Horn Loudspeakers

mkane

Re: Horn Loudspeakers
« Reply #80 on: 27 Feb 2018, 05:39 pm »
 Walnut, Cherry, Birch. Whatever I can get my hands on. I'll get a handle on dimensions next time around.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #81 on: 27 Feb 2018, 06:51 pm »

Here's the original concept from Bill Woods. Mine are solid cherry comprised of 12 "petals" per horn. I've not heard anything better but that rather brash sounding statement should be qualified by the fact that I'm not much in the game anymore nor do I get out much to hear alternatives. I take some encouragement, however, from the Cogent guys and OMA, both of whom have turned a lot of heads with Bill's horns.
Mine could be for sale if someone is interested and the price is right.

Unison845

« Reply #82 on: 6 Jun 2020, 12:19 pm »
My experiment with all out effort putting together an active  Quad-amp Horn system.

Jon L

« Reply #83 on: 6 Jun 2020, 03:10 pm »
My experiment with all out effort putting together an active  Quad-amp Horn system.

Wow, congrats! :thumb:

How are you handling the crossover duties, e.g. passive, analogue/digital active, DSP correction, etc?

Unison845

« Reply #84 on: 6 Jun 2020, 09:29 pm »
Crossover is pure analog. It is second-order linkwitz riley crossover, built into each tube amp  (6 mono block ). The 2 15 woofer is crossed third order using Behringer digital crossover and 200W solid state amp.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #85 on: 6 Jun 2020, 11:29 pm »
  They are intense looking. Bet they sound marvelous. Nice work.

charles

jcsperson

« Reply #86 on: 7 Jun 2020, 04:37 am »
I've always wanted to hear these.

jcsperson

« Reply #88 on: 7 Jun 2020, 03:29 pm »

Tritium

« Reply #89 on: 27 Jun 2020, 08:45 pm »
I am surprised there is no "Horn" circle?

Or have i missed it somehow?

Spent some time on these two sites...

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/giant-custom-horn-systems-how-they-sound-and-issues-with-sonics.25071/

www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/threads/hornografi.51190/.

Amazing variety of systems.

Great rabbit holes to spend time in.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #90 on: 28 Jun 2020, 01:34 am »
I am surprised there is no "Horn" circle?

Or have i missed it somehow?

Spent some time on these two sites...

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/giant-custom-horn-systems-how-they-sound-and-issues-with-sonics.25071/

www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/threads/hornografi.51190/.

Amazing variety of systems.

Great rabbit holes to spend time in.
There is no Circle for horns but you can ask Admin a Horn Circle with a volunteer facilitator on hand.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2020, 03:36 am by FullRangeMan »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #91 on: 28 Jun 2020, 11:24 am »
Nothing better than a good horn loaded speaker.  Unfortunately most are huge, require a very big room to perform their best, and lack horn loading of the bass.  The JBL 708P (active) had horn loaded (acting as a wave guide) compression tweeter and ported 8 inch woofer.  They were 92 dB/w/m - not the most efficient but IMO the best compromise between efficiency and lack of colorations, each driver were powered by 250 watts.  They throughly filled my 8ft x 13ft x 21ft room without overloading it.  Used them mid-field and they produced exceptional imaging.  Overall the best speakers for home use I've ever heard. 

Reported the best bass horns are made of concrete (to provide needed stiffness) and the size of a garage (to generate deep bass).  Few have heard them.

hi5harry

« Reply #92 on: 28 Jun 2020, 12:31 pm »

I finally finished my horn loaded bass subwoofers by dropping a pair of JBL 18 inch drivers into them. I think they are only augmenting the bass from 30hz to around 70hz and they are adjusted so I don't hear a woof, BUT, what they are doing for my soundstage is phenomenal! It's the GIANT refrigerator on the far left.

Swann36

• A widower finding solace in music
« Reply #93 on: 5 Oct 2020, 10:41 am »
I reeeeaaalllly like these horns!

Are these not Tannoy Dual Concentrics rather than Horns ?

RDavidson

« Reply #94 on: 5 Oct 2020, 02:39 pm »
The Tannoys use a dual concentric driver in a waveguide. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a horn is also technically a waveguide. The terms get commonly interchanged. To get more specific, the main difference is that a horn has a compression chamber, whereas a waveguide does not. In other words they are not really one and the same, but their goal is the same = controlled dispersion of sound waves.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #95 on: 5 Oct 2020, 09:04 pm »
the main difference is that a horn has a compression chamber, whereas a waveguide does not.

Not true. You can have a tapped horn without a compression chamber. Frugel-Horns & BIBs are a good example.

dave

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #96 on: 5 Oct 2020, 10:03 pm »
A waveguide has constant directivity and a horn does not. A waveguide is, imo a subset of horns.

RDavidson

« Reply #97 on: 6 Oct 2020, 02:59 am »
Thanks for the corrections. :D A lot of misunderstanding between what constitutes a horn vs waveguide. :oops: