MHDT dac's

Les Lammers

MHDT dac's
« on: 28 Nov 2018, 03:47 pm »
Anyone using one of these to stream hi-rez?

Les Lammers

Re: MHDT dac's
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2018, 06:33 pm »
Dcooney, I need a reply so I can contact you from here. Can't do it from the other place. 8)

decooney

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2018, 09:53 pm »
Hello Les,

Yes. I’m streaming higher res content to my recently new MHDT Orchid NOS non-oversampling DAC and it sounds great. Pleasantly surprised with less than 20 hours burn-in time so far.

jMelvin

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2018, 04:18 pm »
Les, are looking for opinions? I've had my Pagoda since June and love it. I stream my own flac files and use various services (Deezer HiFi, Pandora, TuneIn Radio).

Les Lammers

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2018, 04:59 pm »
Les, are looking for opinions? I've had my Pagoda since June and love it. I stream my own flac files and use various services (Deezer HiFi, Pandora, TuneIn Radio).

No. The purpose of the post was to message decooney. I have had the original Havana for 8-9 years and will get an Orchid. I can't believe I've had it that long either.  8) Their dac's are quite good for the money. Just pick your flavor.

jMelvin

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2018, 05:07 pm »
I suspected as much. Enjoy the Orchid when the time comes.

decooney

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2018, 03:33 pm »
It's great to read folks have experienced long term use and enjoyment with the Havana and Pagoda.

I'd never purchased anything directly overseas before without going through a local dealer. This was a first.  It was very easy to deal with Juin at MHDT for my Orchid. This give hopes if I ever had an issue with it I could send it back for repairs, if I ever needed to. The DAC arrived really fast, just as Less Lammers described.

The orchid seems to be well built, and I could tell immediately the sound was a different "flavor" compared to my other solid state DACs.  The first few days of use was a bit of a roller coaster for sure, smooth, to a bit edgy, now kinda back to smooth again, and now looking forward to long listening leaving it on all weekend this coming weekend.  And, of course, as Less Lammers mentioned (and others), could always start playing with different tubes.  The Orchid came with one tube installed and a spare.  I plan to let the first tube run in for at least the first 30 days as recommended. 

Anxious to get a full 30 days on it and see if it changes any more.  At 4 hours of play time, sounds real nice.  What I enjoy the most is how lower grade recordings still sound nice, or better than any of my solid state DACs had provided before. I suspect that's the tube part kicking in, and tube in my DAC, preamp, amp all works really well together, still having great detail coming through but not feeling too laid back or not feeling harsh at all, like the nice middle ground of porridge... "just right". :)