Woo! Woo! Naked BDA-1 DAC Pics!!!!

The_KiD

Re: Woo! Woo! Naked BDA-1 DAC Pics!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2008, 09:21 pm »
Congrats on your purchase Mike! What a great looking piece of gear too. Man, listening to your description, makes me want to go out and audition one. I would agree that the SB3 on it's own is decent but it is truly enjoyable through a quality outboard DAC. What digital cable are you using with it? Curious..

Cheers,

-Chris
I am using a Morrow Audio Dig 1 cable with Eichman Bullets.
See here. http://www.audiosold.com/dig1digitalcable.htm
Previously I had a MIT, albeit 10 years old. This one is definitely better in all areas. I just bought a Signal Cable digital cable  for my HT input and the Morrow is better. I have yet to try any really expensive dig cables.
Mike

Thanks Mike! That is great that you are enjoying the new DAC.. It is certainly a great looking unit. I am using my SB3 with an Electrocompaniet ECD-1 combined with a Harmonic Tech Platinum Digital Cable with very good results myself. I have tried the D-60, Canare, XLO, AudioQuest VSD's, and the Cardas. The Morrow Cable looks interesting and certainly is affordable..

Cheers,

-Chris

ashtarul

« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2008, 09:37 pm »
Thanks Mike. I currently have the Lavry DA10 in my setup. If you don't mind, I'd appreciate a comparison between the two since you have experience with both.
Ash

mcullinan

« Reply #22 on: 16 Aug 2008, 12:16 am »
I
Thanks Mike. I currently have the Lavry DA10 in my setup. If you don't mind, I'd appreciate a comparison between the two since you have experience with both.
Ash
The Lavry is not as detailed throughout the entire range. There is a lot less texture and subtelty... The Lavrys dynamics seem a little constricted and the bottom end lacks the punch and drive of the BDA-1. BDA-1 has mad PRAT too.
I like the Lavry a lot, its a very musical DAC, sweet and laid back. It is a NOS DAc, while the BDA does upsampling, which is how I mostly listen, though you have the option to not upsample. The Lavry gives a great presentation and I thought it was wonderful with classical/voices. Jazz, rock, and classical symphonies... the BDA has it.
Mike

ashtarul

« Reply #23 on: 16 Aug 2008, 06:43 am »
Thanks for your time Mike. Enjoy the music!!!
Ash

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #24 on: 16 Aug 2008, 09:38 pm »
Well if being there is important to you! Then the BDA-1 DAC is the one for You! You hear nothing but the music, so much texture, reality and stop/start precision. Beautiful! Toe Tapping! Im writing while I listen to a little jazz... so I will free ramble :) Definitely like a veil has been lifted between me and the music. While the DAC was being built I was listening mainly out of the SB3 DAC, which isnt horrible .. but I get the impressionnow that it was nice warm mush. Everything congealed.

Now.. I have a nice soundstage. Fast, detailed, And it still retains a very musical nature. And with the upsampling on, the instruments/players become more apparent, larger. Brings them to the forefront. I wouldnt say its necessarily a bigger soundstage though. Great stuff! This is my first Bryston, now I think I will have to look at more. The build quality is impeccable! I joked with James that they must wear white gloves while building these things... ANyways enough gushing, back to the music.
Mike

A few QUICK questions...
   1) price
   2) volume control (attenuator)
   3) XLR outputs

Also, the USB connection is real interesting!  WiFi would be even MORE interesting, though...

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #25 on: 16 Aug 2008, 09:48 pm »
Well if being there is important to you! Then the BDA-1 DAC is the one for You! You hear nothing but the music, so much texture, reality and stop/start precision. Beautiful! Toe Tapping! Im writing while I listen to a little jazz... so I will free ramble :) Definitely like a veil has been lifted between me and the music. While the DAC was being built I was listening mainly out of the SB3 DAC, which isnt horrible .. but I get the impressionnow that it was nice warm mush. Everything congealed.

Now.. I have a nice soundstage. Fast, detailed, And it still retains a very musical nature. And with the upsampling on, the instruments/players become more apparent, larger. Brings them to the forefront. I wouldnt say its necessarily a bigger soundstage though. Great stuff! This is my first Bryston, now I think I will have to look at more. The build quality is impeccable! I joked with James that they must wear white gloves while building these things... ANyways enough gushing, back to the music.
Mike

A few QUICK questions...
   1) price
   3) XLR outputs

Also, the USB connection is real interesting!  WiFi would be even MORE interesting, though...

Thanks.

Hi AmpDesigner,

1.$1,995 suggested list US
2. No volume control - we could do a digital one in software but most agree that you do not want to use digital volume controls due to the loss of resolution.
3. Yes there is a set of RCA and a setof Blalance XLR outputs.

james

b5pt9

« Reply #26 on: 16 Aug 2008, 10:16 pm »
Are the orders backed up already, and if so how long would I be waiting (17" black version)?  I've pretty well decided to go this route instead of BCD1.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 16 Aug 2008, 11:18 pm »
Are the orders backed up already, and if so how long would I be waiting (17" black version)?  I've pretty well decided to go this route instead of BCD1.

About 10 days from order.

james

NewBuyer

« Reply #28 on: 16 Aug 2008, 11:51 pm »
Hi James,

I see the BDA-1 uses discrete opamps (instead of IC opamps) in the output stage.

What about for I/V: Does the BDA-1 use IC opamps for current-to-voltage conversion? :?:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #29 on: 17 Aug 2008, 03:36 am »

Mike

A few QUICK questions...
   1) price
   3) XLR outputs

Thanks.

Hi AmpDesigner,

1.$1,995 suggested list US
2. No volume control - we could do a digital one in software but most agree that you do not want to use digital volume controls due to the loss of resolution.
3. Yes there is a set of RCA and a setof Blalance XLR outputs.

james

Thanks for your kind reply.  Regarding digital volume, this can be done at 32 bits, so even at 1/256 in/out the effective resolution is still 24 bits.  I'm a big fan of driving amps directly with D/A converters!  Have a good one...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 17 Aug 2008, 06:35 pm »
Hi James,

I see the BDA-1 uses discrete opamps (instead of IC opamps) in the output stage.

What about for I/V: Does the BDA-1 use IC opamps for current-to-voltage conversion? :?:

Hi NewBuyer,

The CS4398 DAC's have voltage outputs, so no current-to-voltage conversion required.

james

NewBuyer

« Reply #31 on: 17 Aug 2008, 11:46 pm »
Hi James,

Hi NewBuyer,

The CS4398 DAC's have voltage outputs, so no current-to-voltage conversion required.

james

Thanks James! You seem to actually have the perfect DAC here. Which means my wallet is probably going to get some exercise. :)

The only hesitation I have now, is whether or not to get a Bryston unit with built-in DAC, rather than the separate DAC! :D Sonically, do you feel the separate DAC has any performance advantages (or disadvantages) over the built-in DAC card option? (I've actually had my eye on the B100-DA for quite a while now...)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 18 Aug 2008, 12:14 am »
Hi James,

Hi NewBuyer,

james

Thanks James! You seem to actually have the perfect DAC here. Which means my wallet is probably going to get some exercise. :)

The only hesitation I have now, is whether or not to get a Bryston unit with built-in DAC, rather than the separate DAC! :D Sonically, do you feel the separate DAC has any performance advantages (or disadvantages) over the built-in DAC card option? (I've actually had my eye on the B100-DA for quite a while now...)

Hi,

The DAC in the B100 and the BDA-1 are both Crystal Dac's so the perfomance is very close at a DAC level. The external DAC has better specs and I think given the difference in price and the greater long term flexibility of the External DAC I would go with the BDA-1.

james
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2008, 01:02 pm by James Tanner »

NewBuyer

« Reply #33 on: 18 Aug 2008, 12:19 am »
Hi,

The DAC in the B100 and the BDA-1 are both Crystal Dac's so the perfomance is very close. I think given the difference in price and the greater long term flexibility of the External DAC I would go with the BDA-1.

james

I was afraid you might say that! :)

Can the XLR and RCA outputs be used simultaneously, without a performance hit? Will this affect output impedance, etc?

(sorry for having so many questions...)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 18 Aug 2008, 12:53 am »
Hi,

The DAC in the B100 and the BDA-1 are both Crystal Dac's so the perfomance is very close. I think given the difference in price and the greater long term flexibility of the External DAC I would go with the BDA-1.

james

I was afraid you might say that! :)

Can the XLR and RCA outputs be used simultaneously, without a performance hit? Will this affect output impedance, etc?

(sorry for having so many questions...)

Hi

Yes the XLR and the RCA can be used together and it will not affect the impedance.

james

THE_ANSWERS

« Reply #35 on: 21 Aug 2008, 06:39 pm »
Bryston products just seem to ooze quality!

Is this the same DAC that is in the integrated B100 SST?

Cacophonix
I think the B-100 DAC uses the Crystal CS 43122 chip (similar to the SP2) whereas the BDA-1 uses a higher end chip, the CS 4398, the same chip that is used for the BCD-1 CDP. I hope my understanding is right!  :wink:

Yes, Bryston seems to ooze quality! The build quality of my new B100-DA/P is beyond reproach.

Hi,

The CD Player and the DAC use the Crystal 4398 chip.  It is not a 'higher end' chip it is simply the replacement chip for the CS43122 which is no longer produced. 

I assume there are some small differences between the chips but as I have said before the major difference between our digital equipment and others is the use of our proprietary Bryston Class A Discrete analog circuitry and the serious attention to totally independent power supplies and ground planes though out our gear.

james

james,
any way to add an output level control?
sorry i put the question on the cd player board by accident at first
nice looking product!!!!!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 21 Aug 2008, 06:47 pm »
Hi,

We could do a digital volume control using the soon to be BDA-1 remote but we are still concerned about the performance changes when using a digital volume. There are no plans to implement an analog volume pot.

james

THE_ANSWERS

« Reply #37 on: 21 Aug 2008, 06:54 pm »
Hi,

We could do a digital volume control using the soon to be BDA-1 remote but we are still concerned about the performance changes when using a digital volume. There are no plans to implement an analog volume pot.

james

is bda-1 remote a real product thats coming out ??????

what would you recommend for doing digital volume control so theres nothing in the way of the analg audio right to an amp    can you recommend an actual product i can buy for this       ?????

b5pt9

« Reply #38 on: 21 Aug 2008, 06:58 pm »

About 10 days from order.

james

Okay just bought a black one from Audio Ark in Edmonton.  :D  If anyone wants any specific info/photos/impressions give me a few days and I'll let you know.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 21 Aug 2008, 06:58 pm »
Hi

Yes, the DBA-1 literature shows the remote we are working on.

I will ask engineering if they know of any external volume controls --- the problem is that passive volume controls have issues of their own with loading and impedance's etc.  An analog preamp is the best solution.

james