error: radio tuning service itunes

jackiejr

error: radio tuning service itunes
« on: 6 Apr 2014, 08:17 pm »
''An error occurred while contacting the radio tuning service, try later'' message appears in itunes and I can't find a fix.
Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.  jackie

srb

Re: error: radio tuning service itunes
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2014, 08:30 pm »
If you're getting the message with preset radio stations from the iTunes Radio folder, are you able to connect to a radio stream by directly entering the URL from File > Open Stream ?

For example you could copy

http://stream.srg-ssr.ch/m/rsj/mp3_128

and paste into the URL field.

Steve

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2014, 02:54 pm »
Does it happen on all, or just some particular station?

jackiejr

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2014, 02:59 am »
When I select any of the headings, i.e. jazz, classical etc., the window appears. I can't  access the stations at all.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2014, 04:19 am »
And when you try to directly enter a URL?

If you're getting the message with preset radio stations from the iTunes Radio folder, are you able to connect to a radio stream by directly entering the URL from File > Open Stream ?

For example you could copy

http://stream.srg-ssr.ch/m/rsj/mp3_128

and paste into the URL field.

Steve

jackiejr

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2014, 09:01 pm »
Hi srb,

I did as you suggested and Swiss Jazz played just fine. Of course I still have the problem.

jackie

srb

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2014, 09:10 pm »
That indicates that there isn't an Internet, Firewall or Port problem and at the very least you could continue to enjoy Internet Radio by manually entering the URLs of a handful of favorite stations while still pursuing a fix.  If the entered URL plays, you can add it to a Playlist by right-clicking (or Ctrl + click) in the display window and choose Add to Playlist.

Do you have the latest version of iTunes?  The latest version is 11.1.5.x for both OSX 10.6 or later and Windows XP or later.  This problem has come up now and then over several years across multiple versions and sometimes a re-installation or a version update, if needed, fixes the problem.  You can also try and clear warnings from Edit > Preferences > Advanced tab > Reset Warnings.

Steve

jackiejr

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2014, 09:19 pm »
Thanks Steve, you've been a big help. I am running 10.5.8 so I'll try a version update.
I did think of that but not sure I have the room. Is that generally a factor?

jackie

srb

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2014, 09:35 pm »
The program size of the newer version is probably larger than the older one, but shouldn't be a problem unless you're almost out of free space.  I assume you probably have some number of gigabytes free?  Apple says the hard drive space requirements for iTunes 11 on Mac is 400MB, but that might include extra temporary file space needed during installation.  The program folder size on my Windows installation is ~ 200MB.

Just for the heck of it check your hard drive free space before and after installation just to see how much more bloated the new version is (!).

Hopefully an update will restore iTunes built-in Radio Station list functionality.

Steve

jackiejr

« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2014, 12:39 am »
Today, all of a sudden, iTunes radio is working fine. When I select a certain
genre all the options appear as they should.

I see others have had the problem. I suppose Apple addressed the problem.

Thanks .  jj