Do you love your BSST2 amps enough to keep them forever?

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
I've been thinking, dangerous I know, that it makes no financial sense to sell and replace my amps. I do love my 28BSST2's and I guess I want what I do not have.

I can say without equivocation that my 28BSST2's are among the best amps that I've had in my system. They have beaten other amps when compared head to head. Sure, I want the newest, latest and greatest Bryston has to offer.

So my question....

Do you plan on staying right where you are with your BSST2 amps?

Wind Chaser

Re: Do you love your BSST2 amps enough to keep them forever?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2016, 04:24 pm »
Contentment is always at the mercy of Johnny Come Lately.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2016, 04:50 pm »
I'm very happy with my 4BSST2 and 6BSST2. While I do hope to upgrade them to 4B3 and 6B3 (if upgrades are offered for the SST2 series), I don't plan on replacing the amps.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2016, 05:16 pm »
Thank you.

Spyman

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2016, 05:45 pm »
I've had my 4BSST2 for about 2 years and I love it! I plan on keeping it forever.

Terry

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2016, 06:02 pm »
Unless someone comes up with a way to project music directly into my brain chances are my 4B SST2 will be with me for a lot longer.

brucek

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2016, 07:22 pm »
I've been thinking, dangerous I know, that it makes no financial sense to sell and replace my amps. I do love my 28BSST2's and I guess I want what I do not have.

I can say without equivocation that my 28BSST2's are among the best amps that I've had in my system. They have beaten other amps when compared head to head. Sure, I want the newest, latest and greatest Bryston has to offer.

So my question....

Do you plan on staying right where you are with your BSST2 amps?

I plan on staying right where I am with my Bryston ST amps I bought in 1999 (I own 3). Why would I change when they have a 20 year warranty? Since the specifications of the ST amplifiers (and any amplifiers produced since) far exceeded any distortion that the human ear could detect, it would make little sense to replace any Bryston amp other than for bragging rights.

I have a 4BST, so lets look at it. If I examine the total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N) of the 4BST, 4BSST, 4BSST2, and 4BSST3, it is 0.005% across the entire audible audio spectrum at full power. The specification is the same (and incredibly good) for all these amps.

Unlike Bryston, many companies only offer their THD spec at one frequency (usually 1KHz) rather than across the full 20Hz to 20KHz range, and at a reduced power level to obtain decent numbers. This is because amplifiers can suffer from large increases in distortion levels at higher frequencies and power levels.

THD is a significant and meaningful specification, and probably one of the most important offered, since it tells you the amount of signal degradation as it passes from input to output. What else is there to seriously consider? The accepted figure of 0.1% is often used as a rule of thumb to indicate that people can't hear differences if the THD is less than this.

Yet, Bryston amps will alter an input signal only by 0.005%, and the 4BST, 4BSST, 4BSST2, and 4BSST3 are identical in that regard as are the entire family of Bryston amps.

Do you really feel you could tell these amps apart or any of the Bryston amps?

Buy one, keep it for 20 years, then buy another.

brucek

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2016, 08:26 pm »

brucek,

i can't help myself but i really like your comments :thumb:

you are simply a smart writer!

al.

1ZIP

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2016, 09:06 pm »
Love might not apply.  I have two 4B SST2's, a BP17, a BP26 and two BCD1's.  Not likely I will part with either the amps or pre's.  Might opt for a BCD3.  Upgrade to the "3's" would be done only if I  hear a clear improvement.  Next system upgrades will be speakers.  Next Bryston product will probably be the WIFI box.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2016, 09:29 pm »
All great comments so far. I sincerely appreciate the input. Please keep them coming.

brucek, I agree with alexone.  :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2016, 09:48 pm »
Until they fully legalize pot here in Canada, I am sticking with my squared amps for good.  :green:

Seriously, those specs of THD cannot explain the out-of-body experience I get when I listen to my recordings. No way I'm ditching my squaries for anything.

http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/are_you_a_sharpener_or_a_leveler/index.html#TLQrgIiKzqvVyZKe.97

Rod_S

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2016, 12:16 am »
Sticking with my SST2's and not interested in outright replacing them with cubes. If the SST2 to cube upgrade materializes, depending on price and how long the amps would be with Bryston it's something I will of course consider down the road as I like the SST2 faceplate much more than the cube but in no way is that an immediate plan. My short term objective is to find a single 7B-SST2 to replace my 4B-SST on my center. Besides, all these accolades of the cubes have still not come with a side by side blind listening test against the SST2's with measurements for further proof of any differences. brucek makes a very good point about the specs across generations. Unless the new tech in the cubes solves a noise problem that an individual has in their system the move to the new is probably more of a lateral move than an actual upgrade and of course those who love the new look, a certain percentage will upgrade simply for that. Hey, I'm a sucker for things I really like the look of so I can relate.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2016, 12:49 am »
I originally bought the 28BSST2's because of the sound, warranty and looks. Part of me obsesses just because of the "new" aspect of the Cubed amps. I will not deny that.

Is there something I don't like about my squared amps? No, I love 'em.

We audiophiles are a crazy bunch. I just have to learn when to say when.

95Dyna

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2016, 01:20 am »
I love my 7BSST2's with my new Focal Sopra 2's accompanied by the BP26 Esoteric K-5 and VPI Classic 1 with Benz wood SL.  If the upgrade cost from these amps to 7B3's is compelling I might consider it. I may look at a 14B3 trading in the 7's with a trusted dealer that gives great deals on trade ins.  if these options prove not compelling I will happily ask my wife to bury me with my 7B SST'2s.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2016, 01:26 am »
Let's just hope she does not sell your gear for what you told her you paid for it  :duh:

tie_breaker

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2016, 02:09 am »
I am thoroughly enjoying this thread :)  You cracked me up tdinut.  Same is true with my wife.. If only she knew.. She would go on a shopping spree for a whole week..

I recently upgraded from a 4bsst2 to 14bsst2 and am quite happy with it.  I will keep the 14bsst2 for a while. I would love to be able to compare the 14bsst2 to 14b3, but I don't expect to hear much difference. I sure would like to be proven wrong though..

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2016, 02:40 am »
Ha! Thank you for the kind words.  :oops:

There is no doubt in my mind the Cubed amps are better  :lol: , mainly because I want them to be better. But seriously, Bryston has proven to be a tremendous value with solid engineering. No one else offers 20 year warranties. Most of us don't keep our gear 20 months. I think Bryston owners are a different breed and and are not swayed by a new shiny object. They, or we, tend to be more pragmatic.

Just give your wife a little cash to go shopping when the UPS man is due for your new Cubed delivery. She'll never know the difference.  8)

Joe

Yitshak

« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2016, 05:17 am »
Lol guys

You make feel very Normal...no Bryston OCD at all ... ;)

Now,
I Can't see my self letting any Bryston gear out o'me roof!
Only buy more when there is need and capability.

Cheers

Itshak

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2016, 05:50 am »
Nice Itshak. I imagine the same thing will happen to me.

Gee, I feel like this is the Bryston 12 step support group. Wow, I feel better now.

rob80b

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2016, 02:05 pm »
All this talk about keeping the SST2s and here I just joined the club…but instead of up-sizing I’ve just downsized from my 4BSST to a minty 3BSST2…so far no regrets… : )