Will Bryston amps operate with 50Hz electricity rating?

95bcwh

Dear All,
A friend of mine is here to visit me from a country named Barbados. He likes Bryston amp so much and he want to buy a full suites of pre-amp and amps.

But there's no Bryston dealership in his country.

Now, the electricity power rating in his country is 120 V and 50 Hz.

I think the voltage rating is the same as US standard of 120V, but the frequency is slightly different. Will the  Bryston amps work at 50Hz frequency?

Please kindly share your knowledge on this because if there's no issues here, you guys will make my friend an extremely happy man.

Thanks and best regards
  RV

fld

« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2006, 01:34 am »
my country has 60 hz cycle 220/230 volts.

am using a bryston 3bsst that has 220/50 hz ratings. So far seems ok.

Would also like to know if there is ill effects or long term bad effects on using different cycles ? ala 50 hz vs. 60 hz.

thanks

Mike Pickett

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2006, 07:21 pm »
Hi RV;

We don't actually use a different transformer for each voltage and frequency rating.  Our transformers have several sets of input taps, and by changing the way they are wired we get the voltage rating required.

All of our transformers are rated for both 50 and 60 Hz, so as long as the voltage is right, it will work at either frequency.

Thanks,

Mike

95bcwh

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2006, 08:48 pm »
Mike and all:
  Thanks for the clarification! It's good that Bryston design the transformer to have such flexibility with minimum modification. Next time, if I ever run into voltage issue, I guess I can just go to Bryston authorized service / dealer and asked them to change the wire to match the local voltage?

Thanks.
  RV

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2006, 10:00 pm »
This has nothing to do with Bryston products, just a general observation and answer to "will it work" question in general.

An amplifier or preamplifier supplied with a 120V 60Hz only power transformer might not give satisfactory performance with a 240V to 120V step down transformer in a foreign country using 50Hz AC supply lines.

The issue is that at 50 Hz, the transformer and power supply are being replinished slower, only 50 times per second as compared with 60 times per second in the USA.  Thus the energy supply to the circuits is reduced by that factor  50/60ths of normal, or about a 16 percent drop in available energy per unit of time.

Bryston, along with other high quality manufacturers, furnish power transformers with "oversized" cores to make up for that difference when the equipment is being used on 50 Hz supplies.

However, a 120V 60Hz only transformer will have a smaller core and less energy delivery capability. It will be fine on 60 Hz supplies, but might suffer with the extra demands of 50 Hz.  That 16 percent less available energy from the supply line could cause transformer overheating and voltage drops to the circuits.  If the headroom is tight, regulated supply circuits could stop regulating.  These would have an effect on musical performance.

So, if you are taking equipment made for 120V 60 Hz to a country where the supply is 240V 50 Hz use caution.  An external step down transformer might not solve your issues.

Make sure the equipment does have a 50/60 Hz transformer core first.

Frank Van Alstine

fld

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2006, 02:27 am »
i also noticed that my bryston 3bst is 230 v but at 50 hz. Its been running for the last 3 years with no problem. Our country is 60 hz rating. I think it should be no problem.

however, i find it best to plug straight to the wall out.

therefore with step up or step down tranny it might deteriorate the sound quality.