MiniDSP and fullrange drivers

strider

« on: 9 Apr 2012, 04:01 pm »
The MiniDSP makes it fun, doesn't it? I have a similar set up to yours, pair of Fonkens with Fostex 127e in them up top, supported by a pair of 7" drivers per side in a push/push configuration. So much easier to change the XO points/slope by computer and listen rather then changing resistor values etc.

chrisby

« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2012, 04:56 pm »
if it sounds right when tuned by ear,  maybe that's as "optimal" as it needs to get?   :thumb:

open question to minidsp users - what would be considered a minimal configuration for FR + helper ( or "FAST" as it's sometimes called)

would need to be outboard as computers would be some flavor or other of Apple - iMac, headless MacMini or MBP 

strider

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2012, 06:01 pm »
I'm a PC, but the MiniDSP site says it's compatible with MacOSX. Assuming it's all the same after that, you just need something with a USB port and a screen. Shake hands with the DSP board, brings up your control panel, can set XO points/slopes/phase/EQ etc etc from there. Once your good with your settings, save the data and you can unhook the USB until your readty to change something again.

chrisby

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2012, 08:01 pm »
I'm a PC, but the MiniDSP site says it's compatible with MacOSX. Assuming it's all the same after that, you just need something with a USB port and a screen. Shake hands with the DSP board, brings up your control panel, can set XO points/slopes/phase/EQ etc etc from there. Once your good with your settings, save the data and you can unhook the USB until your readty to change something again.

I should probably research a little deeper (just lazy I guess), but my understanding is that the USB is not used to stream data, but for power and control only,  so a standalone "minidsp in a box"  would need some type of power supply and data connection - i.e. at least 2 cables - not of itself and issue. 

From my few experiments, the analog audio out on any of the Mac devices is, ahem, not their strong suit, while the digital audio options are Toslink (mini on the MBP), USB, Firewire, or most recently, Thunderbolt.

strider

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2012, 09:10 pm »

I should probably research a little deeper (just lazy I guess), but my understanding is that the USB is not used to stream data, but for power and control only,  so a standalone "minidsp in a box"  would need some type of power supply and data connection - i.e. at least 2 cables - not of itself and issue. 

From my few experiments, the analog audio out on any of the Mac devices is, ahem, not their strong suit, while the digital audio options are Toslink (mini on the MBP), USB, Firewire, or most recently, Thunderbolt.

Yes, it does need a  power source. Can either power via USB or, as I have done, used a wallwart from a retired piece of equipment. I only hook up a USB to change settings on the XO.

sts9fan

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2012, 09:29 pm »
It can be powered through the USB or with a 12v source. If not powering through the USB it is really only used to flash the firmware.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2012, 05:38 am »
open question to minidsp users - what would be considered a minimal configuration for FR + helper ( or "FAST" as it's sometimes called)

The minimal configuration is a single 2x4 (in a box) which has analog in and out. You use USB to program the settings only. For how-to-use, this may help:

http://www.hifizine.com/2010/09/subwoofer-equalization-and-integration-with-the-minidsp-2x4/

You can add a digital interface for TOSLINK input form the Mac. You can optionally add a little class D amplifier board. I've described this setup here:

http://www.hifizine.com/2011/09/digital-direct-minidsp-stack/

The first diagram may help clarify the options. With digital input, your best option for volume control is in the player on the Mac.

In all cases, you need to make sure that you have a good "gain structure" - if your line level signals are > 0.9V you'll have issues.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2012, 01:08 pm by JohnR »

sts9fan

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2012, 12:16 pm »
John,
I don't mind chatting about the MiniDSP a bit.
In all cases, you need to make sure that you have a good "gain structure" - if your line level signals are > 0.9V you'll have issues.
Do you mean digital input?  The RevB is said to work with 2V. I had a miniDSP previously and it was noisy. I thought it might have been gain issues but am not certain now. This new one sounds fine with the same pre.

JohnR

Re: MiniDSP and fullrange drivers
« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2012, 01:09 pm »
yes, the output voltage is 0.9V max. If your amp needs more than that to be driven to full power, then it won't be. Not necessarily an issue, just something to be aware of. I've taken 10 dB gain off my system and am about to take off another 10.

strider

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2012, 03:02 pm »
The minimal configuration is a single 2x4 (in a box) which has analog in and out. You use USB to program the settings only. For how-to-use, this may help:

http://www.hifizine.com/2010/09/subwoofer-equalization-and-integration-with-the-minidsp-2x4/

Great tutorial, thanks for taking the time to put it together. I have it saved on the desktop of my laptop that I use to adjust the crossover.

Gothover

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2012, 02:39 pm »
I love the Mini DSP, could not be happier with the performance.

Dave

drongo

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2012, 06:54 am »
I recently resurrected my FT1600s (the Bob Brines fostex 167e design) and pulled out the filters and put in my new minidsp. Made some very simple eq adjustments and was pleased to find how good they sounded. When I tire of these I will try the minidsp with my DX3s. I think this little box is a no brainer for those find making filters and crossovers by hand a challenge.

jonnoshore

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2012, 09:06 am »
How does the miniDSP vompare to a standard 2496... I've read some stuff about input sensitivity on the 2496 and it causing issues.

Just wondered if anyone had compared the two.  I bought a S/H 2496 to have a play with open baffle...

My main system is an active Naim system with SBL speakers driven by NAP250's. Will I be disappointed with the 2496 or DSP or pleasantly surprised...