WTL "House Sound" Compared

Wharf_Rat

WTL "House Sound" Compared
« on: 12 Feb 2014, 07:08 pm »
Hi forum,

I will shortly be upgrading from my Rega and have narrowed my choices down to the Amadeus (maybe GTA) and the VPI Classic (Probably 1). I love the idea of the Amadeus. I may be able to hear it in a showroom alongside the VPI as my nearest dealer sells both. Problem is, with so many possible variables of set-up, cartridge and all other gear in signal chain, I am leery of my ears' being able to isolate elements of sound to the TT tonearm combination, particularly with a one-time listening session (nearest dealer is 3 hours away).

I have read several comparisons between the VPIs and WTLs, but they usually reduce to "the Amadeus trounced the VPI" or some such. Likewise, I have read reference to the VPI or WTL "house sounds" but am having trouble understanding precisely what's meant by that as I don't have much opportunity at all to listen to either.

I wonder if anyone could help me understand how the two brands, generally, compare to one-another sonically? Are some types of music more suitable to one or the other? I listen to lots of acoustic/bluegrass/folk music, jazz, old soul/gospel, R&B and rock (generally late 60's-early 80's stuff). Not a terrible amount of classical but would like to build a better collection there. What are the relative advantages of the two 'tables? Any significant trade-offs either way?

Apologize for asking what I am sure is a rather remedial question, but really am having a hard time sorting it out in my other reading, and fear I will not have a great amount of auditioning time. Thanks!

watercourse

Re: WTL "House Sound" Compared
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2014, 09:11 pm »
Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Both are very good tables. I also was in your same position, with a highly modified P5 paired with Audiomods arm. I had the good fortune of being able to compare the Rega, VPI Classic, and the Simplex tables in my system.

Based on your taste in music and your experience with Rega, I think you've got it narrowed down well to two solid choices. With the ability to hear both tables in the same room and system, you're in the best position to take the next step. I'd try to see whether you could use the same cart on both tables, maybe one that you are familiar with, and control variables as much as possible to really hone in on the differences between the tables. Bring a variety of LPs you're familiar with - of varying quality and genres too - to see how flexible the tables are.

watercourse

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2014, 09:34 pm »
Sonic signature: I'd say the VPI is more "accurate", the WTL line more "musical" using the same carts IME. VPI has a bit more frequency extension, possibly more stable speedwise, and is more dynamic, but the WTL is more liquid and coherent, and not lacking in dynamics IMHO. Midrange is richer with WTL, the VPI sounds more linear or neutral. Both are very revealing and excellent playback systems.

Drawbacks: VPI's arm design is infinitely adjustable, and is easy to do so repeatably, but I've found this cuts both ways (I find you are focusing more on the gear than the music when I listen to VPIs, always wondering whether VTA is optimal, etc.). WTL has provided some limited methods to consistently set up offset, VTA, VTF, rotation speed, and damping, but at the same time, it can be done relatively easily. If you only use one cart, then both can be set and forget.

Unipivot arms aren't for everyone, and neither is the WTL arm. However, I think the WTL arm has the tracking advantage due to the damping system. The VPI system is truly adjustable on the fly, and is very precise, but I'll tell you that a good friend and VPI devotee questioned the consistency of some VPI arm tubes which he found unequal in length though nominally the same eff length - but this doesn't mean anything other than "beware the illusion of precision", and have tools to help you get the best from your setup, regardless of make and model.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2014, 09:51 pm »
I'd try to see whether you could use the same cart on both tables, maybe one that you are familiar with, and control variables as much as possible to really hone in on the differences between the tables. Bring a variety of LPs you're familiar with - of varying quality and genres too - to see how flexible the tables are.

+1

Dealers know that customers will want to A/B tables, and so will often have two carts of the same make that can be used for those purposes.

Here's hoping that as many variables as possible can be held the same.

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2014, 09:59 pm »
I'd also mention that in addition to set-up being set-it and forget it, with the WTL you get to avoid  the upgrade bug. For better for worse.

There are a number of potential upgrade paths for the VPI, from the SDS, to suspension to platters, and to tonearms. So be incrementally improved i n ways a WTL can't.

Wharf_Rat

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2014, 12:21 am »
Thanks for all the input. I think I will see what I can arrange as far as a true A/B comparison on the two units. Part of me likes the fact that the VPI offers so much in terms of adjustments and feels I might miss that on the WTL; the other part of me could easily see being driven to madness (or perhaps simply distraction) dinking with things endlessly instead of sitting back to music.

Same story with upgrade path. Partly find great appeal in the honesty of a table that is what it is (and presumably made as well as it could be) and would be annoyed to plunk down that sort of cash only to feel like my table is somehow incomplete without, I dunno, a $700 stainless steel peripheral ring or a 3D-Printed tonearm... but then would I miss it? Impossible questions to answer!

On that topic - I actually do like the idea of the ring clamp for some of my badly warped records. Does anyone use anything to flatten things out and how does the table do with it? As I understand it, the WTL does pretty well with warps overall, but still curious.

Thanks again

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2014, 02:16 am »
Thanks for all the input. I think I will see what I can arrange as far as a true A/B comparison on the two units. Part of me likes the fact that the VPI offers so much in terms of adjustments and feels I might miss that on the WTL; the other part of me could easily see being driven to madness (or perhaps simply distraction) dinking with things endlessly instead of sitting back to music.

Same story with upgrade path. Partly find great appeal in the honesty of a table that is what it is (and presumably made as well as it could be) and would be annoyed to plunk down that sort of cash only to feel like my table is somehow incomplete without, I dunno, a $700 stainless steel peripheral ring or a 3D-Printed tonearm... but then would I miss it? Impossible questions to answer!

On that topic - I actually do like the idea of the ring clamp for some of my badly warped records. Does anyone use anything to flatten things out and how does the table do with it? As I understand it, the WTL does pretty well with warps overall, but still curious.

Thanks again

All understandable points for sure. And as someone else said: Welcome to AC!

You are fortunate to be able to hear both tables, that more than anything will make the biggest difference.

Then if the sound is close, these other factors may come into play.

I started with the Amadeus, and the lack of upgrade temptation was very nice for a long while. Then I got a great deal on a Townshend Rock 7 (cheaper than what I paid for the Amadeus, incl a Rega 301 arm!). That was the other table I was contemplating buying when I grabbed the Amadeus. Played them side-by-side and ended up preferring the Rock (you can see my thread on the Rock on AC that compares it to the Amadeus; I largely agreed with Greene's description of the two in Absolute Sound). BUT the sound was very close. And I got some cash savings by going with what for me was a cheaper Rock. So sold the WTA. And then I had the opportunity for motor and tonearm upgrades (goodbye cash savings, big time). They have been fun, worthwhile to me for the sound I am looking for and on my budget. Got I a point that I was glad to be able to squeeze extra goodness out of the Rock platform, especially moving all the way up to a Moerch DP-8.  All of this said, I am lucky to be single when doing this and not needing to explain these purchases as I try to improve an already fabulous table.

Oh, and for warped records get a Vinyl Flat. Great investment.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2014, 03:59 pm »
I haven't compared my Versalex to the VPI but I have heard several decks over the years including the best from Linn, Rega, Brinkman and admittedly years ago Townsend. The latest WT's don't have the zing of a fully rigged LP12 or the ultra low distortion of say a top Brinkman but they are involving (through solid Pace, Rhythm and Timing), produce plenty of acoustic and detail, with low fatigue and coloration. Stick a top Dynavector cartridge in any of them and they will fair well in comparisons with any other deck IMHO.

watercourse

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2014, 05:00 pm »
I have some warped LPs that only the WTL can track. I have not tried them with a VPI arm though.

I have used a periphery ring on other tables, and my previously mentioned VPI buddy will occasionally use one. IME they may flatten records, but may introduce other sonic issues.

Also, VPI add-ons other than motor upgrades really should be viewed as fine-tuning the sound you're after, rather than as performance improvements IMHO. It becomes very expensive when you're just curious, however. Then again, VPI gear tend to hold their value.

Wharf_Rat

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2014, 04:59 pm »
Great input from everyone - I really appreciate it. Trying to set up the A/B comparison soon! Although my interest vacillates between the two, I still like the idea of the WTA. I would probably spring for the GTA on looks alone (although I gather it has some sonic advantage over the standard Amadeus).

Wharf_Rat

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2014, 03:53 pm »
So I finally took a road trip to Atlanta, where (I must say) Alan at Audio Alternative was more than kind and accommodating, having set a VPI Classic 1 next to a Versalex, installed identical broken-in DV carts, leaving me only to sit in the sweet spot and swap records and decks to my heart's content.

I immensely enjoyed both decks, and was a bit surprised, frankly, that choosing a "winner" was harder than I'd anticipated. They both sounded great. Those having commented above surely have better ears and vocabularies here, but what consistently stood out to me between the two decks is that, for all the additional detail the VPI seemed to pull from the records, it remained somewhat deader, restrained, and two-dimensional when compared to the WTL. Additionally, there were passages where it was clear that the VPI was letting me down, comparatively, in terms of capturing the tone of acoustic instruments - noticed most prominently when spinning Alison Krauss's So Long, So Wrong, where the mandolin sounded all cotton and catgut compared to the WTL's more true-to-life rendering. More involved funky passages from Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life were a bit of a mess on the VPI and vastly more enjoyable on the WTL, less...tedious. I enjoyed Pink Floyd's DSOTM more on the VPI, which also seemed to better resolve the in-your-face female voice on Gone at Last, from Paul Simon's Still Crazy After All These Years. I eventually realized I'd stopped A/Bing the two tables and was just putting more vinyl onto the Versalex. All in all, clearly more open, "3D" and pleasurable on the whole than the Classic.

So I will soon have an Amadeus GTA on the way! My excitement is tempered only by the sad fact that I've now blown my budget for the moment, and the Amadeus will likely stay (mostly) boxed until I can afford to put a suitable cartridge on it (also perhaps adding a SUT to my mm phono stage). Baby steps. Thanks to all on the forum for the advice, and, again, I can't say enough good about Alan and all the folks at Audio Alternative - total analog wonderland for those of us in the southeast and a total pleasure to spend the day with.

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2014, 05:17 pm »
There are a number of great sub-$500 carts out there. The Denon 103 and 103R are popular choices.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2014, 05:19 pm »
Congrats on your purchase, you will be happy with it.  I just read this discussion and was not surprised with the results of your A/B listening session.  In fact when you said the VPI was somewhat deader, restrained, and two-dimensional and did not capture the tone of acoustic instruments as well as the WTL, that was very well put and a perfect description of what I heard.  I didn't do a quick comparison in fact there was 6 months between listening to the VPI Classic 3 I had and the pre-owned Amadeus MkI I later bought back in December of 2012.  But immediately the WTL table sounded better than I remembered the VPI sounding, and a couple friends who heard both in my system agreed.  My Amadeus has a DV-XX2Mk2, Auditorium A23 mat, and a DPS power supply.  The VPI Classic 3 had a ZYX Airy 3 cart, a TT Weights copper mat and heavy weight, and the VPI SDS motor controller.  Prior to the VPI I had an Acoustic Signature table with a Graham Phantom.  I am completely happy with the WTL and amazed that such a simple light weight rig can sound so good.

Charisma12

« Reply #13 on: 2 Mar 2014, 06:14 pm »
The results of your A/B listening session was similar to what I heard before between a VPI and a WTL. The VPI sounded dark and dull while the WTL was lively and open.

roscoeiii

« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2014, 06:50 pm »
  Prior to the VPI I had an Acoustic Signature table with a Graham Phantom.  I am completely happy with the WTL and amazed that such a simple light weight rig can sound so good.

]

Out of curiosity, how would you characterize the sound of the Acoustic/Graham combo to the WTL?

threadkiller

« Reply #15 on: 2 Mar 2014, 07:36 pm »
Good to hear! Enjoy your table...

watercourse

« Reply #16 on: 2 Mar 2014, 07:43 pm »
So I finally took a road trip to Atlanta, where (I must say) Alan at Audio Alternative was more than kind and accommodating, having set a VPI Classic 1 next to a Versalex, installed identical broken-in DV carts, leaving me only to sit in the sweet spot and swap records and decks to my heart's content.

I immensely enjoyed both decks, and was a bit surprised, frankly, that choosing a "winner" was harder than I'd anticipated. They both sounded great. Those having commented above surely have better ears and vocabularies here, but what consistently stood out to me between the two decks is that, for all the additional detail the VPI seemed to pull from the records, it remained somewhat deader, restrained, and two-dimensional when compared to the WTL. Additionally, there were passages where it was clear that the VPI was letting me down, comparatively, in terms of capturing the tone of acoustic instruments - noticed most prominently when spinning Alison Krauss's So Long, So Wrong, where the mandolin sounded all cotton and catgut compared to the WTL's more true-to-life rendering. More involved funky passages from Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life were a bit of a mess on the VPI and vastly more enjoyable on the WTL, less...tedious. I enjoyed Pink Floyd's DSOTM more on the VPI, which also seemed to better resolve the in-your-face female voice on Gone at Last, from Paul Simon's Still Crazy After All These Years. I eventually realized I'd stopped A/Bing the two tables and was just putting more vinyl onto the Versalex. All in all, clearly more open, "3D" and pleasurable on the whole than the Classic.

So I will soon have an Amadeus GTA on the way! My excitement is tempered only by the sad fact that I've now blown my budget for the moment, and the Amadeus will likely stay (mostly) boxed until I can afford to put a suitable cartridge on it (also perhaps adding a SUT to my mm phono stage). Baby steps. Thanks to all on the forum for the advice, and, again, I can't say enough good about Alan and all the folks at Audio Alternative - total analog wonderland for those of us in the southeast and a total pleasure to spend the day with.

Great news, congrats on the new table, and I am WAY jealous  :green:

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #17 on: 2 Mar 2014, 07:53 pm »
In answer to roscoeiii's question, It's well over a year ago so can't give a lot of specifics, but I do feel more satisfied with the WTL.  I think the AS and VPI sounded very similar.  Owning the Acoustic/Graham always left me a little uncomfortable because even though I got both for a decent price, it was more than I should have spent and I didn't think the sound justified the cost.  Maybe high mass tables don't produce the sound I find most pleasing, but the rhythm and pace just wasn't there.  And I think the bass was a bit muddy at times clouding the midrange coherence.   

threadkiller

« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2014, 02:27 am »
Interesting follow up... That's been my listening circle's findings as well.. Now, that being said, it would be marvelous to have the machining and build quality that some of these other tables have in our beloved WTLs...
I'm thinking the Brinkmans, SMEs , etc. Yet good for us , they don't make better music... even with their pricey price tags...

Plink

« Reply #19 on: 24 Mar 2014, 02:58 am »
Did you have the same amplification with both the VPI and the Well Tempered?