Monitor stand alternatives??

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Monitor stand alternatives??
« Reply #20 on: 18 Aug 2015, 11:04 am »
My current plan is to experiment with height when my new Super Alnico 6 Monitors arrive and then when I know what the best height is, to spring for a pair of the A & M Fabrication four post steel stands. I've exchanged a few emails with the proprietors and they seem very responsive and courteous; always a good sign.   :thumb:

Smart to experiment first.

rebbi

« Reply #21 on: 18 Aug 2015, 01:33 pm »
These MDF stands for my Omega Bipoles (BTW they are for sale :)) were easy to build and cheap too. The good thing about these stands is that they're almost full width and are flush with the baffles thereby providing the "beard" effect which extends the bass output of the drivers. They can also be filled with sand for mass loading.

Rajacat,
Having never built anything like your stands, how did you go about it? Are they simply glued together? Where do you get those kinds of materials? Etc, etc...   :dunno:

JLM

« Reply #22 on: 18 Aug 2015, 02:46 pm »
Easy solution would be to use pre-laminated shelves (cut to fit the speaker width/depth), glued to corner blocking, with a couple of pieces of solid wood for the top and bottom (finish as desired) that you can screw to the blocking to allow filling with shot/sand.  The lumberyard/home improvement store can make super straight cuts for you.  If you're energetic/talented you can router the edges of the top and bottom plates to dress them up.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #23 on: 18 Aug 2015, 03:42 pm »
Rajacat,
Having never built anything like your stands, how did you go about it? Are they simply glued together? Where do you get those kinds of materials? Etc, etc...   :dunno:
JLM's suggestions will get you there.
 I shouldn't assume that everybody has a tablesaw in their garage. :duh:
You could use plywood instead of MDF; its a lot less messy. However, ply is more difficult to finish.
 I used a router, tablesaw, a few clamps, yellow glue and a brad nailer. I simply cut the wood to size, applied glue to the edges, clamped a butt joint in position and used the brad nailer to secure the joint. I did each butt joint one by one until the box was complete. The brads act as clamps. The glue provides the strength. Carpenter's glue is very strong. No screws needed so there aren't a lot of sizable holes to fill.

The base doesn't necessarily require a router. You could get by with judicious use of sandpaper. No need for blocks in the corners. Light filling will be needed.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 18 Aug 2015, 04:45 pm »
To an American Skylan is not pricey.  The four poster, which is a top class stand is under $400 due to the low Canadian dollar and their shipping is cheap (free in Canada, and maybe to the States too, not sure).  The pricing on the smaller stands is also really good.

One thing to bear in mind about commercially made speaker stands like Skylan is they're made to not only look attractive, but sound good.  They're not just made to get the speakers off the floor.  Companies like Skylan have been in this business for years and know what they're doing as they do nothing else.

If I drooped 2K on a pair of speakers and couldn't afford commercial stands I would make my own or buy something non audio like a plant stand etc to get me by until I could afford a pair of commercial stands.  :thumb:

JLM

« Reply #25 on: 18 Aug 2015, 05:45 pm »
JLM's suggestions will get you there.
 I shouldn't assume that everybody has a tablesaw in their garage. :duh:
You could use plywood instead of MDF; its a lot less messy. However, ply is more difficult to finish.
 I used a router, tablesaw, a few clamps, yellow glue and a brad nailer. I simply cut the wood to size, applied glue to the edges, clamped a butt joint in position and used the brad nailer to secure the joint. I did each butt joint one by one until the box was complete. The brads act as clamps. The glue provides the strength. Carpenter's glue is very strong. No screws needed so there aren't a lot of sizable holes to fill.

The base doesn't necessarily require a router. You could get by with judicious use of sandpaper. No need for blocks in the corners. Light filling will be needed.

Some live in a small apartment with no garage.  The corner blocking makes for stronger joints than butt joints and easier to clamp in position.  Yep a hand planer, wood file, or lots of sanding could replace a router.

Not sure why a $300 USD manufactured stand would be any better than a much cheaper custom built, shot/sand filled MDF stand.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #26 on: 18 Aug 2015, 06:45 pm »
Some live in a small apartment with no garage.  The corner blocking makes for stronger joints than butt joints and easier to clamp in position.  Yep a hand planer, wood file, or lots of sanding could replace a router.

Butt joints in this application are strong enough. The glue is stronger than the wood. They've held my stands, filled with 50 lbs.+ of sand, together for well over 5 years. In some ways screws weaken MDF. A small brad nailer makes many DIY projects a piece of cake.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 18 Aug 2015, 08:48 pm »

Not sure why a $300 USD manufactured stand would be any better than a much cheaper custom built, shot/sand filled MDF stand.

-Some have no resources whatsoever to build stands.
-Commercial stands are generally more attractive looking and fit into decor better as not all stereos are in the man cave.
-Those of us who are in the business of audio make nothing when Joe Audiophile goes to Home Depot for his DIY speaker stand parts.  We have to eat too.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #28 on: 18 Aug 2015, 08:56 pm »
If one doesn't have the tools and the work space, it's not worth the hassle to DIY your stands.
 Most of the commercial stands seem to be nothing more than steel poles with flat plate on the bottom and top. IMO they're aesthetically challenged. I prefer a stand that blends with the speakers better and doesn't call attention to itself.

rebbi

« Reply #29 on: 10 Sep 2015, 05:00 pm »
I am very sorry to report that the folks at A & M Custom Speaker Stands are taking a production hiatus. I was about to call them and talk to them about making a set of stands for my Super Alnico monitors when I saw a message posted on their homepage saying that both members of the father-son team that makes these speaker stands has been diagnosed with cancer so they are shutting down until October 1. Too bad! I wish them both well! :(

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 10 Sep 2015, 07:11 pm »
I am very sorry to report that the folks at A & M Custom Speaker Stands are taking a production hiatus. I was about to call them and talk to them about making a set of stands for my Super Alnico monitors when I saw a message posted on their homepage saying that both members of the father-son team that makes these speaker stands has been diagnosed with cancer so they are shutting down until October 1. Too bad! I wish them both well! :(

That is awful news.  I wish them well too.

rebbi

« Reply #31 on: 11 Sep 2015, 04:10 pm »
Check these out, especially the V series.

http://www.webmall2000.net/storage/mhv_stand.asp
[/quote

Hi, spence,

Thank you for this tip. Have you ever actually seen or used one of these? I'm a little concerned that the top plate is quite small for a big monitor like the Super Alnico, but the price is certainly great.

sunnydaze

« Reply #32 on: 12 Sep 2015, 03:29 pm »
Cut your own top plate ---- wood or metal or whatever you want ---- to your own ideal dimensions, and screw or glue it on.  It's not a big deal.  Really.