Pure Music / Airfoil / Airport

oskar

Pure Music / Airfoil / Airport
« on: 24 Aug 2011, 04:57 pm »
Hi, I'm wondering if others are using this set up. Is there any point in trying the upsampling feature in PM over Airfoil? In PM prefs there the option for 'maximum fidelity" or NOS classic. 'Maximum fidelity' has a nice ring to it but pointless if the signal is down sampled pre dac. I know that Airtunes can only do 16/44.1. Is the Airport the limiting factor or can it accept higher samples if being fed by Airfoil. Also, could someone please explain what dithered volume / noise shaping means. Thanks, Airhead

neekomax

Re: Pure Music / Airfoil / Airport
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2011, 05:25 pm »
Do you have a 24/96 DAC? If so, it's possible that you might be streaming high res over Airfoil. Problem is, I've never been able to find out the exact streaming capabilities of Airfoil in order to find out.

I'm using the demo of Pure Music, streaming via Airfoil to Apple TV (V2). My DAC (Peachtree Audio Decco) converts at 16/44.1, so it's kind of a moot issue for me. But I am interested in knowing, for the future, what the streaming capabilities are of Airfoil/Airtunes/ATV/AEX.

oskar

Re: Pure Music / Airfoil / Airport
« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2011, 04:12 pm »
Well I've searched around and cannot find a way to move this thread. Nor can I delete it. I did find my answer on Channel D site. "Supports Airport Express (limited to CD quality, 44.1 kHz) With Third Party Software (Airfoil)"