Poll

Which do you prefer for gaming, consoles or PCs?

I play PC games and console games about equally.
0 (0%)
I prefer to play on PCs, but I play a bit on consoles, too.
4 (17.4%)
I mainly play console games, but I dabble in PC games.
3 (13%)
Strictly PC for me.
9 (39.1%)
I only play console games.
7 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: 11 Jan 2006, 10:22 am

Consoles vs PCs

ricmon

Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jan 2006, 05:05 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I dunno about that...my brother has a pretty decent PC, 3.0 Gig Northwood Pentium, midlevel ATI card, and it flatly won't play Diablo 2.  It just bogs down to a crawl.  I've seen that with a lot of games on several machines.

sounds like not enough ram or pc miscogfiguration (swap file size ect)

rbrb

Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #21 on: 13 Jan 2006, 05:38 pm »
I have a PC that can run games okay, with an Audigy sound card, Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 speaker system etc etc.

I just find that playing on a console makes it more of a Home Theater experience.  Regardless of how much ram, whether it's the lastest video card, what processor a PC has I don't think a PC can come close to comparing to the kind of experience a console can give on a serious HT system with a big screen TV.

The best 'you are there' experiences I have had on my HT rig has been Polar Express on DVD and Project Gotham Racing 2 in the first person perspective controller in hand resting on my lap while sunk into my big comfy couch with the sound cranked and subs a rumblin in full 5.1 surround sound.  Absolutely Awesome!!! Like a roller coaster ride.  PC's can't compete with that.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jan 2006, 10:37 pm »
I didn't take it as you being a dick.  And for the record, he is fairly computer savvy, but I didn't build it for him (I know he has 1 Gig of very low CAS latency DDR...).  But obviously that makes one of my points for me, right?  Something's wrong and you really need to be a borderline expert to figure out what.  That's not something you run into with consoles.  Sure, occasionally you have a glitch or a bug and a game might hang up, but compatability & misconfiguration issues don't exist.  That's the beauty of console gaming.

Let's not forget that a console is also a computer.  The Xbox, for instance, used a Pentium and a vid card not all that different than your PC might use.  We're not comparing apples to oranges so much as navel oranges to blood oranges. :wink:

mcrespo71

Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2006, 11:33 pm »
I'm a console gamer, as I like the simplicity of setup and the need to upgrade every 4-5 years or so.  However, I'm quite aware of how much better a PC is graphically, if it's totally tweaked out.  However, graphics always takes second place to art direction and gameplay to me, which is why I stay on the console side because, IMO, the best software designer- Nintendo- only designs for consoles.  Also, no doubt in my mind that the controller is far inferior to the mouse and keyboard on first person shooters.  I hope the Nintendo Revolution controller will address this gap, as it's supposed to be quite innovative.

Michael

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #24 on: 13 Jan 2006, 11:47 pm »
I guess it's what you're used to.  I hate a mouse for FPS.  And I flatly couldn't ever get used to a mouse for Diablo, try as I might.

Folsom

Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #25 on: 14 Jan 2006, 12:24 am »
ricmon I would actually first guess a problem with overloaded computer, to many programs, temporary internet files etc.... or I would turn to video card settings / drivers.

You can hook up a computer to a TV and surround sound receiver.... the key being having a TV with a good input that is HD. This makes every thing a win-win situation for the simple games like racing etc. so actually PC can more then compete with that with their endless input and output ability. Plus you can tweak the settings 10x more for color and every thing else.

If you want to play a more involved game (MMORPG) you will have to use a computer for it to be worth it. Yeah a big TV is cool, but a monitor in perspective gives you a more detailed look because you sit like less then two feet from it, and the picture is always better.

Rob I can understand you not being into a mouse for an FPS, if I was controller savvy I would not be either. However the argument will always stand true that a mouse gives you better control whether or not you like it. I would like to see you try playing CS:S with a controller  :lol: ; hell I would play against you just to shoot you in the head while you where still turning.

Last note..... You would find my balls on top of my fridge in a spam container before you found a Celeron in a computer I built or purchased.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #26 on: 14 Jan 2006, 01:00 am »
I don't use a Celeron.  Well, okay- this computer I'm typing from is a Celeron, but it's just for monkeying around online.  I've got a Pentium Northwood 3.0 built to the hilt that shares the monitor & stuff via KVM.  Or I should say it was reasonably stout when I built it- it's no great shakes nowadays.

Next one I build with be an AMD...

Anyways, how would you shoot me at all?  I don't dick around with online circle-jerk lan-ning!:P  :lol:

Folsom

Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #27 on: 14 Jan 2006, 01:11 am »
I believe that you are not a participant of that.... I myself am not even aware of any one that is playing online (the internet) LAN (LOCAL area network).

You know the only truely good enemy to face in a game is another person. Sure AI have come a long ways (I knew some one who developed them in a game to the point of amazement) but until they really are self aware they will never fully compare. Granted enemies can be made to be impossible to beat via AI programming but that does not count, there are always weakness programmed in and only so many ways to deal with it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #28 on: 14 Jan 2006, 01:41 am »
I don't even have Xbox live at the moment, although I'll probably re-subscribe, if for no other reason than the downloadable content.

I'll still reeling from last years MechAssault drubbing at the hands of Bubba966! :oops:  :lol:

bubba966

Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #29 on: 14 Jan 2006, 02:12 am »
I'll still reeling from last years MechAssault drubbing at the hands of Bubba966! :oops:  :lol:

I think it's been at least 2 years since I whooped your ass at MA...  :lol:  :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #30 on: 14 Jan 2006, 03:52 am »
Maybe, but the wounds haven't healed yet- man I suck! :lol:

bubba966

Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #31 on: 14 Jan 2006, 09:21 am »
Maybe, but the wounds haven't healed yet- man I suck! :lol:

Get the Neosporin out and fix that! I've been payin' for Live for years. And other than whoopin your ass on MA for an hour, and playing H2 for a couple of hours I've not used it for playing online... :roll:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2006, 10:14 am »
It's sad...for a while I was out of work, but now that I've gone back to the restaurant industry my work weeks are back to 50-75 hours.  I have time working the same hours in to game like I did when I worked in a bank.

On the other hand, I now have a shitload of cash, so I can actually buy gear now- but I don't have time to play with it! :lol:

Folsom

Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #33 on: 14 Jan 2006, 11:27 am »
I now have a shitload of cash

Just the amount I like!

Why not keep the flow going for awhile and turn it into some thing other then equipment that has a little more.... financial stability and then get another 40 hour a week job.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #34 on: 14 Jan 2006, 08:26 pm »
Naw, I don't spend it all on gear.  But all work and no play... :lol:

I'd probably go crazy working a 40 hr "normal job."

Voodoo Rufus

Consoles vs PCs
« Reply #35 on: 27 Mar 2006, 12:51 am »
For me, I prefer PCs for my Halo and general gameplay, but Gran Turismo makes me want to get a PS3 someday for playing with friends.  :o