Something special about fullrange driver !

Guy 13

Re: Something special about fullrange driver !
« Reply #20 on: 12 Oct 2012, 09:01 am »
Higher sens. is not always better, it's possible to have too much of a good thing!-
Unless the rest of the chain is up to the task, hum/noise issues can be a real problem.
Best
Don

Hi doorman and all Audio Circle members.

I agree with you.

My two amplifiers (Decware SET and Nightshade Audio SE Pentode)
are dead quiet.

At maximum output with my hear against the 95db efficient speaker cone
and I can't hear a thing, no hum, no hiss.

Guy 13

Guy 13

Re: Something special about fullrange driver !
« Reply #21 on: 12 Oct 2012, 09:10 am »
Yes, system noise/hum is a real challenge to high efficiency systems.  I'm a speaker guy, so that's what I system build around and for me 93 dB/w/m is the ideal balance between providing dynamics, limiting noise/hum, and and minimizing coloration (every high efficiency driver I've looked at have colorations).  Those colorations vary from horn honk (not an inherent horn problem, but normally just pushing the compression effect too hard), loss of constant directivity (beaming) and don't get me started on whizzer cones, to simply giving up bass.  Unfortunately many extended range drivers say "full-range" but they give up 2 or more octaves of bass and/or an octave of treble.

But for all their shortcomings, extended range drivers excell at small ensembles (simple lower volume sound) and the coherency they can provide.

For your budget, I'd be tempted to try the new Omega 3T (start at $500/pair USD) just based on Louis' great workmanship, hard work, integrity, and having heard his stuff 2 product generations ago.  Smaller driver - less beaming, 93 dB/w/m, and leaves you enough to buy a nice powered subwoofer (Epik Legend with dual 12 inch opposing sealed woofers, $500/pair) would be my choice.  BTW Louis has a Canadian fanboy who developed his current website (Canada is a big place, but maybe he's close by and would offer a listen).

Hi JML and all Audio Circle members.

Thanks for your comments, I do agree with them.
I am not back yet to my home country Canada
and the way things goes,
it might not be for a while.
On the other hand,
this gives me more time to gather information
and make a wise(r) choice on my future system.

Guy 13