A mini review of the D200's.

DaveX

« on: 30 Mar 2006, 06:19 pm »
The D200's really do amaze me on most (make that all) recordings. Badfinger - Straight Up on Vinyl sounded amazing when played through the D200's. I could clearly hear some digital editing of the tracks where they made a digital master from the original analog tape, the digital master was used to make the Vinyl reissue. My old Cary 300BSE monoblocks didn't produce this micro detail at all, the Cary's also sound a bit anaemic in the bass. The D200's told me (OK, I heard it) that I had to replace a microphonic tube in my pre-amp, whereas the Cary monoblocks fitted with EH300B gold grids masked over the microphonic tube making it less noticeable. I'm discovering something new in every recording I play. I'm very happy with the D200's and don't miss the Cary's at all. Thanks Dusty.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2006, 06:39 pm »
DaveX:
 Me too!! Count me in as a happy owner of Dusty's D-200's

Cheers
                       Charlie

chadh

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2006, 06:41 pm »
Every time I read about someone's experience with the Channel Islands class D amps, I start coveting a pair.  But then I start to wonder, "Do I really want a pair of amps that reveal that the rest of my components and all of my source material is broken or flawed?"  Unfortunately, the answer is "YES!"

I'm trying to control my envy.

Chad

denjo

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2006, 12:35 am »
Even radio broadcast through the D200 ruthlessly reveals the quality of the recording and the nature of the source (CD or vinyl). No other amplifier I have owned is so revealing. I am thoroughly enjoying my D200s! Dusty should get the Nobel prize for the best thing that has happened to hifi! And, to bring such a musical experience within the reach of more people is a worthy goal. I only wished more people would just give the D200s a try for themselves. And, for those without the opportunity to audition one, I would encourage them to buy one on faith!! It will be one of your best investment decisions, proving to be the best cure for "upgradititis" and bringing you to the realm of musical experience that is only second to actually being in a concert hall or recording studio! The D200 is that good!

Nick B

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2006, 12:44 am »
denjo             what other amps have you owned?

denjo

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2006, 01:46 am »
Nick B

I sent you a PM because of delicacy of subject! Otherwise, the big boys would really feel quite ashamed with this Goliath slayer!

Best regards
Dennis

Nick B

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2006, 02:56 am »
I got it. A very extensive and impressive list.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2006, 03:17 am »
Hey!! Come on now guys. Charlie wants to know what other amps denjo has compared to the D-200's
 The D-200's I have were a lot more musical to the other amps in the same price range that I auditioned. Never heard a $5K  or so amp so I can't do a comparison.
 Right now I've got my APL SACD 1000 playing Peter Whites Perfect Moment CD. Sure does sound good. Hell of a lot better than the other amps I've had.

Cheers
                                   Charlie

imassarano

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2006, 06:57 am »
Hi DaveX,

It seems that I may have prompted a positive response from you from my previous thread concerning the SPL! review, and it is noble of you.

It does indeed speak volumes that you do not miss highly regarded amps like the Carys in favour of the D200's.

But what I (an inexperienced audiophile) would like to know is, do the D200's give the sort of image depth and solidity of a good valve (tube) amp?

Isaac

DaveX

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2006, 04:03 pm »
Quote from: imassarano
It seems that I may have prompted a positive response from you from my previous thread concerning the SPL! review, and it is noble of you.
Sorry but it was now't to do with your post.

But what I (an inexperienced audiophile) would like to know is, do the D200's give the sort of image depth and solidity of a good valve (tube) amp?
Class D amplifiers will offer more solidity than a tube amp especially in the bass region.

imassarano

« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2006, 06:18 pm »
Thanks DaveX,

Class D amplifiers will offer more solidity than a tube amp especially in the bass region.[/quote]

O.k. I can understand the bass, and the superlative job Dusty does, but what about the mid-range and the image depth where valve amps excel.

DaveX

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2006, 06:58 pm »
but what about the mid-range and the image depth where valve amps excel.

The midrange and image depth of the D200's excel over the Cary 300B amps that I sold, but that's just my opinion. As I said, I don't miss the Cary's at all, and the best part of them was their midrange.

imassarano

« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2006, 08:05 pm »
DaveX,

Thanks a million, now you've convinced me. Now's the time to save up.

Isaac

askl2000

« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2006, 06:34 am »
I made my d200 purchase completely blind/deaf without even an audition. All it took was reading through this forum on the many super satisfied owners that 'downgraded' from hi end costly amps to d100/200s... :lol:

Can't wait for them to be delivered...

ohlins

« Reply #14 on: 3 Apr 2006, 04:44 pm »
oh it's a very risky way to buy an amp based on subjective opinions. haha but in this case, i am pretty sure u will like the CIA amps.

askl2000

« Reply #15 on: 3 Apr 2006, 06:53 pm »
Quote from: ohlins
oh it's a very risky way to buy an amp based on subjective opinions. haha but in this case, i am pretty sure u will like the CIA amps.

I wouldn't really call it a risk considering how cheap they are compared to the many big brands out there that cost many times as much...

I have auditioned the Nuforce amps, and found them to be detailed, but lacking in feeling, imho. So I guess going with CIA was an obvious choice! 8)