Magnepan .7's

Tomy2Tone

Magnepan .7's
« on: 24 Sep 2018, 04:08 pm »
I've only been to a few audio shows but I can remember going in to a room with Magnepan speakers and not being impressed at all but knowing they have such a following I'm sure I'm not hearing what they can ultimately do. I think most have said its hard for a hotel room to really show what a Maggie speaker can do so I'm looking to go and find a dealer who has a demo room and try and hear the .7's. From the little I've read the .7's seem to be in a nice sweet spot money wise and have also seen people say they are different than other Maggie speakers.

Anybody here have a chance to listen to or own these speaker and can offer any insight as to how they sound compared to others in the Maggie lineup?

jaylevine

Re: Magnepan .7's
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2018, 05:04 pm »
Hi,

My .7s are being delivered today! I owned 1.7s and 3.7s when they first came out, but had to sell as I downsized living space, so I do have some baseline for comparison.

However, my current room is 10x10 compared to a much larger space previously. Maybe even more impactful is my electronics have evolved from a full stack of Byston SS gear (Apple/Audrivarna sever, DAC, pre-amp, amp) to a single SONOS Connect box feeding a Bob Latino VTA 120 tube amp---kind of apples to pomegranates at best.

I'll post once I get them broken in....

Jay

desafinado

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2018, 08:37 pm »
I have been enjoying my MG .7 for about a month.  They were a dealer demo pair so I know they are well broken-in
Compared to my MMGs they offer better bass extension and more clarity throughout the frequency range.  They
also energize my 24 x 17 plus room easily compared to the MMGs with no sense of strain.  They seem to "disappear"
more often than the baby Maggies.

The MG .7 are more coherent than the Tympani IVa but the QR tweeter is still no match for a ribbon tweet even though the ribbon
seems to stand out a bit.  The Tympani also have that commanding "presence" that is unmatched except by the 20 series
and the MG 30.7s which I have yet to hear.

jaylevine

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2018, 09:48 pm »
Not sure you are still shopping around for opinions...

Have my .7s about 2 weeks now and probably 40 hours of listening.

Like my previous 3.7s and 1.7s, liquid mids and razor sharp treble (within limits of the QR compared to the 3.7s)--both traits I love.

Not quite as much a disappear factor as the larger units, but they share the same coherence top to bottom as the other units.

Lastly, the dynamic range simply isn't there compared to either of my previous units, but the room dynamics are completely different along with the electronics driving them (my 3.7 and 1.7s were both driven by the same gear--my .7s are driven by much lower powered gear that simply doesn't measure up to my old Bryston stack). So not sure that insight means very much.

Jay