Best speakers under $3000 USD ??

AvsFan

Re: Best speakers under $3000 USD ??
« Reply #160 on: 15 Jul 2020, 07:52 pm »
The new Heresy and new Forte are massive steps up in refinement over any prior Klipsch speaker.

Yeah, I was talking more the Klipsch stuff you get at your local Best Buy.  :D

AvsFan

« Reply #161 on: 15 Jul 2020, 07:54 pm »
:D that big Tekton speaker has 15 tweets ,,,,, 4500.00 ,, 125 pounds ,,,, would love to hear that beast .  :D

Tekton and Eric's designs are very interesting. All those "tweets" are not actually tweeters in the sense you and I know them in, they actually are midrange drivers from what I've read.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #162 on: 15 Jul 2020, 08:17 pm »
Yeah, I was talking more the Klipsch stuff you get at your local Best Buy.  :D

Those are pretty rough sounding.

AvsFan

« Reply #163 on: 15 Jul 2020, 08:59 pm »
Those are pretty rough sounding.

For sure. But like I said. RP-600, which was at RMAF and has gotten some good reviews, I simply was not impressed in the least bit. I REALLY want to hear the good Klipsch horns!  :D

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #164 on: 16 Jul 2020, 11:07 am »
This is why I linked the Volti Razz in a previous post...1" tweeter....2" midrange...12" woofer...97db sensitivity....and 80w max power for a 113db peak at the listening position...so they have dynamic capability with minimal beaming...full disclosure, I haven't heard them but knowing the sound of Greg's other speakers, other than the $5k price, these would meet the other requirements listed.

http://voltiaudio.com/razz/

They also come in Cherry!!  Interesting design 🤔

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #165 on: 16 Jul 2020, 11:55 am »
The JBL 708P's I owned only rated down to 40 Hz, but otherwise almost fills the bill: sounded very good; dynamic; 118 dB/m maximum; controlled directivity; used a 2 inch compression tweeter and 8 inch ported woofer in a large monitor cabinet; unfortunately $4000/pair.  Not well suited for an amp designer as they are active. 

NICKTENN

« Reply #166 on: 16 Jul 2020, 12:50 pm »
Side note update, I decided to pass on trying out the Tekton Double Impacts and pulled the trigger on trading in the JTR 110HT’s for the JTR 210HT’s (2 way with two 10” woofers in a sealed enclosure, combined with an ultra highend compression driver). I think technically these fit all the requirements (well maybe not waf, oh and they’re not full range so never mind). Ill be using them for double purpose music and movies in my small dedicated theater room.

Side side note, anybody build their own Lii 15 open baffles? Thinking about doing this as a side project.

https://www.jtrspeakers.com/jtr-noesis-210ht

« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2020, 06:03 pm by NICKTENN »

RonN5

« Reply #167 on: 16 Jul 2020, 01:34 pm »
NICKTENN

What is the lead time on the 210s?  It would seem with the crossover at 700hz that beaming will not be problem.  Being 34" tall, are they tilted back firing up to the listening position or is the horn angled in a way that the height isn't an issue?

NICKTENN

« Reply #168 on: 16 Jul 2020, 01:40 pm »
NICKTENN

What is the lead time on the 210s?  It would seem with the crossover at 700hz that beaming will not be problem.  Being 34" tall, are they tilted back firing up to the listening position or is the horn angled in a way that the height isn't an issue?

I didn’t press Jeff on a lead time as I already know he’s swamped and he’s letting me keep the 110’s until the 210’s can ship, my guess is 1-2 months.

I plan to place the 210’s on speaker stands to raise the center of the speaker to around 37”-38” (my approximate ear level). These are considered monitor speakers, not floor standers.

AvsFan

« Reply #169 on: 16 Jul 2020, 04:43 pm »
I didn’t press Jeff on a lead time as I already know he’s swamped and he’s letting me keep the 110’s until the 210’s can ship, my guess is 1-2 months.

I plan to place the 210’s on speaker stands to raise the center of the speaker to around 37”-38” (my approximate ear level). These are considered monitor speakers, not floor standers.

Well they are only 2" shorter than my floor standing ZU's.  :D

AvsFan

« Reply #170 on: 16 Jul 2020, 04:53 pm »

I am VERY interested in your end results. Tommy loves his JTR's. I might just keep the ZU's in here and put some JTR'S in my theater room.

NICKTENN

« Reply #171 on: 16 Jul 2020, 07:16 pm »
I am VERY interested in your end results. Tommy loves his JTR's. I might just keep the ZU's in here and put some JTR'S in my theater room.

I can’t wait! My only gripe with the 110 was in order to achieve it’s 80hz rating it needs to be close to the wall (and Jeff does note this on his website) which is fine for surrounds, but not the best when using them as mains pulling double duty for movies and music. The music loses it’s imaging and sound stage when close to the wall vs pulled out a couple feet. The speakers themselves sounded great though! Awesome dynamics, clarity, etc., I just wanted a bit more low end.

These 210’s should allow me to have them off the wall a couple feet and still have enough low end to cross over easily at 80hz with my subs.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #172 on: 17 Jul 2020, 08:16 pm »
Maybe, maybe not. Looks like tow-in (very directional above 10,000 Hz) and amplification would be critical.
JA writes the big bass may balance out the big treble.

Here is Mr. Roberts’ response:

“ Just thought I should address the FR anomalies that show up in the test measurements so you understand where those come from.

I am using a mid driver that also covers up into tweeter territory. I have tried and can easily make a filter that will cross-over the mid and tweet very neatly by using an inductor on 'top' of the mid.

During the development of any of my speakers, I 'bread-board' the crossovers in front of me on a table, with both speakers set up for music listening. I'm able to run test measurements and then switch over to music and play with the crossover components on the fly. It's a great way to listen to the different filter changes and then measure to see where I'm at. It's my way of doing things.

On the Razz, I found that I enjoyed the sound of the midrange better when I removed the filter from the top and just let it run into the tweeter. Every time I made this change with music playing and then ran a test measurement I could see that the measurement looked terrible. But I couldn't ignore the fact that it sounded better to me.

So I decided to go with what sounded best to me, not what measured the best.

If you're one of those people who cannot accept a speaker that measures bad, Volti Audio speakers are probably not for you. You have lots of choices out there for speakers that measure good, so you don't need to be messing around with mine.

But if you're one of those people who use your ears and listen to speakers, and appreciate the effort that designers like me put into listening during development, then you'll probably be like most people who come into my room at the audio shows and are really blown away by how great the Volti Audio speakers sound.

A company like Volti Audio doesn't last in this business if they are not making great sounding speakers that people love. I'm proud of my ten years of success in the audio business, and I plan to continue what I'm doing for many more years. I'm going to do it MY way, which is the only way I can. It's how I steer my passion into my art.

So you'll probably see a lot more bad measuring Volti Audio speakers in the future that my customers, audio reviewers, and audio show listeners absolutely love. And I'm sure you 'measurement first' guys will continue to be baffled by how it can be this way.

I'm smiling a big smile as I write this.

Trust your ears and Have Fun!

Greg Roberts

Volti Audio”

RonN5

« Reply #173 on: 17 Jul 2020, 09:19 pm »
I had a chance to listen to the Volti Rival's at the Florida Audio show and all I can say is what I heard is effortless, musical sound...balance, textured, nuanced and captivating in every way....if the Razz is even in the same ballpark, then its worth a listen...but as he said, if measurements are your thing then look elsewhere....I did see on their website they have a you bought it you own it policy.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #174 on: 17 Jul 2020, 09:35 pm »

NoDisco

« Reply #175 on: 17 Jul 2020, 09:40 pm »
What bugs me the most about the Volti Razz review was apparently they had to set these up in a near field setup if I read Correctly. What is the point of having big speakers with a sweet spot? I think this carried over into the measurements too. I am sure some would be happy with this, but I was a bit disappointed. I d still give them a listen if I had the chance, but I’d never buy them unheard. I did that with my Omegas and I feel quite lucky, but even they took some tweaking, and they are a much smaller investment, and easier to sell if I get the urge.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #176 on: 17 Jul 2020, 11:14 pm »
I had a chance to listen to the Volti Rival's at the Florida Audio show and all I can say is what I heard is effortless, musical sound...balance, textured, nuanced and captivating in every way....if the Razz is even in the same ballpark, then its worth a listen...but as he said, if measurements are your thing then look elsewhere....I did see on their website they have a you bought it you own it policy.
As a manufacturer, I can’t imagine having an “all sales final” policy.  That’s no way to treat a customer.

NoDisco

« Reply #177 on: 17 Jul 2020, 11:57 pm »
This guys demeanor is a little out of the ordinary to say the least.

WGH

« Reply #178 on: 18 Jul 2020, 12:29 am »
As a manufacturer, I can’t imagine having an “all sales final” policy.  That’s no way to treat a customer.

I can understand if all Volti speakers are custom made and slightly different, plus since there not very many places to audition customers will take advantage. Custom woodworking takes a tremendous amount of time and then if you have to refund the purchase price (i.e. work 3 weeks for free), maybe eat some shipping cost and repair damage, it's a quick way for a basically 1 man operation to go out of business.

"Volti Audio is a small company. I do all the design, nearly all the manufacturing, nearly all the marketing, and all the sales.  I build 10’s of speakers a year, not hundreds or thousands."
http://voltiaudio.com/volti-audio/

I made custom doors for 39 years and shipped all over the US, they were all non-returnable. Terms were 50% down and balance on completion. The deposit was non-refundable when the job started. If the customer bailed before completion I could sell the door at a discount and not loose too much.

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #179 on: 18 Jul 2020, 12:34 am »
If appears we have gone off the rails a bit price wise! Were supposed to be in the  $3000.00 range. And a you bought it you own it makes me laugh kind of attitude wow, never have i heard that one in all my audio years.

The Tekton line still gets my vote in my room on this survey of sorts.