DAC-1 volume control mods better than expected

audioengr

DAC-1 volume control mods better than expected
« on: 31 Jul 2007, 05:04 pm »
I upgraded the Benchmark DAC-1 mods for the volume control and headphone outputs for the Head-Fi show in San Jose recently, and the headphone outs performed admirably.  However, I never tested the volume control on the speaker system, because I expected it to be inferior to my modded ML38 preamp.  I had interest from a new customer in this, so I gave it a try this morning.

Boy, was I ever wrong :o

This thing really smokes now.  I can highly recommend using the DAC as a preamp to drive amps directly with this volume/headphone mod.  The only down-side is that it's not remote-controlled.  Sound quality is amazing.  I prefer it to my preamp.

Steve N.

tanchiro58

Re: DAC-1 volume control mods better than expected
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2007, 05:38 pm »
Hi Steve,

Before you did the modifying of Benchmark DAC1 have you had a chance to read this comparison's review of Dan Richards in Studio Forum between DAC1 and Lavry DA10?

http://studioforums.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/694106689/m/6611090261

I am just curious after modifying DAC1 do you think or in your opinion modded DAC1 can beat Lavry DA10 sonically. I have read the other part in this forum about possibility of modifying the Lavry DA10. Could Lavry DA10 be modified like you did to DAC1? What will be the results? Thanks for your time.

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2007, 07:26 pm »
Hi Steve,

Before you did the modifying of Benchmark DAC1 have you had a chance to read this comparison's review of Dan Richards in Studio Forum between DAC1 and Lavry DA10?

http://studioforums.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/694106689/m/6611090261

I am just curious after modifying DAC1 do you think or in your opinion modded DAC1 can beat Lavry DA10 sonically. I have read the other part in this forum about possibility of modifying the Lavry DA10. Could Lavry DA10 be modified like you did to DAC1? What will be the results? Thanks for your time.

No, I have not read this review.  Reviews are not that interesting IMO, unless they come from known experts with known system quality.

The modded DAC-1 beats practically all stock DAC's, including the ultra-expensive ones, including Dodson, Meitner, Accoustic Arts, Reimyo and others.  I have several customers that have sold these DAC's after receiving one of my modded DAC's.

I have read from users that even the new stock DAC-1 USB beats the Lavry DA10, and I believe it.  I have modded the DAC-1 USB also.

As for modding the Lavry, I've considered it and I probably would have jumped-in last year, but I have such a big backlog now and need to focus on designing my own "Formula One" DAC.  Therefore,  I will decline.  I want to reduce my modding jobs, transition to my own products and get some of the assembly out-sourced, so I can reduce the lead-time/backlog and increase my volume.  I hate to make customers wait so long.  This will enable me to reach more customers with my technology faster.

Steve N.

mr_bill

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2007, 10:56 pm »
Steve,
What does the volume mod entail and what is the price?
I use the stock Dac1 straight into my amps and I do use the  Dac1 volume control.
(sure wish it was remote controlled!)
Bill

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2007, 12:01 am »
Steve,
What does the volume mod entail and what is the price?
I use the stock Dac1 straight into my amps and I do use the  Dac1 volume control.
(sure wish it was remote controlled!)
Bill

The volume control mod is $300.  It includes the headphone mods, op-amp upgrades and other circuit changes.

I would recommend that you also consider these if you send it in for mods:

1) Minimum mods - $250
2) Turbomod update - $200
3) Superclock4 - $450 or Superclock3 - $250

The DAC-1 has tremendous potential, but the volume control mods alone will not get it for you.  Read all of the reviews on this forum and my website component mods page.

Steve N.

mr_bill

« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2007, 01:51 am »
Steve,
Have you tried the Bel Canto Dac 3?
I am wondering if it is as good as the Benchmark Dac 1.
I like the fact that it has a remote volume control.
I use a Sony 7000 and a SB3 for transports.
Thanks,
Bill

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2007, 05:02 am »
Steve,
Have you tried the Bel Canto Dac 3?
I am wondering if it is as good as the Benchmark Dac 1.
I like the fact that it has a remote volume control.
I use a Sony 7000 and a SB3 for transports.
Thanks,
Bill

I have not heard the DAC3, but I know whats inside.  I spoke with the designer about it too.  The clock in it is definitely better than the DAC-1 USB so the jitter on the stock unit will be lower, but the USB interface is not as good.  Will not support 24/96.  It has a superior upsampling chip also.  It works fine with MAC, but I dont expect stellar results with PC.  You must use KS or ASIO to bypass kmixer.

If you use SB3 for a transport I would highly recommend the Pace-Car driving the DAC-1 with my modded I2S interface.  This is the lowest jitter 16/44.1 on the planet.  Best digital audio I have heard - the only thing that is comparable is the Off-Ramp driving a Pace-Car to the DAC-1 with I2S interface.

Steve N.

hadden

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2007, 02:32 pm »
Steve,

Over at Head-fi, like you, they don't think the stock headphone out on the Dac1 is much good. It sounds fine to me. I seem to be the only one who has no issue with it, and I've compared it with a couple of good headphone amps I have on hand.  What do you think is wrong with it and how do you improve it?

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2007, 06:38 pm »
Steve,

Over at Head-fi, like you, they don't think the stock headphone out on the Dac1 is much good. It sounds fine to me. I seem to be the only one who has no issue with it, and I've compared it with a couple of good headphone amps I have on hand.  What do you think is wrong with it and how do you improve it?

Like most things, until you have heard a good head-amp, you dont know what you are missing.  I recently compared my modded headphone out to the Grace amp/DAC combo.  It absolutely killed it.  No contest.  The only thing I have found that is close is some of the Ray Samuels amps.

What is wrong with the headphone circuit is a bit technical, but here goes:

1) the pot is not isolated from the op-amp feedback loop, so it reduces the bandwidth and introduces noise
2) the signal return paths are very indirect due to ground-plane splits, so this introduces noise and crosstalk
3) the op-amps are not good ones
4) the power delivery to the op-amps is poor IMO
5) the headphone driver devices have poor power delivery

All of these things contribute to make the headphone output undynamic, unextended, phasey and unfocused.  It may sound half-way decent in the midrange, but the top and bottom are broken IMO.  Imaging is only fair.

Steve N.