Tube pre with Bryston amps

PRELUDE

Tube pre with Bryston amps
« on: 30 May 2011, 01:37 am »
I am curious how many of you are using tube pre with Bryston amps.
I have been using my sonic frontiers line 2 for a long time now and had some good experiment.
Years back one of my friends bought the sonic frontiers tube amp[power 2]and brought it over.As far I was using active so I used the tube as a amp to drive the tweeter and oh boy I did like it.I disconnect the sonic frontiers and put my 4bsst back and start al over again.Every thing came back to normal.I did not want to be the judge so I called 12 people to listen to the system and none of them liked the tube.
It was interesting for me because I asked many times that why I am not using tube for mid and tweeter.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Tube pre with Bryston amps
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2011, 01:46 am »

Hi PRELUDE : I use a passive tube pre ( Manley Jumbo Shrimp ) with my Brystons and am quite happy with the result. It's not the "tubiest" tube pre you're ever going to hear - not super warm or bloomy - but it's working for me. :D

D.D.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2011, 02:27 am »
A preproduction Purity One running early '60s pair of Mullards with my 4B which turns 30 next month is just fine by me.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2011, 02:47 am »
My main preamp is a Bryston BP-26.
However i use a tube preamp as a tube buffer for ALL digital before it goes to the Bryston preamp.
That VAC Standard uses 2 x 12AX7 and  2 x 12Au7 tubes.
I anso have a Bryston phono for my Rega P5 with Benz Glider.  And another preamp just using the phono in it for the second TT which is a Kuzma Stogi S with a Dynavector 17D3. That one is a Audio Research Sp-15 with a three tube phono section.

skunark

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2011, 03:37 am »
I recently picked up my first tube component, a McIntosh C2300 pre-amp, and felt it was a really good combo with my Bryston amp (4BSST2).   I did a home audition with both the BP26 and the C2300, both are truly amazing, just felt the C2300 had enough of an edge to beat the BP26 in sound.  Really felt it just had more dynamics and a more precise soundstage, but the BP26 at the right volume (a bit louder than I like) was brilliant.   

To be honest I would have picked up the BP26 after hearing them with the Aerial Acoustics 20T if a few ergonomics issues didn't exist.  The Aerial Acoustics 20Ts with 7BSST2 + BP26 + BCD1 is the best system I've heard and I assume a lot of it is detail is from the ribbon tweater.  I would have like to have heard them with the 28BSST2 I'm sure the detail would have been even better at the lower end ... But i'm rambling.

If you can do a home demo go for it, nothing wrong experimenting.  I plan to check out the ARC27 in a few months to compare against the C2300, all it is is a charge with the gamble you might not return it :)...

klao

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2011, 04:04 am »
I'm driving my 7B-SST2 with the Aesthetix Calypso Signature with w/ Fisher (Telefunken) ECC83/12AX7 & Electro-Harmonix 6922EH (stock) tubes.  So far, so good.   :wink:

Ron D

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2011, 01:35 pm »
Driving my 7B-SST2 with an ARC LS-26 although the preamp is using 6H30 tubes which are reportedly one of the least "tube sounding" designs...

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2011, 01:48 pm »
I use a Modwright LS36.5DM with a 14BSST

rahman

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2011, 11:05 am »
I'm running a vacuum state svp-1 with my 14bsst.  great combination!

bjski

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2011, 03:34 pm »
I am using a BAT 32SE with 7BSST/2.I also have BCD-1 and BDA-1.Need to save up and get a BDP.

Levi

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2011, 05:32 pm »
Nice!  Another BAT owner.  :thumb:

I am using a BAT 32SE with 7BSST/2.I also have BCD-1 and BDA-1.Need to save up and get a BDP.

PRELUDE

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2011, 08:39 pm »
Nice to see some of you like the combination and just in case if some one interested in to know.I know a guy who bought a 14bsst and using CONRAND JOHNSON [Premier 17] and his very happy with the combination.

Viajero5000

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2011, 08:58 pm »
The only tube pre-amp that had a sufficiently low noise floor and proper bass control in my system was a Wyetech Labs Opal (with upgraded tubes) paired with a 14B-ST.  This combination produced tube bloom, holography and texture coupled with very articulate bass.  I use a BP26 with my 14B-SST2, and have paired the Opal with Wyetech's own excellent Topaz SET mono-blocks. 

Other tube pre-amps which did not work properly in my system were: Cary SLP98 (textured sound and open mids but uncontrolled, rolled off bass), ARC LS26 (bland and veiled), Audio Note (forget the model but bass rolled off), and a Chinese tube pre-amp (very affordable but too noisy). 

wrathchild

• Bryston Ballistics
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2011, 05:24 am »
Sonic Frontiers Line 3, modded by Chris J, with 28B SST's. I'm very happy with it powering Maggie 3.6R's.

BrysTony

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2011, 12:56 pm »
I like my BP-26 but the lack of a HT pass through has me thinking about going in a different direction.  I have been thinking about getting a used Audio Research Ref 3; however, I read a review that says the ARC LS 27 (new for a little more $) is better and approaches the REF 5 in sound quality.  The LS 27 replaces the LS 26 which a post above says was "bland and veiled".  Any other experience with ARC and Bryston amps?

Tony

Viajero5000

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jun 2011, 02:01 pm »
The LS 27 replaces the LS 26 which a post above says was "bland and veiled".  Any other experience with ARC and Bryston amps?

Tony

As with many of these mix n match experiments, it may have been a synergy issue with my particular set up, as many Bryston owners successfully use various ARC pre-amps in their systems.  In my studio monitor style system though, it simply did not work.

ChrisBo

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jun 2011, 03:44 pm »
Any body have a E.A.R or Copland tube pre amp matched up with there Bryston gear?

I took a brief look at both of these a few months ago although, I didn't get a chance to bring either home for a test run.

Thanks

PRELUDE

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jun 2011, 08:25 pm »
Any body have a E.A.R or Copland tube pre amp matched up with there Bryston gear?

I took a brief look at both of these a few months ago although, I didn't get a chance to bring either home for a test run.

Thanks
Copland worked nice with 7bst years back.Not the unit that I owned so I do not remember the model.

ellsworth

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:21 pm »
For anyone using a tube pre with Bryston power, did you compare it to a Bryston pre? If so, any comments? Thanks.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #19 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:24 pm »
Nope.

D.D.