Interesting single driver speaker company.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Interesting single driver speaker company.
« Reply #20 on: 24 Oct 2012, 06:08 pm »
I have never heard a single driver system I have been really enthusiastic about. They all sounded colored and lacking in dynamics to me. Maybe this is why. Curious to hear some Omegas sometime though.

That's because, just like multi-way speakers, 90% of them suck...

IMO, Feastrex and Omega are the best out there. Feastrex drivers can sound amazing on simple music but not so much on "thicker" music... on some stuff they are head and shoulder above any other speaker I've ever heard. Omegas are more versatile than Feastrex, and 80% as good as Feastrex on "simple" music and much better on more complex stuff. The Voxativ at $32k was ok, but not any better than Omega Super 3 XRS at $1300.

Various Fostex designs I've heard from cain and cain and others have all ranged from ok to good, but not great. I haven't heard the Fostex 200A Alnico drivers though, which are supposed to be really nice.

JoSound, good luck with your project, IMO... if you can blend the single driver sound with more mid bass dynamics and low end extension you will have a winner. Small cone single drivers are great up to moderate SPLs, but really can't do justice to music that's best played at higher volumes.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #21 on: 24 Oct 2012, 06:09 pm »
The species used by us is commonly called 'moso' (or its botanical name: Phyllostachys Pubescens) you can get the data sheet here: http://www.mosobamboosurfaces.co.uk/userfiles/File/pdf/20120918144828_SOLID_PANEL_DATASHEET.pdf

You are right it is tough to work with, but if you consider the ecological benefits of using bamboo over wood, IMHO it is worth paying the extra price. It is very important to select the correct lamination style and wall thickness, as, if done correctly, you can create a totally inert cabinet.

Thanx. I agree totally with you wrt the eco aspects. 

What we use is an 18mm variation like the diagram on the bottom left with either a vertical oriented block construction as the outer layers or a stranded construction on the outer layers. The latter is stiffer and creates a much less easier to mar box. It is also even more expensive.

dave

JoSound

• Industry Participant
  • Music lover
    • JoSound
« Reply #22 on: 24 Oct 2012, 09:01 pm »
Hi db Cooper, DaveC113, planet10, wisnon,

db Cooper, I believe that the proof of the pudding is in the eating thereof ... We are currently looking t the possibility of doing a show Stateside in possibly late 2013 or 2014 and I would love to have you listen to my product and bring whatever music you have we are happy to play anything that guests bring ... no canned demos at JoSound. When the plans are finalised I will send you a personal invitation. I am very open to criticism of my product, as I believe that is the only way to improve.

DaveC113, I agree with much of what you say but am surprised by your comment on the Voxativs. Can you remember which model you heard and the electronics that were driving them ? I use the Voxativ drivers in my top-end product and actually prefer them to the Feastrex, which I like very much except forthe bass extension. I will not make any comments on the Omegas as I have never had the opportunity to listen to them.

planet10, we refer to the stranded composite, because in effect that is what it is, as density as it has a higher density than the other types ... I try not to use the density in-order to save my back ... the model pictured on my avatar already weighs 95 Kg (210 lb)  :D

Thanks to all of you for your supportive words and I hope to, one day, be able to meet all of you in person.  :D

Best regards,

Joe

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 24 Oct 2012, 10:11 pm »

DaveC113, I agree with much of what you say but am surprised by your comment on the Voxativs. Can you remember which model you heard and the electronics that were driving them ? I use the Voxativ drivers in my top-end product and actually prefer them to the Feastrex, which I like very much except forthe bass extension. I will not make any comments on the Omegas as I have never had the opportunity to listen to them.

Best regards,

Joe

Don't get me wrong... I am not criticizing the Voxativ speakers, I thought they were very good and certainly comparable to the Feastrex speakers, even preferable to the Feastrex depending on what music happens to be playing. I did get to listen to my own test tracks on both Feastrex and Voxativ systems at RMAF, and the Vox speakers were definitely better on larger scale music and pretty close on simpler music... but as I said the Feastrex speakers have a realism to them on certain material I have never experienced with any other speaker, ever. I would love to own a pair of Feastrex speakers, but as a secondary pair to break out from time to time with certain music. I think the Vox would be easier to live with for all the different kinds of music I listen to. However... the Omegas are on the level of these two, and closer to the character of the Vox than the Feastrex. And this is referring to the new Omega RS5 4.5" drivers that just came out, the 6.5" Alnico are probably better, but its been a few years since I got to hear them, and then on an amplifier I don't like. So IMO the Vox just aren't a good value, for $32k + $18k for the amp there are A LOT of choices out there, and I've heard many $50k systems I would prefer to own... there's just no getting around the fact the speakers by themselves just can't move enough air to have enough mid bass impact and overall SPLs are also limited. For $32k I'd like to have it all...  :green:

The RMAF system...

JoSound

• Industry Participant
  • Music lover
    • JoSound
« Reply #24 on: 25 Oct 2012, 10:53 am »
Hi DaveC113,

Thanks for the pics  :D

The subjective element of this business is always intriguing to me ... but very important to accept as a manufacturer.

I think I'll try and get hold of some Omegas to play with ...

Thanks for the tip.  :thumb:

Best regards,

Joe

wisnon

« Reply #25 on: 5 Feb 2013, 09:15 pm »
The French are on the ball...They have tested this in the Feb. Issue of Haute Fidelity magazine and are stunned..."franchement bluffant"! (Frankly stunning)
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2013, 12:00 am by wisnon »