Eric Hider - dB Audio Labs - Mac Mini

bhassel

Eric Hider - dB Audio Labs - Mac Mini
« on: 10 Mar 2024, 04:31 pm »
Sorry, I know this is probably redundant, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Is this product still available? I see no reference to the Mac-mini on the https://www.db-audiolab.com/ web site.

I have a new Mac Mini collecting dust, and I know it won't work because of the Erics stripped down code, etc. so, it will still be collecting dust for a while.

Bob

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Eric Hider - dB Audio Labs - Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2024, 05:15 pm »
Bob,

That website looks nothing like Eric's old site. It's not the same website. I searched for his old website and came up empty handed. Try searching for Eric Hider. You may have better luck.  Are you interested in getting your Mac Mini modded to Eric's standard, or are you hoping to buy his DAC? If Eric is still in business, I know a guy who would know how to phone him.

Michael

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2024, 05:49 pm »
Are you asking if there is a way to convert a newly purchased Mac Mini (using one of the M series processors) to a dedicated music server running on battery power?

I have a db-audiolab Tranquility DAC and a Mac Mini converted to battery power with a stripped-down operating system. The actual conversion was done by Mach2 Music and sold on Eric Hider's website, if I recall correctly. I bought the battery power supply for the Mac Mini from Dave Elledge. This was in 2011.

I don't think any of that equipment is made now. Running a Roon ROCK server on a very stripped down Linux OS running on an Intel NUC works a bit better than the modification of the Mac OS: you can remove a lot more cruft in the system with Linux. Then you can isolate the noise in the computer from the playback system by sending data via ethernet.

I still have the old Mac Mini and Tranquility DAC for a possible third system, but I haven't set it up in a few years.

bhassel

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2024, 02:54 pm »
Thanks for the updates. I was just attempting to figure out some options for my system. I appreciate your feed back!

Bob

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2024, 04:51 pm »
Here is the step-by-step for installing the free Roon ROCK software on an Intel NUC (which is essentially the same thing inside a Roon Nucleus).

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/rock-install-guide#1_Prepare_your_NUC_hardware__accessories_for_the_install

Then you just need a NAS if your music is not on one already. A <$100 ethernet switch and an iFi low-noise power supply can connect the Intel NUC, NAS, and streamer via ethernet. The only drawback is that the switch will need to be connected by ethernet to your home network so that you can run things from a phone, tablet, or other computer on the network. The good thing is that this gets WiFi completely out of the signal path, which is as important as the removal of background processes in the operating system.

BrandonB

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2024, 09:12 pm »
Here is the step-by-step for installing the free Roon ROCK software on an Intel NUC (which is essentially the same thing inside a Roon Nucleus).

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/rock-install-guide#1_Prepare_your_NUC_hardware__accessories_for_the_install

Then you just need a NAS if your music is not on one already. A <$100 ethernet switch and an iFi low-noise power supply can connect the Intel NUC, NAS, and streamer via ethernet. The only drawback is that the switch will need to be connected by ethernet to your home network so that you can run things from a phone, tablet, or other computer on the network. The good thing is that this gets WiFi completely out of the signal path, which is as important as the removal of background processes in the operating system.

Can you stream from the nuc?  If so I always read about noise and jitter does it do ok with that?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2024, 09:29 pm »
Thanks for the updates. I was just attempting to figure out some options for my system. I appreciate your feed back!

Bob

Bob,

Pete at Triode Wire Labs has forwarded your inquiry to Eric Hider. [Thanks, Pete!]

newzooreview

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2024, 09:58 pm »
You use the Roon app on a phone, tablet, or computer to tell the Roon Rock server (the NUC) what music to stream and where to stream it.

Any "Roon Ready" device connected to the network (via WiFi or ethernet) can receive the streamed music. Once the NUC is set up, you can stream any number of devices on the network.

About the cheapest Roon Ready device is a Raspberry Pi running the free Ropieee software.
A better option would be a WiiM Pro Plus with coax output.
And even better would be a streamer like the Hifi Rose, Eversolo A8, or many others.

I've found that using Roon to run things is 10x better than the clumsy software that a lot of these streamers, even the expensive ones, come with.

I use an iFi iSilencer on the ethernet and run the switch on an iFi iPower Elite.

Realistically, there are lots of sources of EM noise on cabling that can exacerbate inherent jitter in digital. Alpha Audio has done a lot of tests and comparisons of streamers and noise in streaming: https://www.youtube.com/@TheAlphaAudio/videos

Although I have sold off my main system for a move, I have become interested in Streamer/DAC/amp devices where the designer can mitigate the jitter from input to DAC. I have not heard the Axxess Forte, for example, but it's an interesting approach: https://audiogroupdenmark.com/product/axxess-amplifier-forte/

My main system had been a Holo May KTE DAC, Holo Serene KTE preamp, and Pass Labs or  Benchmark amps. So, I've always assumed that separates each optimized for a purpose were better, but I'm trying to keep an open mind as technology evolves. A new main system is a while away, so for now it's just browsing the shop windows.

mkrawcz

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2024, 11:02 pm »
Big Roon fan here. I originally built a Roon server from a NUC but actually discovered that there was a container image for it so I have Roon server running as a Docker container on my Synology NAS. Works perfectly. For endpoints, I use a Holo Red streamer running Ropieee on my main system, several Raspberry Pi’s running either Ropieee or Moode player. Plus some DACs that are Roon ready.

BrandonB

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2024, 11:25 pm »
You use the Roon app on a phone, tablet, or computer to tell the Roon Rock server (the NUC) what music to stream and where to stream it.

Any "Roon Ready" device connected to the network (via WiFi or ethernet) can receive the streamed music. Once the NUC is set up, you can stream any number of devices on the network.

About the cheapest Roon Ready device is a Raspberry Pi running the free Ropieee software.
A better option would be a WiiM Pro Plus with coax output.
And even better would be a streamer like the Hifi Rose, Eversolo A8, or many others.

I've found that using Roon to run things is 10x better than the clumsy software that a lot of these streamers, even the expensive ones, come with.

I use an iFi iSilencer on the ethernet and run the switch on an iFi iPower Elite.

Realistically, there are lots of sources of EM noise on cabling that can exacerbate inherent jitter in digital. Alpha Audio has done a lot of tests and comparisons of streamers and noise in streaming: https://www.youtube.com/@TheAlphaAudio/videos

Although I have sold off my main system for a move, I have become interested in Streamer/DAC/amp devices where the designer can mitigate the jitter from input to DAC. I have not heard the Axxess Forte, for example, but it's an interesting approach: https://audiogroupdenmark.com/product/axxess-amplifier-forte/

My main system had been a Holo May KTE DAC, Holo Serene KTE preamp, and Pass Labs or  Benchmark amps. So, I've always assumed that separates each optimized for a purpose were better, but I'm trying to keep an open mind as technology evolves. A new main system is a while away, so for now it's just browsing the shop windows.

What did you think about your Holo May and Holo Preamp set up?  Does it sound analytical?  I am building my system.  I have NX-otica's and SMC DNA.5 amp which is suppose to be similar to Pass. I had been looking at some DAC's which include a Denafrips Venus II, or something like an ANK, I have even looked at the moded PS Audio direct stream DAC.  They are raving about this DAC with the mods.  I just don't want it to be to analytical.  I had thought about getting a tube preamp to help smooth out the sound.

newzooreview

« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2024, 11:46 pm »
The Holo May KTE was not cold or analytical, and it could retrieve subtle details better than my Benchmark DAC3. The DAC3 was a bit analytical. The Holo May KTE also has a real, separate DSD DAC. It does not just convert DSD to PCM and send it to the main DAC chip. I really enjoyed the Holo May KTE. The Serene simply got out of the way. It was a bit more transparent than the Benchmark HPA4 that it replaced.

mkrawcz

« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2024, 12:15 am »
What did you think about your Holo May and Holo Preamp set up?  Does it sound analytical?  I am building my system.  I have NX-otica's and SMC DNA.5 amp which is suppose to be similar to Pass. I had been looking at some DAC's which include a Denafrips Venus II, or something like an ANK, I have even looked at the moded PS Audio direct stream DAC.  They are raving about this DAC with the mods.  I just don't want it to be to analytical.  I had thought about getting a tube preamp to help smooth out the sound.
I’ve had the ANK for a while now and it’s simply my favorite dac. I wish I had a May to compare. With the Spring though, I never prefer it over the ANK. If you end up building an ANK over buying a completed one, I must warn you. The customer service is horrible. The guy never seems to send out a kit with all its parts if you read forums. I had the same experience. I had numerous missing hardware, wiring, etc and getting him to send that stuff was a challenge.

BrandonB

« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2024, 12:23 am »
I’ve had the ANK for a while now and it’s simply my favorite dac. I wish I had a May to compare. With the Spring though, I never prefer it over the ANK. If you end up building an ANK over buying a completed one, I must warn you. The customer service is horrible. The guy never seems to send out a kit with all its parts if you read forums. I had the same experience. I had numerous missing hardware, wiring, etc and getting him to send that stuff was a challenge.
I would definatly buy used or have it built.  Thinking about it buying used may be risky with a DIY DAC unless they had it built.  Which ANK do you have?

mkrawcz

« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2024, 12:30 am »
I would definatly buy used or have it built.  Thinking about it buying used may be risky with a DIY DAC unless they had it built.  Which ANK do you have?
I have the 2.1 signature.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2024, 03:55 pm »
I've heard the Holo May DAC (dunno which level) and got to borrow the Spring II KTE for a while.

I would never describe either of them as analytical, they are very clean and offer lots of fine details, but they are also smooth, balanced DACs from what I remember.
Compared to Danny's custom Dodd DAC, the vocals sit a little more "forward" in the soundstage, but are both very good.

I haven't heard the new Cyan 2, but I have heard good things thus far in that it's quite similar in performance to the May, but for a lot less.

WGH

« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2024, 08:39 pm »
I have the HoloAudio May KTE, two friends have an ANK 2.1 and an ANK 5.1, all three DACs are smooth with clear details, any of the three would be an excellent choice.

The main difference between the three DACs is the May will play any hi-res PCM, DSD and DXD format natively because it has two DACs inside, it does zero processing of any input signal. The ANK DAC's upper limit is 24bit/96kHz, all DSD or DXD downloads will have to be converted to 24bit/96kHz PCM.

The HoloAudio May KTE really shines with hi-res recordings. Carmen Gomes "Stones in My Passway" is a DXD 352kHz/24bit download from Sound Liason, the file is 5.51GB. Carmen Gomes 2012 album "Thousand Shades of Blue" is a 24bit/96kHz download and a 967MB download. Playing "Stone in My Passway" on an ANK DAC will require throwing away 4/5ths of the data. Whether you can hear a difference or even care if there is a difference is up to you.
https://soundliaison.com/

If streaming is the main source for music then the HoloAudio May KTE will probably be overkill, it can't put back what was stripped out.

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 12 Mar 2024, 09:13 pm »

Here are some answers to the various questions asked above -

- As of this last year, I let the db audio labs website expire. This is due to all the various worldwide companies in many electronic devices and pro gear all using my company name, very confusing to those looking for my company any my digital offerings.

- I have offered Modified Mac Mini optimizations for over a decade now. For those who want a dedicated server for CD rips which can offer sonics actually above streaming downloads in terms of sounding more like analog, not "better digital: The actual goal of all my digital products  :D

- In regard to my "optimizations" creating OS issues - each and every Mini I have every modified can revert back to Applie's original OS with just a few clicks directly on their Mac Miini. It's basic and I can assist anyone who wants this done as well.

Should anyone want to contact me, please reach out with an email to - ehider@me.com

Happy Listening!

Eric Hider

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2024, 03:40 pm »
Hey Eric. How are you.

charles