iDac with Off-Ramp 4 - TAS review

DaveBSC

Re: iDac with Off-Ramp 4 - TAS review
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov 2011, 11:23 pm »
Thanks Steve. A somewhat unrelated question - how important is the USB cable with the latest OR4/5, and do you have any plans to carry cables from another provider? The Acoustic Revive cables seem really impressive, and are the only ones I've seen described as comparable with Lee's cables.

audioengr

« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov 2011, 12:19 am »
Thanks Steve. A somewhat unrelated question - how important is the USB cable with the latest OR4/5, and do you have any plans to carry cables from another provider? The Acoustic Revive cables seem really impressive, and are the only ones I've seen described as comparable with Lee's cables.

I'm convinced that any cable differences are small and due to the common-mode noise, not jitter in the signal.  I have customers that swear that cables dont make any difference and others who do.  It may just be the AC outlets that they are plugging into causing ground loop noise.

I made a filter for this noise and it does improve things, but that test was done when I had my Mini plugged into one AC circuit and the Off-Ramp into another.  Need to try this again now that everything plugs into the same AC circuit.

Steve N.

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:21 am »
Just got my Stereophile, congrats Steve on a great review.
Chris H.

firedog

« Reply #23 on: 9 Dec 2011, 08:53 am »
Do you know of any comparisons of the OR vs. the Berkeley Alpha USB? These are the two I'm most interested in. Even if the Diverter solves all of the USB power issues, the price is so high that it's silly. If you're going to spend nearly $3,000 you might as well just skip the converter altogether and buy a USB DAC.

the only one I've seen:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/41477-Bryston-Berkeley-Alpha-And-Off-Ramp?highlight=berkeley+ramp

Ok - the Alpha. Tried it with my Metrum. I think it is above the Audiophilleo but maybe with a slight milkiness. Hooked up the Off-Ramp - entirely different class - afraid it blows the Berkeley away. More analogue like, richer, greater detail, total lack of any milkiness. Everything I have tried against it is the same - the Wavelength and now the Berkeley come the closest - I rate the Berkeley about the same as the Wavelength from memory. Considering its cost I would have expected it to be closer but there you go.

audioengr

« Reply #24 on: 9 Dec 2011, 06:32 pm »
Cool.  It outclasses the Berkeley and the Audiophilleo.  The only one left to beat is the new Diverter at $2800.00.   :thumb:

The test unit did not have the USB Hynes reg in it either.

BTW, I did further testing of my USB cable filter.  Makes a huge difference, even if the Mac Mini is plugged into the same AC outlet as the Off-Ramp or Overdrive.  I'm sending one to JA at Stereophile to try along with his USB Hynes upgraded Off-Ramp 4.

Steve N.

R-A-W

« Reply #25 on: 12 Feb 2012, 10:16 am »
Steve,

Will the HotRod dac be based on an OR5?
If yes how come there is such a small price difference with the addition of a complete dac section.

Roger

audioengr

« Reply #26 on: 12 Feb 2012, 05:54 pm »
Steve,

Will the HotRod dac be based on an OR5?
If yes how come there is such a small price difference with the addition of a complete dac section.

Roger

It uses the USB module of the OR5, and a one of the power supplies.  These typically cost $350 and $300.  This leaves enough for the D/A part and output stage.   It will not have Turboclock.  A stock OR5 is $1299.00.  This should come in about $1499.00.  Just an estimate.

Steve N.

R-A-W

« Reply #27 on: 12 Feb 2012, 08:16 pm »
Will turboclock be an option?

Roger

audioengr

« Reply #28 on: 13 Feb 2012, 01:07 am »
Will turboclock be an option?

Roger

I doubt it.  I dont think it will fit anyway...

Steve N.

tpaxadpom

« Reply #29 on: 14 Feb 2012, 08:00 pm »
nevermind

audioengr

ulogin

« Reply #31 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:11 pm »
Just got a Meridian Explorer and am wondering if Off-Ramp 4 or 5 would do anything. Any advice?

audioengr

« Reply #32 on: 16 Mar 2013, 05:45 pm »
Just got a Meridian Explorer and am wondering if Off-Ramp 4 or 5 would do anything. Any advice?

I'm afraid not.  Its already got a USB interface.  If it had a S/PDIF input, the OR5 would help.

Steve N.