• "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Perfect Storm
« Reply #20 on: 10 Mar 2015, 03:47 pm »
Or gaudy, depending on your tastes or environment it's in...  :o
Yea, I'm with you.

KLH007

« Reply #21 on: 10 Mar 2015, 05:14 pm »
this looks yummy! when i got my Nimbus, the Joule were becoming the top of the line, now it seems that is the Perfect Storm occupying that pot..so, what's in the works for next year? :)...

Ah, as a side note, I purchased an Aaron Millennium 3 amp that sounds even better than the Wells Innamorata...:)

can't wait to see the pictures of a finished Perfect Storm!

I'm speechless, not only better than the Akasha, but the Innamorata as well? Is there a USA distributor? How much in US dollars? The wells amps sound so satisfying, I'd like to find out more about the Mill 3.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #22 on: 10 Mar 2015, 05:50 pm »
I'm speechless, not only better than the Akasha, but the Innamorata as well? Is there a USA distributor? How much in US dollars? The wells amps sound so satisfying, I'd like to find out more about the Mill 3.

+1

The Aaron amplifier website lists the amp for 2590 euro which is about $2800...but enjoythemusic has an article about it and says it retails for $3950. :scratch:

Seems its been around a while but would love to know more.

Perfect Storm looks incredible by the way....15" woofers...oh yeah!

Berto

« Reply #23 on: 10 Mar 2015, 05:59 pm »
+1

The Aaron amplifier website lists the amp for 2590 euro which is about $2800...but enjoythemusic has an article about it and says it retails for $3950. :scratch:

Seems its been around a while but would love to know more.

Perfect Storm looks incredible by the way....15" woofers...oh yeah!

The Euro has come way down since that article was written i'm sure.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #24 on: 10 Mar 2015, 06:02 pm »
The Euro has come way down since that article was written i'm sure.

I thought the date was from about a year or so ago but looking just now it was from 2010.

Phil A

« Reply #25 on: 10 Mar 2015, 06:06 pm »
Currency exchange rates impact what audio costs a great deal.  I believe back in very early 2003 the Canadian Dollar was 62 cents to the American Dollar and now it is about even.  So what was an amplifier that was a little over $3k in the US in 2003 is now $5k.  The Euro has also fluctuated but has gone the other way of late - http://www.tradingeconomics.com/euro-area/currency

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar 2015, 05:40 am »
How about a few renders?  Remember, that's a 15" woofer and the total height as pictured would be 61"

fex02

« Reply #27 on: 22 Mar 2015, 11:53 am »
Thanks Pete.Improving what already is great is a good philosophy.I look forward to meeting you someday !

bajaed

« Reply #28 on: 22 Mar 2015, 08:11 pm »
Awesome looking as usual Pete . Is that Zircote? What kind of stain and what color paint?

Can't wait to see, and hopefully hear, these.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #29 on: 22 Mar 2015, 09:08 pm »
Awesome looking as usual Pete . Is that Zircote? What kind of stain and what color paint?

Can't wait to see, and hopefully hear, these.

Those are just 3D renders.  The actual speakers are still under construction.  I took a picture of Ryan hiding behind the stack of cabinets sitting on a dolly.  I'm sure he'll post the picture later.  It's a really big speaker.  It's very exciting to see what was merely a drawing actually taking shape.   :thumb:

WireNut

« Reply #30 on: 22 Mar 2015, 09:09 pm »
Sorry If I missed it, but can these be bi-amped with an active crossover?    Or, even with your passive crossovers?

bajaed

« Reply #31 on: 22 Mar 2015, 09:39 pm »
Yeah I knew they were renders. I use the render you did of the last pair of Joule Blacks you guys made  as a screen saver. The veneer details on that render were awfully close to the pattern on the real speakers. Is that the case with these?

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #32 on: 22 Mar 2015, 09:58 pm »
Sorry If I missed it, but can these be bi-amped with an active crossover?    Or, even with your passive crossovers?

We could easily make the proper modifications to accommodate the active crossover option, but they do come bi-wired so that the woofer section can be driven separately from the upper section.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #33 on: 22 Mar 2015, 10:02 pm »
Yeah I knew they were renders. I use the render you did of the last pair of Joule Blacks you guys made  as a screen saver. The veneer details on that render were awfully close to the pattern on the real speakers. Is that the case with these?

Yeah, that's just a veneer swatch over the surface.  The guy who did the render is looking for a truly hi-res picture of some nice veneer to replace the lower res surface he's currently using.

And like Joule, any color combo with veneer or paint is possible.

bajaed

« Reply #34 on: 23 Mar 2015, 12:33 am »
Ok. You guys know what type of wood you'll be using?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #35 on: 23 Mar 2015, 02:19 am »
How's this for scale, I'm 6'1" btw ...

The full official release about details of the Perfect Storm is still coming btw, these are all just teasers.  I'm using the 3D renders to visualize paint/veneer combo's before I decide.  I don't particularly care for the combo pictured, and have something totally different in mind.  There are 2 pair being built right now, one a PS Black and one White.  The Black pair will be in walnut burl with gunmetal paint very similar to previous Joule renders, it's the White pair which in undecided.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #36 on: 23 Mar 2015, 02:20 am »
Ok. You guys know what type of wood you'll be using?

Yes, we do . . .  :green:

The first build is set and the second one will be soon enough.  I don't recall the specific veneer on the first pair.  The veneer is always up to the buyer, some of whom just defer to Ryan's choice of veneer. 

Sometimes it's a really interesting veneer to work with, like camphor.  Sanding it is a real treat.  The aroma is awesome.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #37 on: 23 Mar 2015, 02:30 am »
Wow! That's impressive. You guys still on track for  the Perfect Storm at AXPONA?

On a side note...what's the speaker in front of the PS? Looks like a floor standing Arcus.

neekomax

« Reply #38 on: 23 Mar 2015, 04:05 am »
How's this for scale, I'm 6'1" btw ...

The full official release about details of the Perfect Storm is still coming btw, these are all just teasers.  I'm using the 3D renders to visualize paint/veneer combo's before I decide.  I don't particularly care for the combo pictured, and have something totally different in mind.  There are 2 pair being built right now, one a PS Black and one White.  The Black pair will be in walnut burl with gunmetal paint very similar to previous Joule renders, it's the White pair which in undecided.

Dayum, homie. Large and in charge.

My vote is for the white pair to be finished in ... white. Automotive finish, buffed out like a boss. 

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #39 on: 23 Mar 2015, 04:12 am »
On a side note...what's the speaker in front of the PS? Looks like a floor standing Arcus.

That's a custom job, smaller than the regular Arcus but same construction.  It's actually a pair of cabs on top of each other.  They're for a customer wanting the best possible monitor for sub integration, driver compliment will be the same as the Perfect Storm white.

BTW, the 'end caps' of the Perfect Storm bass bin aren't on yet because they get veneered first.  But they're 1.5" thick with a 1/2" layer of our Inversion Layer material sandwiched in the middle, each end cap weighs just under 50 pounds each.  They make incredible energy sinks, and soak up cabinet resonances like nothing else on the market. 

I'll take some more detailed internal shots of the upper and lower cabs tomorrow, to show just how ridiculous the construction is.