John's straight black V3's

jsalk

John's straight black V3's
« on: 4 Mar 2007, 05:31 pm »
John wanted a pair of 3-way speakers and wasn't at all concerned about the finish.  He just wanted great performance at a reasonable price.

After a great deal of discussion, we agreed that in his case, the V3's in basic black were the ticket.

Here are John's V3's...

After John received his speakers, he called to say there was a problem.  There was some significant distortion in the bass region in louder passages of the classical music he like to listen to.  Of course, we heard no distortion prior to shipping.

So I first suspected shipping damage to the crossovers.  But after checking it out, John reported that the distortion was in both speakers.  This had me quite concerned.

After a great deal of long-distance trouble-shooting, John hooked up an old amp he had laying around.  No distortion whatsoever.  The problem was in his amp.

Once he got that sorted out, John told me the speakers sounded absolutely wonderful and he was thoroughly enjoying the music. 

A new amp from Frank VanAlstine is in production and as soon as it arrives, John should be in heaven.

Happy listening, John!

- Jim

BrianM

Re: John's straight black V3's
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2007, 06:47 pm »
But "basic black" is too perjorative.

These look really classy.

brj

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2007, 06:50 pm »
Very clean looking... nice!

Jim, you need to start using some higher res pictures...

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2007, 06:59 pm »
brj -

Very clean looking... nice!

Jim, you need to start using some higher res pictures...

Well, they do start off high rez, but I take them down a notch so they don't take up so much room on the page.  I can certainly reduce them less if you would like.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2007, 07:05 pm »
BrianM

But "basic black" is too perjorative.

These look really classy.

Actually, they aren't exactly "basic black."  I just can't seem to leave well-enough alone.  Rather than straight black, we used a black pearl automotive finish on these.

- Jim

AB

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2007, 07:08 pm »
Did you bring V3s to RMAF ? I don't remember seeing them if you did.

They look like they're great.

BrianM

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2007, 07:16 pm »
Actually, they aren't exactly "basic black."  I just can't seem to leave well-enough alone.  Rather than straight black, we used a black pearl automotive finish on these.
- Jim

Well in that case they're "obsidian," "onyx" or (hat tip Audi) "Phantom Black Pearl Effect."

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2007, 07:26 pm »
Did you bring V3s to RMAF ? I don't remember seeing them if you did.

They look like they're great.

No, we did not.  The V3's are a new design and they didn't exist at the time.

In fact, this pair was the very first "production" pair.  I'll post the second production pair shortly.

- Jim

BradJudy

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2007, 08:46 pm »
Will you be bringing a pair of V3's to the next RMAF?  Perhaps V3's running off Frank's new integrated amp and HT3's running off his pre-amp/amp combo like last year?

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2007, 10:17 pm »
BradJudy -

Will you be bringing a pair of V3's to the next RMAF?  Perhaps V3's running off Frank's new integrated amp and HT3's running off his pre-amp/amp combo like last year?

Too early to tell what we'll be bringing.  I was thinking about simplifying a little.  When I saw pics of last year's room, it looked cluttered compared to some others.  And we didn't end up playing some of the speakers at all.  Besides we may have other new models by then.

But you can be sure I will want to bring a couple pairs of something.

- Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2007, 10:24 pm »
BradJudy -

Too early to tell what we'll be bringing.  I was thinking about simplifying a little.  When I saw pics of last year's room, it looked cluttered compared to some others.  And we didn't end up playing some of the speakers at all.  Besides we may have other new models by then.

But you can be sure I will want to bring a couple pairs of something.

- Jim

Jim,

I think simplifying is a good idea.

Bring one or two pairs of speakers and optimimze the room for them. 

The past two years you had too much gear in the room and I think it is one of the main reasons why your rooms haven't sounded anywhere near as good as I know they can.

George

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2007, 10:31 pm »
Jim,

I think simplifying is a good idea.

Bring one or two pairs of speakers and optimimze the room for them. 

The past two years you had too much gear in the room and I think it is one of the main reasons why your rooms haven't sounded anywhere near as good as I know they can.

George

I agree completely.  We have the AKFest show coming up at the end of the month.  I will be bringing a maximum of two pairs of speakers and a whole bunch of new acoustic panels we will be building in the next week or so.

The room should both look cleaner and sound better than we have been able to achieve to date (at least without DEQX).

- Jim

nicksgem10s

« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2007, 07:27 pm »
Hello Mr. Salk,

Could you let me know which models you will be showing at the AK fest.  I am planning on going with a couple of audio friends this year.  Your speakers are the main reason I want to attend.  I have read many interesting things about your designs and greatly look forward to hearing them in person.  Thanks

Nick

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2007, 08:24 pm »
Hello Mr. Salk,

Could you let me know which models you will be showing at the AK fest.  I am planning on going with a couple of audio friends this year.  Your speakers are the main reason I want to attend.  I have read many interesting things about your designs and greatly look forward to hearing them in person.  Thanks

Nick

Well, I am sure I will bring HT3's and most likely V3's.  This year I intend to bring bass traps and other room treatments as well.  So hopefully the sound in these very poor rooms will be better.

If there is something else you would like me to bring, just let me know and I'll see if it is possible.

- Jim

K_Roen

« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2007, 11:37 pm »
Beautifull :thumb:

I can see those pictured in my next music room, behind but not hidden by a Steinway Grand.  Well I can dream.  :roll:

Jim, as always another stunning creation.

Keith

K_Roen

« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2007, 11:42 pm »
I agree completely.  We have the AKFest show coming up at the end of the month.  I will be bringing a maximum of two pairs of speakers and a whole bunch of new acoustic panels we will be building in the next week or so.

Jim,  are you getting into the acoustic correction side too?   :drool: (too much to hope for)   

:green: I could use some custom panels cased by some nice matching rosewood frames. 

Keith

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: 12 Mar 2007, 11:59 pm »
Give me a shout - I do custom stuff like that all the time.

Bryan

nicksgem10s

« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2007, 03:54 am »

I am interested in both of those models and possibly the QW.  I will be more than happy to hear the HT3 as I have read the most about those and have been drooling  :drool: on them since the first pair I saw on AC.  I look forward to hearing your room.  See you soon.

Nick