Center channel for Super-V setup

pureiso

Center channel for Super-V setup
« on: 16 Aug 2012, 09:25 pm »
Hopefully I do not get attacked for thinking about throwing the Super-Vs into a home theater setup. :lol:

But I was thinking, if one were to do the Super-Vs as the mains, would there be a great design for a center channel (open baffle or cabinet) using the same drivers or just the Paudio coaxial?  I could see a ton of benefits from using the Paudio even by itself due to the point source nature and just from what seems to be an extremely excellent driver.  However, one would be losing the lower frequency response of the Super-Vs due to not having the dual subs, and I am unsure where Danny is crossing the V's over at.

Anyone have a take on this?  Would it be better to design a speaker using only the coaxial?

Danny Richie

Re: Center channel for Super-V setup
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2012, 01:01 am »
I already designed a network for the Super-V driver using a ported box design so that it can be used as a center channel speaker.

In a .7 cubic foot box it will hit a -3db of 88Hz.

In a 1 cubic foot box you can get the -3db to 78Hz.

You could front post it and place it pretty close to the rear wall to get back a little low end extension too.

And, I have one single driver left without a modified rear back cup just in case someone wanted a matching center. 

sfdoddsy

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2012, 05:00 am »
WOuld you need to do anything special to have it run as a dipole center?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2012, 02:04 pm »
WOuld you need to do anything special to have it run as a dipole center?

You have to have low frequencies drivers along with it just like the standard Super-V.

sfdoddsy

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2012, 05:09 am »
I was thinking bass management might handle that.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2012, 05:16 am »
I was thinking bass management might handle that.

You put that driver in an open baffle and it won't play much below 180Hz.