N2X model on demo tour...

stevecuss

Re: N2X model on demo tour...
« Reply #40 on: 16 Sep 2009, 02:37 pm »
Hi Folks,

I'll have the Neos at UPS on Friday to send out to J.P in California.  (is that you, Ichill?)  My Rotel amp lost a channel through some stupidity on my part, but fortunately, when I opened it up, I saw that it had just blown a couple of fuses, so I'm back up and running with the Neos for the next couple of days.  You guys are really going to enjoy them!

Steve

ichillpill

« Reply #41 on: 16 Sep 2009, 04:27 pm »
Yup that's me Steve. I can't wait to give them a listen!

stevecuss

« Reply #42 on: 18 Sep 2009, 09:30 pm »
They're on their way to you - fedex to your home, sig required.  Fedex tells me they should arrive by wednesday.  Danny has the tracking number - I'll PM it to you.

sc

Jason Brent

« Reply #43 on: 20 Sep 2009, 12:42 am »
I'd love to listen to these.  Please add me on the list whenever they start to make their way through the midwest.  I'm in Tulsa

ichillpill

« Reply #44 on: 23 Sep 2009, 01:57 am »
Just got the N2x's today and enjoying them as I type this. They are solidly built and didn't expect them to weigh as much as they do (I have never owned nice monitors). I'm just running them thru a receiver crossed at 80hz to a sub. Since I always listen to music with the sub I kept the same configuration. Please forgive since I am not familiar with many audio terms so I'll try my best in describing the sound of the Neo's compared to my first gen GR AV3's (the ones with 6" woofers).

Dave Matthews Band - Crash - The different types of guitar used have much more authority/definition when struck. The treble is just right and doesn't have a ring to it. The note is played and it stops. When a bunch of instruments are playing simultaneously, I can stop and pinpoint the note made by the specific instrument, whereas with the AV3, you'll hear the louder instruments but the nuances of the instruments are not as apparent. Dave's voice is dead center and he seems to have more authority. His voice is relaxed and solid . I guess what I'm trying to say is that the highs are more detailed and the midrange is present a bit more than the AV3.

Yo Yo Ma - Brazil - This CD showcases what the Neo's can do! From the get go, I can tell when the cello strings are being vibrated by Yo Yo Ma! How cool is that. I forgot what the musical term was for that? Vibratto? Track 4 - I had fun on this one. If anybody has heard this track, listen closely to the clarinet...there are times when it has too much saliva inside. Hehe I just noticed that with the Neo2x. I played first chair clarinet back in high school.

After these two CD's I think the AV3's are a bit laid back/relaxed and the sound is coming from a plane behind the speakers. The Neo's are not as laid back and the sound is coming from the speakers' plane. Where the AV3's are a bit timid the Neo2x's are stalwart.

I'll post some follow ups by the end of the week...Thanks Danny

iskandam

« Reply #45 on: 23 Sep 2009, 06:12 am »
I think I'm next and I actually live within driving distance from you, ichilpill

ichillpill

« Reply #46 on: 23 Sep 2009, 04:59 pm »
How long do I get to keep the speakers Danny? Hopefully until past this weekend. I invited my brother over this weekend so he can listen to the Neo's.

iskandam - I can drop them off to you. How far are you from Van Nuys?

Danny Richie

« Reply #47 on: 23 Sep 2009, 06:34 pm »
You tell me how long you need them. There, that was easy.

iskandam

« Reply #48 on: 23 Sep 2009, 07:14 pm »
iskandam - I can drop them off to you. How far are you from Van Nuys?
If you don't mind the drive I live about 50-55 miles away from you

ichillpill

« Reply #49 on: 23 Sep 2009, 09:47 pm »
Ok thanks Danny!

Iskandam - I think I'll just fedex them to you late next week. I didn't think it'd be that far or that I'm too far from you hehe

iskandam

« Reply #50 on: 23 Sep 2009, 09:56 pm »
no problem, take your time enjoying them  :thumb:

dvenardos

« Reply #51 on: 24 Sep 2009, 06:19 pm »
Are these stock or do they have any of the upgrades?
Just curious.

Ron

« Reply #52 on: 26 Sep 2009, 11:45 pm »
 Seems to me that I read somewhere that they do have the mills/sonicap and No-Rez upgrade options. Also,either the Vampire or Cardas input terminals. Danny would be the best one to answer this question.

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 27 Sep 2009, 01:51 am »
Mills, Sonicaps, and Vampire posts.

Ron

« Reply #54 on: 27 Sep 2009, 02:15 am »
 Doesn't it have no-rez? If not what damping material was used?

ichillpill

« Reply #55 on: 27 Sep 2009, 05:30 am »
I listened to some favorite electronica songs and woah there are more nuances in the highs that can be discerned. Is this the nature of a ribbon tweeter? I also noticed that bad recordings are more obvious with the Neo2x and good recordings shine through. With good recordings, everything just sounds clearer and present. The midrange is not shy but not intrusive. Male voices are just right and like the AV3s female voices excel again. Bass is not that bad considering they are sealed. I tried them without a sub and didn't miss the bass that much except when listening to electronica. But with a sub... :)

I would say these speakers are clear, smooth, balanced, and satisfying to listen to.

Now I'm curious with the OB5/OB7 since it has the same tweeter? Can anyone chime in or PM me how an OB7 would sound compared to the Neo's?

teraflame

« Reply #56 on: 27 Sep 2009, 07:11 am »
Thanks for your impressions, there is a serious lack of them in this thread.

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 27 Sep 2009, 02:14 pm »
Doesn't it have no-rez?

Oh yeah, lined with No Rez.

Can anyone chime in or PM me how an OB7 would sound compared to the Neo's?

Just like them, but more transparent. Vocals are even more open and natural sounding. Bass response is cleaner and has lower distortion too.

jsamp05

« Reply #58 on: 29 Sep 2009, 11:48 pm »
Is there any chance of these making their way back to Colorado?  I would love to give them a listen.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #59 on: 30 Sep 2009, 12:01 am »

Can anyone chime in or PM me how an OB7 would sound compared to the Neo's?

Just like them, but more transparent. Vocals are even more open and natural sounding. Bass response is cleaner and has lower distortion too.

This was exactly the opinion of several of us at an Austin gathering last year where both the Neo2x and the OB-7's were present.  They have the same sound signature, with the OB-7's having a bit more clarity as the volume went up.  The Neo2x really surprised every one there by how close they came to the best of the reference speakers there.