How Well Will CAM's Perform With A 3.5 wpc SET In A Small Room Nearfield Setup?

Slapshot

As the Subject says, very interested if 3.5 wpc from a wonderful SET amp I am about to acquire can optimally, or at least effectively, drive a pair of CAMs in a small 10x20 room, about five feet from the listening position, and one foot off the wall, in a nearfield configuration? Or is there a different Omega monitor I should be considering instead? Thanks for any help.

JC

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
The CAM is your best Omega option for a 3.5 wpc amp.  Tried a 7 wpc amp with 90 dB/w/m speakers and it worked remarkably well.  But jumping up to 40 watts turned the speakers from polite dinner guest into linebackers in tuxedos (more dynamics, better resolution as the amp provided a more commanding grip on the speakers).

RDavidson

Decware Zen is 2 wpc and has no problems with CAMs nearfield. I'm speaking from first hand experience.

AvsFan

Decware Zen is 2 wpc and has no problems with CAMs nearfield. I'm speaking from first hand experience.

And that Super ZEN is one of the best sounding amps I have ever heard with a pair of Omega speakers.

AvsFan

The CAM is your best Omega option for a 3.5 wpc amp.  Tried a 7 wpc amp with 90 dB/w/m speakers and it worked remarkably well.  But jumping up to 40 watts turned the speakers from polite dinner guest into linebackers in tuxedos (more dynamics, better resolution as the amp provided a more commanding grip on the speakers).

How about the speaker? Is that  the best bet for a speaker in a room like this? I ask because I am in a similar situation. I am going to spend under $1500 and need a speaker in a small room close to the wall and corners.

RDavidson

How about the speaker? Is that  the best bet for a speaker in a room like this? I ask because I am in a similar situation. I am going to spend under $1500 and need a speaker in a small room close to the wall and corners.

With 3xrs you may want a small subwoofer, but it's hard to say. I've owned the 3xrs and can say room acoustics play significant role in their overall presentation. With the CAMs a sub is more optional. The CAMs have more midbass weight. Really, both benefit from a sub, but the CAMs are more flexible in that regard.