RMAF 2013 Day 2 - Tyson and Pez Coverage LIVE

WGH

Re: RMAF 2013 Day 2 - Tyson and Pez Coverage LIVE
« Reply #20 on: 12 Oct 2013, 09:30 pm »
Great reporting guys! Glad you covered Fritz, his room is always one of my faves. I'm curious what that madman Klaus of Odyssey is showing this year. A few years ago his Klismet speaker were great, the biggest sounding "monitor" speaker I have ever heard.

Wayne

OzarkTom

« Reply #21 on: 12 Oct 2013, 09:40 pm »
Steve Guttenberg of Chesky Records  told Jim Vaughn that he had the best sound of any that he has ever  heard at the shows. Those plasma drivers is probably the main reason for Steve's comment.

Pez

« Reply #22 on: 12 Oct 2013, 10:10 pm »
We might go visit it. A lot going on but maybe.

We are going to see Klaus on Sunday.

rbbert

« Reply #23 on: 12 Oct 2013, 10:20 pm »
So the Zellaton room was playing CDs this year!  Excellent!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #24 on: 12 Oct 2013, 10:45 pm »
Has anybody heard the Audio Kinesis room?

OzarkTom

« Reply #25 on: 12 Oct 2013, 10:48 pm »
So the Zellaton room was playing CDs this year!  Excellent!

Zellatons are hard to beat, mine sure has me spoiled.

Pez

« Reply #26 on: 12 Oct 2013, 11:34 pm »

Tomorrow.

seadogs1

« Reply #27 on: 12 Oct 2013, 11:53 pm »
How about the Vapor Audio Joule Whites tomorrow?

rbbert

« Reply #28 on: 12 Oct 2013, 11:56 pm »
How about the Vapor Audio Joule Whites tomorrow?

Their post about Vapor Audio stated their intention to visit that system tomorrow?

jhm731

« Reply #29 on: 13 Oct 2013, 12:11 am »
Wilson Room

OMG, the absolutely freaking best sound at the whole show.  No, check that, best sound of any show ever!  Best sound in the whole entire world, I mean entire universe!!!!!! 

But I have to warn you, only the cool kids are allowed access to this room.  Press badges seem to the be magical, golden key to unlock the doors to this mythical realm of audio bliss. 

No, not really.  We were actually turned away at the door and informed that "structured" presentations were being done and allowing us in 5 minutes after a demo started was on par with showing up late to the ballet.  NO WILSON FOR YOU!!!!!!!!  Wow, 2 dickish rooms in a row.  Amazing.

The WA Room:

Looks like Dave Wilson was packing them in:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #30 on: 13 Oct 2013, 12:21 am »
The WA Room:

Looks like Dave Wilson was packing them in:

One of the ugliest speaker I have seen.

seadogs1

« Reply #31 on: 13 Oct 2013, 12:40 am »
Thanks rbbert! I don't know how I missed that. Guys you are doing a GREAT job!

pansixt

« Reply #32 on: 13 Oct 2013, 12:48 am »
Turn around room from last year Huh?  Wiiillsonnnn? Good to know they sounded good. Wells Fargo ATM won't give me enough
bank roll to flash to get in. Maybe my old National Press Club Member card will work.

But wait, We have the two most objective and discerning folks to gain entry for us.... Ah shit, no substitute for the hands (ears on) on.

Thanks a million T and P

J-Pak

« Reply #33 on: 13 Oct 2013, 01:16 am »
A couple of my friends said the High Water Sound room sounds really good; speakers are Cessaro horns, one of their smaller models.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #34 on: 13 Oct 2013, 01:50 am »

Yes. I thought it was excellent...it's laid back, very easy to listen to but isn't lacking detail either. I prefer a more forward, somewhat brighter sound. I especially liked the depth of the sound stage and it's ability to resolve a loud, complicated track of Bela Fleck playing live that many systems fail at. There were some minor bass issues in the room but not horrible.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #35 on: 13 Oct 2013, 05:16 pm »

Tyson Notes

General Room Notes – Canjam!  Did you know that Canjam is the single largest headphone expo in the world?  That’s right, and it happens right here in Denver every year.  It has grown from a few vendors scattered about that huge event center, to being completely packed this year.  And it was busy, the most foot traffic I’ve seen of anyplace in the show.  And, not just a bunch of old people either.  Actual young people were there!  Lots of them, too.  People say that our hobby is dying out, but it’s not true – the audiophiles of the next generation are cutting their teeth on headphones.  And, because they are younger, and digitally based with their music, and it’s actually a real growth market, this area has the one thing you don’t really see at the rest of the show – true innovation.

Jason’s Notes

So CanJam is crazy big these days. Amazingly big. It's getting to the point that the vendors are way too close together and it's crowded. Used to be you could see it all in a matter of a few hours now it's so overwhelming we actually sorta just made a b-line to the iFi table as we had heard from various people that we have to go check them out.

Tyson's Notes

Speaking of  innovation– we did hit the iFi booth.  It is run by the same guys that did the Avatar room last year.  This year they have gone small.  Very, very small.  They have a full line of iFi stuff based on some pretty cool trickle down technology.  The coolest part is that it’s mainly PC audio focused, and it sounds seriously good.  The Audeze headphones that they had set up are a model I’ve heard several times in several different setups.  It always sounded good, but kind of mediocre in the past.  Which is what I was expecting here.  Queue up Michael Jackson and I swear to God that it’s the best I have EVER heard that album sound.  Who knew that the Audeze’s were world class headphones?  Guess they just needed the right front end gear to really shine.  Oh, and for you bargain shoppers, these things are cheap.  Lets put it this way, I have never bought any gear from any manufacturer at RMAF, ever.  That changed this year – I walked away from the iFi booth with not one, but 2 new boxes – a USB-SPDIF converter, and a dual run USB cable. 

Jason’s Notes

Sure enough iFi was an amazing experience. A lot of great gear all specifically designed for computer audio and mobile phone/tablet audio. Great looking gear and that mini system..... Wow el84 amplication, Bluetooth this and that, the thing is a perfect fusion of old school with a new thang. We didn't get a chance to listen to it as there is some sort of CanJam rule against playing sound through speakers, but it looks amazing none the less.

We did walk around and listen to a couple of other booths, and  there were some very cool art-deco headphone stands with an integrated amp, dac, and volume control built in, but they were in use and we didn’t get to listen.  But it was very, very, very cool, and one of the most innovative products at the whole show. 

standub

« Reply #36 on: 13 Oct 2013, 06:11 pm »
Glad to see I was the only one that really dig the ifi stuff.

DTB300

« Reply #37 on: 13 Oct 2013, 07:57 pm »
The iFi USB Power is also another excellent product of theirs...

a.wayne

« Reply #38 on: 13 Oct 2013, 08:09 pm »
Yes. I thought it was excellent...it's laid back, very easy to listen to but isn't lacking detail either. I prefer a more forward, somewhat brighter sound. I especially liked the depth of the sound stage and it's ability to resolve a loud, complicated track of Bela Fleck playing live that many systems fail at. There were some minor bass issues in the room but not horrible.

Ok, So it was avg .....

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 13 Oct 2013, 11:47 pm »
Any more about CanJam gents'?  I would love to hear your takes on the new Audeze headphones and JH Audio's Roxanne.