New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?

jn316

Re: New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?
« Reply #220 on: 17 May 2014, 03:56 pm »
Thanks for the info.

I just couldn't remember the hold-up to the designs that were going to use this driver.  :duh:

dm

« Reply #221 on: 17 May 2014, 04:04 pm »
I had a guy that wanted to move forward with doing this as a business venture and offer their newest models with the built in servo subs. He even had a blessing from the owner of the Magnepan. But it just hasn't happened yet.

I may push forward with the project myself if I have some interested Maggie owners that would like to give it a shot.

I am a Maggie 1.6 owner.  I have experimented with improved speaker level XO, minidsp based XO and PLLXO's (my current favorite).  I would be happy to experiment with some of your new ideas for bass augmentation and subwoofers targeting the maggie market.

I have been considering the rythmik/GR OB dipole subwoofer.  How are these new systems going to be different?

Danny Richie

« Reply #222 on: 17 May 2014, 04:33 pm »
I am a Maggie 1.6 owner.  I have experimented with improved speaker level XO, minidsp based XO and PLLXO's (my current favorite).  I would be happy to experiment with some of your new ideas for bass augmentation and subwoofers targeting the maggie market.

I have been considering the rythmik/GR OB dipole subwoofer.  How are these new systems going to be different?

I need to get with someone willing to build new frames for the Maggies. A solid frame is a big deal and a weak point for the Maggies. A new frame system that incorporates a pair of our servo controlled open baffle woofers below the speaker would be way to extend the bottom end and stabilize the speaker.

Two of our 8's fit nicely under their latest small model. And two of our 12's fit nicely under their new larger model.

Somebody could make a good living just upgrading those speakers.

If you are interested and capable then we should talk.

bdp24

« Reply #223 on: 17 May 2014, 06:35 pm »
There are Maggie owners already using GR/Rythmik OB subs. You don't HAVE to put them under the panels, they can sit next to them just as well. If you put an H or W frame under your 1.6's, the panels might be a little too high in relation to the height of your ears. A vertical H-Frame with 12" woofers will put the bottom of a 1.6 panel at least 27.25" off the ground. Then there is the matter of keeping the energy from the H-Frame out of the panels, made all the more difficult if they are physically attached to each other.

Danny Richie

« Reply #224 on: 17 May 2014, 06:56 pm »
There are Maggie owners already using GR/Rythmik OB subs. You don't HAVE to put them under the panels, they can sit next to them just as well. If you put an H or W frame under your 1.6's, the panels might be a little too high in relation to the height of your ears. A vertical H-Frame with 12" woofers will put the bottom of a 1.6 panel at least 27.25" off the ground. Then there is the matter of keeping the energy from the H-Frame out of the panels, made all the more difficult if they are physically attached to each other.

Yes, our customers are already using H frames and setting them next to the Maggies.

The playing surface of the Maggies is typically 10" or more off of the floor anyway. So it will have little effect on the height of the playing element if done right.

bdp24

« Reply #225 on: 17 May 2014, 07:51 pm »
The 10" height of the bottom of the Maggie Mylar added to the height of the H-Frame just about insures the panels will be too high for a seated listener.

Danny Richie

« Reply #226 on: 17 May 2014, 08:02 pm »
The 10" height of the bottom of the Maggie Mylar added to the height of the H-Frame just about insures the panels will be too high for a seated listener.

Oh no. Just replace the dead space below the playing surface of the Maggies with the servo subs. You may only lift the overall height a few inches. No big deal.

bdp24

« Reply #227 on: 18 May 2014, 01:18 am »
Oh, I get it. I forgot you were talking about taking the Maggie guts out of their MDF frames and putting them and Servo woofers into better frames.