply #26 on: 13 Sep 2018, 02:15 am »
Hi Nick V,

Regarding your overarching question “Active Analog vs DSP Crossover” my experience is both can be made to work when enough effort and time is brought to bear. I have personally had good, no make that excellent results with Marchand Electronics Inc. (http://www.marchandelec.com/) on the analog side and DEQX (https://www.deqx.com/) on the digital.

It can be a long road because in the bass region the room is such a wildly varying influence. Something you wrote above jumped out as a potential wrong turn on that road. I am especially thinking of achieving a good livable 85% solution to enjoy now and as a baseline (or should I pun and say ‘bass line’) while you incrementally learn and tweak to get the 95% perfect result we all strive for. Disclaimer I am an engineer so 100% perfect never happens in my world.

You wrote “I've played with the low pass cutoff frequency and the only place I seem to get good integration is where the speakers start to roll off between 30-40Hz. It doesn't make sense to use the subs from 20-40 Hz only, I want to cross them around 80-100Hz or even 150Hz maybe.” This line of thinking is I believe your potential wrong turn, or at least passing by a very scenic road less traveled.

In Nick V’s system we have three components that will significantly contribute bass energy.

1.   Selah Audio Vigore’s SB Acoustics 8" woofers
2.   Rythmik FM8 active subwoofers
3.   Room acoustics primarily from the mechanisms of boundary reinforcement and room nodes.

SB Acoustics makes very good woofers and Selah Audio knows what they are doing in the implementation of bass alignments so I am making an educated guess the main stereo pair can output significant energy to at least 40Hz perhaps even 30Hz. As the woofers roll off the room boundary reinforcement will act to counter their roll-off lifting up the response. Same story with the Rythmik FM8 subwoofers except they play down to 20 Hz if not lower. Now you have lots-o-bass and along come the room nodes stirring the mix with big peaks and suck-outs based on the room dimensions. Typically the primary result is one or two or three big booming peaks somewhere between 60-100 Hz.

Only heroic measures will change the room acoustics below 150 Hz and you have stated these are not acceptable as the room is multipurpose family space. The trick I want you to consider is hinted at when you wrote “seem to get good integration is where the speakers start to roll off between 30-40Hz. It doesn't make sense to use the subs from 20-40 Hz only”. It does make sense when we find the frequency of the worst offending room mode and pick the subwoofer to mains crossover frequency to purposely create a null at that frequency.

As an example say your room has a node at 55 Hz causing a 6 dB peak. With the subwoofers LPF at 40 Hz and the mains HPF at 60 or 65 Hz the energy to excite that 55 Hz peak is attenuated. The net response is smoother yielding the bliss of “good integration”. I first encountered this after auditioning and purchasing a REL sub as REL has championed very low Hz LPFs for their subwoofers for years. It is counter intuitive but a smooth response with true response in the lowest octave is quite a nice result.

This is certainly more towards the audiophile ideal and admittedly does not serve the home theater side where in the 10 to 100 Hz range mo-bass always better. And looking at the Rythmik FM8 description on their website it is very capable of playing much higher and contributing to low frequency effects and maximum system output. Going there is where in my experience DSP plus lots of measurements and experimentation is required finding and nulling out those peaks.

Enjoy the journey and happy listening.

Thanks for the information. Rick Craig from Selah Audio also gave me some good technical advice regarding how to properly measure and integrate the subwoofers. Next time I get a few hours of free time with my system I'll be doing some trial and error and taking some measurements.

The speakers on their own do play flat to below 30Hz with room gain in my room.

As you can see, the "before" curve is pretty ugly in the bass region and also the floor-bounce cancellation is pretty ugly as well.

I do sometimes like to use the speakers without subs for certain types of music of for late night listening (I keep one or two Dirac Live curves in the miniDSP for no subs) but I do also like to have the subs in play where I can crank the system up and not have the bass reach compression (1 Dirac curve with a standard house curve, and one bass boost curve for bass heavy music). The Vigore are great speakers, but they do seem to reach compression in the bass region when pushed hard with bass heavy music.

The purpose for crossing them around 80Hz-100Hz would be to maximize the punchy, articulate bass coming from the sealed, servo-controlled FM8's, and give the Vigore more dynamic headroom by relieving them of having to play the lowest bass. That 8" SB Acoustics woofer still contributes quite a bit crossing over at those frequencies. I tried it out with various crossover settings on the front L/R speakers playing through my Denon HT receiver with the subs turned off. It should give the system the ability to play louder with lower distortion.

I'm thinking I'll pick up the miniDSP SHD and see how it works for me. I put the W4S STP-SE and miniDSP DDRC-22D up for sale on audiomart. Even if I end up crossing over lower (based on trial & error and measurements), the SHD gives me a lot of flexibility to cross over wherever I want and also time alignment and different crossover slopes. I will try crossing them over everywhere between 40-100Hz just to see how the system sounds and how it measures.

brj

« Reply #27 on: 19 Sep 2018, 11:10 pm »
There are other permutations possible as well...

I perform driver correction (as specified by the speaker designer) digitally on my computer (via convolution of an impulse response filter with the live music stream in HQ Player), which outputs to my USB DAC, which then sends the analog output to my pre-amp for volume and input control, and then to my Pass Labs XVR-1 analog line-level crossover which splits the signal into tweeter and woofer components.  This pathway is fully differential from end-to-end.

Note that the preamp sends it's second set of outputs to a DCX2496, which then controls all of the subs.  (Or will, as I'm still setting this up.)

Perhaps this is a more complicated setup than many would like, but it's certainly infinitely flexible.  The XVR-1 alone provides endless options, much less what one could do digitally.

(And regardless of one's ability to manipulate things along the signal path, I'd always recommend treating the room before attempting siginficant room EQ of any kind.  And yes, the room treatment approach will very much depend on the radiation pattern of the speakers and how that pattern varies with frequency.)

More food for thought...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #28 on: 20 Sep 2018, 02:30 pm »
Late to the game but I have been busy with "vacations" as the end of summer is when all my free time comes.

I use both analog and DSP crossover.  I run 2 turntables and DSP still messes up vocal tones (Opera is my first love).  At the same time, I want deep and impactful bass for orchestral sound.  I want the cannon shots in 1812 overture to really shake the walls.  I have 4 channels of subwoofers consisting 6 drivers.  Hghs and mids are filtered with analog crossover and bass is DSPed. Marchand XM 44 (sometimes XM126 when the mood strikes) high passes ribbons and band passes the woofers of VMPS RM40 at 310Hz (1st order) and  80Hz (4th order).  HAL's DSP Music server digitally processes 2 rear facing (like the mains) VMPS Larger subwoofers (12" and 15" woofers) and 2 front facing 18" sealed subs from (now defunct) DIY Music in the rear. The subwoofers are low passed at 80 Hz (4th order) and the rear woofers are time delayed. Their relative volumes are set in the program with the woofer amps at 50% powered.  Rich Hollis from HAL came over and measured everything to calibrate the subs.  I can change poles and slopes with the program that he runs if I want to.  I would normally just mess with the volume switch on subs some times when I want more bass out of the subs.  It's amazing how music from different genre can be recorded so differently.  I venture to say you cannot listen to classical music and hip-hop with the same speakers unless you can adjust woofers.  I am happy with this arrangement.  This requires you to have 2 outputs from your preamp to feed the 2 Crossovers full output.

BTW, analog only crossover with the subs did not fare as well -- not coherent.  I think the time delay was essential.

Nick V

« Reply #29 on: 22 Sep 2018, 02:24 am »
Late to the game but I have been busy with "vacations" as the end of summer is when all my free time comes.

I use both analog and DSP crossover.  I run 2 turntables and DSP still messes up vocal tones (Opera is my first love).  At the same time, I want deep and impactful bass for orchestral sound.  I want the cannon shots in 1812 overture to really shake the walls.  I have 4 channels of subwoofers consisting 6 drivers.  Hghs and mids are filtered with analog crossover and bass is DSPed. Marchand XM 44 (sometimes XM126 when the mood strikes) high passes ribbons and band passes the woofers of VMPS RM40 at 310Hz (1st order) and  80Hz (4th order).  HAL's DSP Music server digitally processes 2 rear facing (like the mains) VMPS Larger subwoofers (12" and 15" woofers) and 2 front facing 18" sealed subs from (now defunct) DIY Music in the rear. The subwoofers are low passed at 80 Hz (4th order) and the rear woofers are time delayed. Their relative volumes are set in the program with the woofer amps at 50% powered.  Rich Hollis from HAL came over and measured everything to calibrate the subs.  I can change poles and slopes with the program that he runs if I want to.  I would normally just mess with the volume switch on subs some times when I want more bass out of the subs.  It's amazing how music from different genre can be recorded so differently.  I venture to say you cannot listen to classical music and hip-hop with the same speakers unless you can adjust woofers.  I am happy with this arrangement.  This requires you to have 2 outputs from your preamp to feed the 2 Crossovers full output.

BTW, analog only crossover with the subs did not fare as well -- not coherent.  I think the time delay was essential.

Sounds like quite a system!

I'm looking forward to trying the miniDSP SHD, then I'll go from there. I'll use the internal DACs in the SHD for the low passed XLR analog output to the subwoofers, and I'll use the coax digital output from the SHD into my Esoteric SA-50's DACs for the high passed outputs to the speakers.

Nick V

« Reply #30 on: 29 Oct 2018, 08:43 pm »
Audioscience did some measurements of the shd a couple of weeks back.  Mine should be here tomorrow and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot in my system.

-Jim

Just curious how you're liking your miniDSP SHD?

Nick V

« Reply #31 on: 30 Oct 2018, 01:41 am »
Does anyone have any experience with the Lyngdorf RoomPerfect units?

I was going to go with the miniDSP SHD (I already sold my DDRC-22D), but I noticed there's a local Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 that's available on the used market.

I would be selling my re-capped Krell KAV-250a/3 power amp and Wyred4Sound STP-SE preamp and I guess also my Esoteric SA-50 CD/SACD Player/DAC to switch over to the Lyngdorf Integrated if that's the way I go. I can set stereo crossovers for my Rythmik FM8 stereo subs on the Lyngdorf as well.