audiogon

acresm22

Re: audiogon
« Reply #20 on: 21 Feb 2013, 07:28 pm »
It certainly seems like AG doesn't get the same level of traffic it used to...not nearly as many postings as before the change.
That said, I've posted several items on the new site and have had no issues...the transactions were prompt and glitch-free.

decal

« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2013, 09:53 pm »
DONT USE IT.....JUST STOP USING IT and they will clue in some day(maybe)

Not as long as the advertisers keep sending the checks.

Don_S

« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2013, 10:02 pm »
That has not been my experience.  A recent buyer did not receive notification I had accepted his offer. I thought he was a deadbeat. When I re-posted my ad he made the same offer. When I asked  :wtf: I found out he never received notification of either my acceptance or follow up emails. We eventually closed the deal no thanks to Audiogon.

It certainly seems like AG doesn't get the same level of traffic it used to...not nearly as many postings as before the change.
That said, I've posted several items on the new site and have had no issues...the transactions were prompt and glitch-free.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #23 on: 22 Feb 2013, 04:00 pm »
I only joined Audiogon after their change, so I can't compare old to new. I have bought two items there--the first time was last Fall; the 2nd time was this morning. I got a pair of cans the first time for an excellent price. The seller had taken very good care of them. The 2nd item is a Simaudio amp. It should be delivered next Friday.

There was one odd experience a couple weeks ago. Someone had something up for sale. I sent 5 messages over a 7 day period. Not once was there a reply. Why place an ad if you don't communicate with the potential buyer? Needless to say, I never offered to buy the item.

From my perspective, I see nothing wrong with Audiogon. I've only been a buyer. I've saved a couple thousand dollars over buying new with 2 purchases.

brooklyn

« Reply #24 on: 22 Feb 2013, 05:33 pm »
There was one odd experience a couple weeks ago. Someone had something up for sale. I sent 5 messages over a 7 day period. Not once was there a reply. Why place an ad if you don't communicate with the potential buyer? Needless to say, I never offered to buy the item.

The odd experience you had was probably the computer glitch I was referring to. The last person I bought something from sent me shipping info which I didn't get the first time he sent it.

I've gotten many a good deal from Audiogon over the years and also sold quite a bit but since the web site upgrade, I will be closing my account and giving up my 100% feedback I worked hard for. That's how disgusted I am with the site. There standard answer is always, we will look into it and that's as far as it goes. I truly hope you have better luck with them.

Regards,
Jerry   

decal

« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 2013, 07:04 pm »
The odd experience you had was probably the computer glitch I was referring to. The last person I bought something from sent me shipping info which I didn't get the first time he sent it.

I've gotten many a good deal from Audiogon over the years and also sold quite a bit but since the web site upgrade, I will be closing my account and giving up my 100% feedback I worked hard for. That's how disgusted I am with the site. There standard answer is always, we will look into it and that's as far as it goes. I truly hope you have better luck with them.

Regards,
Jerry

Ditto on the "we will look into it" answer.

Phil A

« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 2013, 07:14 pm »
The old Audiogon was automatic to use. I don't buy and sell as often as I used to and when I do I try other alternatives.  If I need Audiogon, that's fine and I'll live with it they way it is.  They would get more business if they lowered the fees a little and became a bit more user friendly.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2013, 02:16 am »
So what sort of fees does Agon charge sellers?

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 23 Feb 2013, 02:30 am »
they charge me 4 dollars to list and 2 percent of sale

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #29 on: 23 Feb 2013, 05:52 am »
I've used Audiogon, AC trader here, Audio Asylum, Ebay and USAudiomart to try to buy / sell. I've had a few minor problems with purchases through Ebay, and with other services no significant problems. 

As for Audiogon as a seller, I have to say that when I put certain items up on all (except Ebay), Audiogon over the same period of time had twice the views that the other sites had and more sales got concluded through them. 

On the other hand, I think the "buy it now" may be a mistake.  I had one person do that & then not communicate / pay & I could not re-list.  Audiogon said I should wait up to five days, and I said no thanks - if they haven't even responded to their "buy it now" action in 48hrs, the person obviously does not intend to buy / pay, and I resented having my listing hostage.

On the other side as a buyer, after repeatedly trying to contact a seller, I clicked his "buy it now" only to be told by the seller that the item had already sold.   

So, it think it's better the old style when you could carry on a conversation via the messaging service to conclude deals.  For this reason early on w/ any of these services I try to interchange email addresses (even if I have to spell it out to avoid the filters) so the deal can be concluded more directly.

In sum, as much as I'd prefer to buy / sell everything through AC trader, USAudiomart, and Audio Asylumn Trader, and try to list anything on all sites to give them more business, Audiogon still has the most traffic, and if you really don't want to pay their commission, pay pal fees, etc, you can still conclude things off-line.

srb

« Reply #30 on: 23 Feb 2013, 06:07 am »
In sum, as much as I'd prefer to buy / sell everything through AC trader, USAudiomart, and Audio Asylumn Trader, and try to list anything on all sites to give them more business, Audiogon still has the most traffic, and if you really don't want to pay their commission, pay pal fees, etc, you can still conclude things off-line.

And refuse to honor a legally binding contract.  My advice instead would be if you really don't want to pay their commission, PayPal fees, etc, then don't use the service in the first place.

Steve

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #31 on: 23 Feb 2013, 06:20 am »
And refuse to honor a legally binding contract.  My advice instead would be if you really don't want to pay their commission, PayPal fees, etc, then don't use the service in the first place.

Steve

True - and fair enough.  I should not have stated "don't want to pay their commission" as even when I've communicated / closed the deal via email, I've still marked the item as sold and paid Audiogon their commission, particularly now that it's been reduced to a more reasonable 2%, which is actually lower than ebay if I recall correctly. 

BTW - if you get an email supposedly from Audigon titled "Audiogon - New Features Available" prompting you to confirm your account within the next few days or your account will be deleted, obviously don't click the links.  I just received several of these on Wednesday & had previously received the same phishing email back in November (and advised Audiogon back then & now - and they acknowledged the problem & that they were working on it).  They should really post something on their main page advising folks that there's a phising email going around.....

srb

« Reply #32 on: 23 Feb 2013, 06:45 am »
I once placed an ad in which it was clearly stated that shipping was to USA only, and respectfully declined (twice) to the same buyer to consider international shipping.

I don't know what his problem was, but I guess that angered him and he clicked Buy It Now anyway.  As you know, that action immediately marks the ad Sold.  I emailed Audiogon and they replied to my email and reinstated my ad with a new 30 day period by the following morning.

On another occasion, I completed a transaction outside of the Audiogon mechanism and emailed them to report the sale and the $16 commission due.  They thanked me very much for my honesty and invoiced me after first crediting $4 (the cost of a future ad fee).

So clearly the customer service has been both good and bad for some people. 

Steve

JohnR

« Reply #33 on: 23 Feb 2013, 09:17 am »
Why won't you ship overseas?

Photon46

« Reply #34 on: 23 Feb 2013, 12:47 pm »

On another occasion, I completed a transaction outside of the Audiogon mechanism and emailed them to report the sale and the $16 commission due.  They thanked me very much for my honesty and invoiced me after first crediting $4 (the cost of a future ad fee)

Steve

I recently did the same thing when I sold a set of speakers locally. The buyer lost interest in completing the sale through the Audiogon system and wouldn't leave feedback, so I reported the sale to them and paid my fee. Unlike your case, the individual who responded never thanked me, gave any ad credits, or displayed any courtesy.

After one experience with a complete idiot who wouldn't respond for days after clicking a "buy it now," I will never used that option in any ad I ever place on Audiogon again.

srb

Re: Audiogon
« Reply #35 on: 23 Feb 2013, 03:12 pm »
Why won't you ship overseas?

Shipped once before to Taiwan and it took over an hour with 5 different documents to fill out and sign and then there were some additional charges that weren't previously disclosed.

This particular sale was for floor standing speakers and I didn't want to go through the hassle again as well as subject them to even more handling and distance shipping to Singapore.

Steve

GregC

« Reply #36 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:51 pm »
I dislike the new Audiogon site, especially compared to the old site, but so far that is the only way I can quickly sell items.  When I list items on AC I get no hits; however, the same item on Audiogon (at even a higher price) sells within a day.  I wish I could have more successful transactions on AC.

toocool4

« Reply #37 on: 23 Feb 2013, 10:29 pm »
I only joined Audiogon about 2 weeks ago and in have to say my first experience has not been a good one.

I joined as I was looking for Spectral / MIT MH-770UL II speaker cable, and I saw one on there for $2000. I made an offer, then after having a good look at it realized it was fake. I asked the seller for explanation, which he did not give. I thought to save someone else from getting ripped off, I send and e-mail to the people running the site letting them know. They did nothing because they say he sells a lot on that site.

Link to the add here, if you know about Spectral / MIT cable you can see this is fake. The original cable where first blue, light grey and the last lot where dark grey. The interconnects are prefixed with MI and the speakers cable are prefixed MH, as you can see in the pic these speaker cables are marked MI for a speaker cable plus they are black.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/speaker-spectral-mit-770-ul-series2-25ft-pair-latest-version-rarely-seen-used-xlnt-conditi-2013-01-29-cables-85641

He did pull the add after I sent an e-mail to Audiogon.

My first experience is a bad one, so I think I will stay away.

neekomax

« Reply #38 on: 23 Feb 2013, 10:34 pm »
I only joined Audiogon about 2 weeks ago and in have to say my first experience has not been a good one.

I joined as I was looking for Spectral / MIT MH-770UL II speaker cable, and I saw one on there for $2000. I made an offer, then after having a good look at it realized it was fake. I asked the seller for explanation, which he did not give. I thought to save someone else from getting ripped off, I send and e-mail to the people running the site letting them know. They did nothing because they say he sells a lot on that site.

Link to the add here, if you know about Spectral / MIT cable you can see this is fake. The original cable where first blue, light grey and the last lot where dark grey. The interconnects are prefixed with MI and the speakers cable are prefixed MH, as you can see in the pic these speaker cables are marked MI for a speaker cable plus they are black.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/speaker-spectral-mit-770-ul-series2-25ft-pair-latest-version-rarely-seen-used-xlnt-conditi-2013-01-29-cables-85641

He did pull the add after I sent an e-mail to Audiogon.

My first experience is a bad one, so I think I will stay away.

How is it possible that a guy who sells fake stuff on Audiogon has a 100% positive feedback a score with almost 1000 transactions? Either there are 1000 total suckers out there who never realized that bought fake gear, or... what? I don't get it.

toocool4

« Reply #39 on: 23 Feb 2013, 10:40 pm »
How is it possible that a guy who sells fake stuff on Audiogon has a 100% positive feedback a score with almost 1000 transactions? Either there are 1000 total suckers out there who never realized that bought fake gear, or... what? I don't get it.

Well what he tried to sell me is fake and that is my first experience of Audiogon. He never came back to my question to explain.