The "Formula One"

Akathriel

Re: The "Formula One"
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jun 2007, 11:36 am »
Steve, if you do reconfigure it for a lower price range, will it be available in both configurations as well?
I guess you can't please everyone  :lol: Steve because what would like to see is a reference quality one box system, with integrated squeezebox and pace cars.  I could care less about any of the other inputs, or volume controlled output (I have a Singlepower balanced integrated/headphone amp) especially if they'd drive the cost up significantly.  I'd love to see a one box solution with a reference quality dac and a seamlessly integrated reference quality transport with fixed balanced outputs for 5-6k.  The aluminum chassis and battery power would of course be very nice but not if theyd drive the price up 2000 dollars.

audioengr

« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2007, 09:46 pm »
Steve, if you do reconfigure it for a lower price range, will it be available in both configurations as well?
I guess you can't please everyone  :lol: Steve because what would like to see is a reference quality one box system, with integrated squeezebox and pace cars.  I could care less about any of the other inputs, or volume controlled output (I have a Singlepower balanced integrated/headphone amp) especially if they'd drive the cost up significantly.  I'd love to see a one box solution with a reference quality dac and a seamlessly integrated reference quality transport with fixed balanced outputs for 5-6k.  The aluminum chassis and battery power would of course be very nice but not if theyd drive the price up 2000 dollars.

I have been struggling with this.  I think the safest thing for me to do is take a baby-step first.  Do the small DAC design with the Off-Ramp integrated inside.  Something that will be less than $2K and compete with the Wavelength, Benchmark and Lavry.

Then, once I have this done and debugged, start on the more integrated full-featured devices with custom cabinetry.  I can always combine these boards and mount them in one box for instance.  I had planned to use my generic Off-Ramp I2S board and generic Pace-Car board inside the full-featured DAC anyway.

Steve N.

Audiophiliac

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jun 2007, 01:04 am »
Good call Steve. Giving the consumer more options is always nice...more work for you...kind of. As long as we can buy the entry level DAC and later upgrade it to the full featured reference model, I will be there. :)

PLMONROE

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jun 2007, 03:23 am »
Good call Steve. Giving the consumer more options is always nice...more work for you...kind of. As long as we can buy the entry level DAC and later upgrade it to the full featured reference model, I will be there. :)

I am not sure that you meant the entry level DAC could or would have an upgrade path, Steve.  But if you did that would be fantastic for the consumer and an equally good business decision for you, IMHO.  :thumb:

Paul

audioengr

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jun 2007, 06:23 pm »

The full-featured DAC will be in a new casework and much larger, probably battery-powered.  Trade-in availability will depend on orders for the smaller DAC.  Frankly, if it is anthing like my Off-Ramp products, it will only last a day or two on Audiogon anyway.

Steve N.

Audiophiliac

« Reply #25 on: 4 Aug 2007, 05:32 am »
Another month come and gone. Any updates on the F1? I am starting to get anxious, because I think I may have decided what speakers I will use with the F1 DAC. Martin Logan will be releasing their Purity model hopefully this month. This is a fully active hybrid electrostatic speaker. With a 200W class D amp for both the panel and woofer. Seems like a perfect match for a super DAC with remote volume control....I am eagerly awaiting these speakers so I can listen and decide if they are what I want....then as soon as the F1 is ready, I will be happy to pair one with the logans. :)

audioengr

« Reply #26 on: 4 Aug 2007, 05:30 pm »
Another month come and gone. Any updates on the F1? I am starting to get anxious, because I think I may have decided what speakers I will use with the F1 DAC. Martin Logan will be releasing their Purity model hopefully this month. This is a fully active hybrid electrostatic speaker. With a 200W class D amp for both the panel and woofer. Seems like a perfect match for a super DAC with remote volume control....I am eagerly awaiting these speakers so I can listen and decide if they are what I want....then as soon as the F1 is ready, I will be happy to pair one with the logans. :)

I wish one month were enough.  These things take a lot of time.  I'm just now putting the finishing touches on the Rev3 Pace-Car now.  Decided to add Toslink to the inputs so I can interface with AirPort Express.

I expect the Formula One to be in prototype test stage in about 6 months.

It is a 2-box concept now, with DC power cable between the boxes.  This way, you can order an AC supply or battery supply for it.  I plan to shield the AC supply with steel to shield both electrostatic and magnetic fields.  I will try to put the Pace-Car inside the F1 chassis, but it may not fit.  It will be an option.  Since the Pace-Car must be configured for different Transports, USB and networked servers, I may leave it outside anyway and have it connect to the I2S input.

Steve N.

wappinghigh

« Reply #27 on: 25 Aug 2007, 02:25 am »
Steve. I will also be in the market for one of these....no problem waiting 6 months..whatever it takes! .AB