Does this count Wide Bandwith ??? Extended Driver....???

jparkhur

« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2012, 02:58 pm by jparkhur »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Does this count
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2012, 02:31 am »
Yes.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2012, 12:02 pm »
No.  (Admitted purist)

Modded after jparkhur 2nd post:

Lose the woofers and either accept the  F3 = 40 Hz from the Dayton driver in O.B. or design a cabinet for it.

As I wrote in the other thread, the woofers should be spread around the room to eliminate standing waves.  (When will we stop building phalic symbols with all the bass units bunched together?)   :oops: :nono: :duh: :scratch: :roll:

jparkhur

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2012, 12:11 pm »
Why not. By definition it covers At least seven octaves by the Dayton alone?   F3 of 40 is fairly good. 

Jon

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2012, 12:24 pm »
The sub forum title is "Single Driver, Wide-Bandwidth Speakers" so technically no  :wink:

As a loudspeaker they will probably sound great but I don't think they can be called single driver when they are not a single driver loudspeaker.  :scratch:

JLM

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2012, 01:35 pm »
Why not. By definition it covers At least seven octaves by the Dayton alone?   F3 of 40 is fairly good. 

Jon

Yes, F3 = 40 Hz (9 octaves) is very good, and help is allowed by our rules (for bass or treble), but three woofers?  Why not just offer a swarm of powered subs (and do in room bass right)?

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2012, 01:37 pm »
Yes, F3 = 40 Hz (9 octaves) is very good, and help is allowed by our rules (for bass or treble), but three woofers?  Why not just offer a swarm of powered subs (and do in room bass right)?

Fair enough then :)

Having all the woofers in that enclosure sure makes it convenient and more appealing to most people I guess.

jparkhur

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2012, 01:40 pm »

Form factor and smaller foot print.  I get it.  Multiples around the room maybe better in many instances, but cost, form and actual ability of the masses to accumulate these would come in to play.  If it were just a Monolith with a flat bottom area and no subs, it would be great, the low end just adds to the flavor.... JP

JLM

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2012, 02:49 pm »
Jon,

Form or foot print are not the issues.

Keeping all the bass production at one end of the room is like taking both hands in a shallow bathtub of water to push together the water back and forth (making waves).  At some location(s) there will be constructive (in phase) doubling of the waves and in other(s) there will be destructive (out of phase) neutralization of the waves.  In room, sound pressures can vary +/- 20 dB from this effect.  Room treatments and/or EQ can't eliminate this. 

A properly dispersed set of multiple subs (4 is ideal) is the best solution.  At a minimum 2 subs at opposite ends of the room (rear one out of phase) is much better than side-by-side.  Check out the bass place threads here at AC and Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" for more info.

The ideal 2-channel speaker system would have 6 speakers (left/right for mid/high frequencies) and 4 properly spread around the room for bass.  (Some suggest the ideal stereo speaker system would have 10 speakers, but that's another topic).

jparkhur

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2012, 02:56 pm »

A properly dispersed set of multiple subs (4 is ideal) is the best solution.  At a minimum 2 subs at opposite ends of the room (rear one out of phase) is much better than side-by-side.  Check out the bass place threads here at AC and Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" for more info.
[/quote]

Yes, I agree.  But how many of us have a spouse, boyfriend, girl friend that will put up with a room with four subs in the corners and messing up the room.  If you have one, please borrow them to me.  Most of us don't have a room with the ability to have only our audio gear there.  I thought I did and had to give it up to the 3 little boys and Monsters Inc.  In a perfect world, this would be ideal.. even more if possible.. I don't live there, nor do I have an understanding partner, and those darn rug rats steal my space...   I need more room too.  Before the entire kid thing, I too had a room to myself, with four ACI Titans strategically place.  It was good.  Now life intervenes and you go with what YOU as an individual can get for the best case scenario, what you like and what your life affords you.  I am really looking forward to the computer controls on this and  the ability to match your choice of top drivers to whatever you want.   Im off to vote.  Have a great day guys...

JLM

Re: Does this count Wide Bandwith ??? Extended Driver....???
« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2012, 11:59 pm »
Jon,

While 4 subs is ideal, 2 can work quite well (but not in-phase side-by-side, just the opposite).

Yes I'm well aware of the domestic/financial limitations, but OTOH there are numbskulls out there who spend way out of proportion to the quality of space available to them.  Harsh, yes but c'mon man, why are you dumping $$$,$$$ on a system that will go into a far less than perfect room that you can't crank it up in (due to adjoining neighbors) and can't use 90% of the time (shared with family)?  Fortunately I have a 13 ft x 22 ft x 8 ft audio mancave that is acoustically isolated and remote from all family bedrooms.  As it was planned for when we built, it actually was basically a no cost feature.

For the rest the forbidden term (lifestyle) must be addressed.  Those who build huge phallic towers that can't function resting against a wall will be doomed to poor sales figures.  Currently I'm intrigued by Amphion, who specializes in small high quality 2-ways that reportedly are quite location flexible (in part due to their constant directivity design I'm sure).  Combining that concept with customizable end table looking subs might be a smarter approach.

ejfud

Re: Does this count Wide Bandwith ??? Extended Driver....???
« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2012, 01:43 am »
Interesting design for sure and works for me in this forum. I would love to hear it. The digital crossover sounds.......well complex.

DaveC your amp and pre are beautiful. Nice work.