Top shelf mini-monitors

wushuliu

Re: Top shelf mini-monitors
« Reply #220 on: 6 Apr 2012, 10:09 pm »
I will get back to this and answer these questions as soon as I get a chance.

Looking forward to it.

LarryB

« Reply #221 on: 6 Apr 2012, 10:10 pm »
I apologize if I misunderstood.

Larry

Trismos

« Reply #222 on: 7 Apr 2012, 02:10 am »
How about a servo 8 with a NEO 8?

Danny Richie

« Reply #223 on: 7 Apr 2012, 07:41 pm »
Interesting thread. For instance I came across an old(?) post where Danny compared his N2X favorably with the Usher Be-718, with some advantages even. I can't help but think that the N2X drivers - as good as they may be and as tricked out as the crossover may be - are nowhere near as good as the 'world class' Usher woofer and tweeter. And yes I am going off the measurement work done by different folks at places like TechTalk, etc. but since Danny designed both I think it would real interesting to understand what facets make such seemingly incomparable designs comparable.

I ask partly because I just got the Usher 8948A and Usher 9950 to make a 2-way, and was surprised to come across Danny's comment re N2Xs! Maybe I made a mistake!

The woofers are fairly different but very comparable. The M-156X woofer has an XBL^ motor design that gives it an edge in the lower end. However to realize that edge that woofer needs to be in a optimal ported enclosure rather than the small sealed enclosure typically used to build the N2X model. The M-165X is a higher Q design that needs more air space, but that increased air space is what allows it to play down to a -3db that is below 40Hz. The Usher woofer just will not do that.

Another advantage that the M-165X woofer has is the polymer frame. This non-resonant design doesn't ring or transmit resonances to the front baffle like other frame types.

The Usher uses a little bigger voice coil that that does not make it sound better or worse than a smaller one. It's just a difference.

Both use a paper cone and have very similar sound to them in the mid-range. Bot are very good in that regard.

Both tweeters are very good, but my edge goes tot he Neo tweeter. It just has a more natural sound to it. It has great detail levels without being harsh. The spectral decay is pretty clean too. The Neo tweeter can also be crossed a little lower as well. The Usher tweeter has a great sound to it and nothing to complain about, but I'd say that it could be a little picker in regards to electronics. Anything up stream that is harsh or bright might come through that way a little more with the Usher tweeter.

Crossover parts used in those designs are about the same. Both use Sonicaps, Mills resistors, and Erse inductors. And both were voiced about the same by the guy that designed the crossovers (me  :green:).

The N2X does come with tube connectors though, while the BE-718 inserts some rather larger binding posts into the signal path. So the N2X has a big edge there.

Also keep in mind that all of the tricked out BE-718's have been sold. All of the newer ones have gone back to the cheaper Chinese made crossovers and the performance is way off from the version that won all of the awards.

I think I have had two others do A/B's with both speakers and they also confirmed them to be pretty close. I think one guy wasn't interested in getting rid of his Usher's to build a pair as it was too much of a lateral move. But the other guy did mention that if he had known about the N2X before buying the Ushers then he wouldn't have bought the Ushers. He would have built an N2X kit.

Keep in mind too, that some people are just not going to build a kit, regardless, and some people are just not going to pay retail for a pair of speakers, regardless. So each of them fill a different niche.

wushuliu

« Reply #224 on: 8 Apr 2012, 12:01 am »
interesting. thanks for taking some time out to answer...

saeyedoc

« Reply #225 on: 6 May 2012, 03:40 pm »
Interesting thread. I'm not a DIY'er or speaker designer, but have been doing research on $3-5 monitors to purchase.
Early on in this thread, part of the definition was that this monitor is a 2-way. Why not a 3-way? if cost is no object, wouldn't a well implemented 3-way allow the chosen drivers to operate with more conservative specs?
At a similar price point, assuming good crossover design, is it better to spend the money on 3 good drivers in a good PDF cabinet (like the Selah Tempesta or Salk Soundscape M7) or on 2 good drivers in a well thought out custom stacked ply cabinet (like the Cirrus).
What are the issues on  3 vs 2 way in a cost no-object speaker?

pureiso

« Reply #226 on: 7 May 2012, 02:19 pm »
Interesting thread. I'm not a DIY'er or speaker designer, but have been doing research on $3-5 monitors to purchase.
Early on in this thread, part of the definition was that this monitor is a 2-way. Why not a 3-way? if cost is no object, wouldn't a well implemented 3-way allow the chosen drivers to operate with more conservative specs?
At a similar price point, assuming good crossover design, is it better to spend the money on 3 good drivers in a good PDF cabinet (like the Selah Tempesta or Salk Soundscape M7) or on 2 good drivers in a well thought out custom stacked ply cabinet (like the Cirrus).
What are the issues on  3 vs 2 way in a cost no-object speaker?

A three-way mini monitor would not be so mini.  :lol:  I believe Danny can chime in, but that is why this thread is only talking about two-way design.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #227 on: 7 May 2012, 04:00 pm »
A three-way mini monitor would not be so mini.
They can be. :wink:

The woofers are fairly different but very comparable. The M-156X woofer has an XBL^ motor design that gives it an edge in the lower end. However to realize that edge that woofer needs to be in a optimal ported enclosure rather than the small sealed enclosure typically used to build the N2X model. The M-165X is a higher Q design that needs more air space, but that increased air space is what allows it to play down to a -3db that is below 40Hz. The Usher woofer just will not do that.

What is the driver you had at the show with the copper phase plug/dust cap?

Danny Richie

« Reply #228 on: 7 May 2012, 04:35 pm »
They can be. :wink:

What is the driver you had at the show with the copper phase plug/dust cap?

See info on the new woofers here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97188.msg1050682#msg1050682

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #229 on: 7 May 2012, 05:06 pm »
Mine are 3 way and not real big...JBL- L830

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #230 on: 8 May 2012, 12:32 am »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #231 on: 8 May 2012, 02:33 am »
These are the ones I'd like to own for 'true' mini monitors:

http://reference3a.com/dulcet.htm

Sloped baffles for time alignment of drivers, offset tweeters and sculpted edges to minimize diffraction.   

nickd

« Reply #232 on: 8 May 2012, 09:53 pm »
Those 3A's look nice for the office.

In anything bigger than a dorm room they might fall a little short of muscle. At 88db (which is usually optomistic) they will need some juice to get going. They only handle 80 watts RMS. With rock music and large scale classical, compression will show up at realistic listening levels.They might sound very good, but this post has been about pushing the envelope.

Personally, I need more than a 4" woofer even if its a good one. 4" mid woofers and a sub might be more realistic. But that's for another post. Since Danny and Brian have solved most sub issues, maybe it's time to go down that road???

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #233 on: 8 May 2012, 10:10 pm »
Danny are those new woofers swappable with the current N2X kits maybe using a bigger cabinet because of the different Q or whatever its called?? I really like the copper phase plug look, I like it moreso over white material like we see commonly but Black is cool..... :thumb:

A.J. can the new ones Danny is showing be put in your monitors?? I'd like to have that look or the look of yours AJ without the nose cone, I don't think I can look at more gawdy JBL silver ones any longer to be honest.....LOL...
 :wink:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #234 on: 8 May 2012, 10:55 pm »
A.J. can the new ones Danny is showing be put in your monitors??
Hi Ed,

No, not the copper phase plug ones at LSAF, which are 6.5" OB/high Q midbasses. My (M1) sub is an 8". His upcoming 8" servo would (and hopefully will) drop in, but appears to be development delayed. No ETA as far as I know.

cheers,

AJ

Trismos

« Reply #235 on: 8 May 2012, 11:52 pm »
His upcoming 8" servo would (and hopefully will) drop in, but appears to be development delayed. No ETA as far as I know.

cheers,

AJ

uuugh

Danny Richie

« Reply #236 on: 9 May 2012, 01:58 pm »
Danny are those new woofers swappable with the current N2X kits maybe using a bigger cabinet because of the different Q or whatever its called??

Those woofers will not interchange.

No, not the copper phase plug ones at LSAF, which are 6.5" OB/high Q midbasses. My (M1) sub is an 8". His upcoming 8" servo would (and hopefully will) drop in, but appears to be development delayed. No ETA as far as I know.

Actually the woofers are in stock but Brian is still developing the new smaller (and less expensive) plate amps. They can however be easily powered with the A370PEQ amps.