Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.

FrontierKodiak

Re: Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.
« Reply #360 on: 17 May 2013, 03:23 am »
What's the best way to purchase the XLS-Encores at this point? Is there a way to order them online, or should I send you an email?

Danny Richie

« Reply #361 on: 17 May 2013, 01:43 pm »
What's the best way to purchase the XLS-Encores at this point? Is there a way to order them online, or should I send you an email?

Just shoot me an e-mail or give me a call.

TheLaw612

« Reply #362 on: 27 Jul 2013, 09:08 pm »
Hey Danny, out of curiosity, what is the internal volume of the X-CS Encore cabinet?

Danny Richie

« Reply #363 on: 1 Aug 2013, 01:45 am »
Hey Danny, out of curiosity, what is the internal volume of the X-CS Encore cabinet?

It's about a cubic foot.

Oscillate

« Reply #364 on: 20 Sep 2013, 02:46 pm »
Danny ...good morning :)

Question regarding the X-series kits and the preinstalled 'factory' gaskets
that come on all the woofers, tweeters and binding cups. Is that gasket
sufficient to form an air tight seal to an enclosure? I was thinking maybe
a bead of silcone sealant between the gasket and the enclosure might be
of benefit ...to be applied only after all testing of the speaker is completed
and as part of the final assembly ...Opinions please?

Danny Richie

« Reply #365 on: 20 Sep 2013, 03:27 pm »
Danny ...good morning :)

Question regarding the X-series kits and the preinstalled 'factory' gaskets
that come on all the woofers, tweeters and binding cups. Is that gasket
sufficient to form an air tight seal to an enclosure? I was thinking maybe
a bead of silcone sealant between the gasket and the enclosure might be
of benefit ...to be applied only after all testing of the speaker is completed
and as part of the final assembly ...Opinions please?

The gaskets seal just fine. If you add Silicone then you'll be gluing them in and you might not be able to get them back out if needed.

DMY

« Reply #366 on: 22 Sep 2013, 01:00 am »
Hi,
This is my first post here.  I am interested in the X-Statik speaker kit on sale. Is this kit still available?  Where can I find the plan of building it?

Many thanks 

Danny Richie

« Reply #367 on: 24 Sep 2013, 03:35 am »
Hi,
This is my first post here.  I am interested in the X-Statik speaker kit on sale. Is this kit still available?  Where can I find the plan of building it?

Many thanks

Welcome to AC.

There are tons of them still available.

Cabinet plans can be seen here: http://gr-research.com/pdf/X-Statik%20box.pdf

DMY

« Reply #368 on: 25 Sep 2013, 12:20 am »
Hi Danny,
Thanks for the cabinet plan.

I will pm you.

Thanks,

bocina

« Reply #369 on: 27 Oct 2013, 04:05 pm »
I am back again, this time to tell you all that I just finished making a set of AV1-RS surround speakers from GR-Research and with Danny’s guidance and patience.

Ever since I finished the center Channel I knew I wanted a pair of surround speakers and while researching the options available, the pros and cons of their offerings; well, they failed to convinced me; specially the Bipole, Dipole, Quadpole, Omnipole, whatever dispersion technics they use and the real estate some of them required.  So, when I ordered the X-CS I became aware of the AV1-RS and kept those in my mind, the reflected sound idea got me, and while building the center channels, I was thinking about placement in my current room setting and because of my unusual situation, I decided that the best place will be to hang them on the ceiling.  I ordered the set and began construction, everything went smooth and the only thing I did different was to calculate the sides and cut them to their respective size and use biscuits throughout to help align and hold everything during assembly.  Again, I used templates for all the driver openings.

Unlike the X-CS, I decided to go with standard paper-backed veneer and French polishing; both are first time for me, but all went fine and had no major problems.  Of course, I debated the idea of which glue to use for the veneer and at the end I went with contact cement….for a first time the recommendations are to use an iron and dry glue, but it did not convinced me, the glue that holds the paper-backed veneer is water-based. 

I have pictured in my mind that trimming the excess veneer was probably the hardest part, but it was not so….the way I approached this task was with 120-grit sand paper starting in a 45 degree and angling progressively to meet and match the other edge, then switched to 220-grit for the final touch up; it worked out alright.  The only place I use a router with specialized bits was for the connector, tweeter and woofer openings.

I did seal the inside joints with a continuous bead of silicone and soaked the internal faces with a coat of boiled linseed oil for moisture protection and then assembled each speaker with a handful of pillow stuffing.  The crossover is located in the bottom and attached with brass screws to avoid problems with the inductors.  I did not have any issues putting them together, except that I was a bit generous with the wiring lengths and ended up buying more from Danny.

Unless I missed something on the forum, I do not think I have seen any member mounting these on the ceiling.  Here I had a bit of challenge as well; I did not want to deviate from Danny’s 45 degree design for hang them on the wall.  So, while I was working on them, my head was also thinking in a way to hold them flushed to the ceiling using the same components.  I thought maybe in the future I may have space and side walls and I would like to have the option to hang them there without further modifications.  My solution was to slide the speakers just as they were to hang on the wall, but from the sides and ½” or so from the edge of the side that faces the ceiling, drilled an 1/8” hole thru the side wall of the speaker and ¾” into the part that attaches to the wall; once the speakers are fully in place, I inserted a #10 nail in each of these 1/8” holes to secure everything the speakers in place, so far it is been working fine.

As far as how it sounds?  Well, let me tell you that most comments you have read here in the forum and others are so true, sorry, I do not have the technical verbiage to transmit my impressions, but in short I will say that these sound ESPECTACULAR!! And I am still playing around with my pre/pro settings.  They have added a sort of 3-D effect to my whole set up and often times I forget they are there; I would probably ignore them had I opted to paint them the color of the ceiling.  I am in a 5.1 set up due to the constraints of my room and honestly, that is just enough for me.

I idealized a more enveloping, diffused sound, concentrating more in what sounds better in my situation and in my room, a sound that is coming from all over the place; ignoring technicalities or room acoustics, positioning, imaging, etc.  I think I found that and more with the AV1-RS speakers; knowing that not all speakers and their respective technologies are perfect, the selection of the AV1-RS is a very good compromise for my ears and my situation.

Interestingly, I been listening to the same content, mostly music; the X-CS brought detail to live, but these baby speakers managed to extract even more detail and I now hear new sounds, and for the few times, my wife agrees with me on this fact.  On and all, thanks Danny for a great design not only for the sound they produce, but for making them so compact and wall friendly for those who do not have the space to accommodate other type of surround speakers; this fits like a glove in my place.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #370 on: 27 Oct 2013, 05:00 pm »
Those are really sharp. What type of veneer, stain and shellack did you use? Also, how many polishing sessions and rounds per session did you use?

Mike

bdp24

« Reply #371 on: 28 Oct 2013, 02:16 pm »
Beautiful wood and finishing. Hey, I thought the American flag was supposed to never touch the ground? Oh wait, that's not the ground, that's the floor!

bocina

« Reply #372 on: 31 Oct 2013, 02:21 am »
Those are really sharp. What type of veneer, stain and shellack did you use? Also, how many polishing sessions and rounds per session did you use?

Mike
Thank you for your comments Mike. I went with paper-backed American walnut and garnet shellac. I believe I put 8 sessions sanding progressively from 400 to 1200 (wet with oil) every 2 sessions and finished with clear wax

bocina

« Reply #373 on: 31 Oct 2013, 02:26 am »
Thank you for your comments Mike. I went with paper-backed American walnut and garnet shellac. I believe I put 8 sessions sanding progressively from 400 to 1200 (wet with oil) every 2 sessions and finished with clear wax
It looks like the American flag, but it is an old twin bed sheet with stars all over.  The real thing is nicely folded and comes to service on major holidays.

bocina

« Reply #374 on: 31 Oct 2013, 02:29 am »
Beautiful wood and finishing. Hey, I thought the American flag was supposed to never touch the ground? Oh wait, that's not the ground, that's the floor!
Glad you like the looks and the finish. It looks like the American flag, but it is an old twin bed sheet with stars all over.  The real thing is nicely folded and comes to service on major holidays.

bocina

« Reply #375 on: 31 Oct 2013, 02:31 am »

Mike
Forgot to tell you, I did not use any stains

Oscillate

« Reply #376 on: 17 Nov 2013, 05:17 pm »
I'm going to order some damping material for use in lining the
X-series enclosures that are almost completed. Due to costs, I
won't be using NoRez. I would rather not use the vinyl tile method.
Thinking of just using a combination of linning with hard/dense felt
and then stuffing with polyfill.

How thick of a hard/dense felt would you reccomend Danny?
(ex. 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", ect...)

Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #377 on: 17 Nov 2013, 11:40 pm »
Hard dense felt really doesn't do much for resonance control. It just absorbs standing waves much like polyfill or fiberglass.

The industrial vinyl floor tiles are only about 79 cents a square and pretty effective for not much money. I'd go with that if funds are tight.

And for absorption I actually prefer fiberglass.

bdp24

« Reply #378 on: 18 Nov 2013, 05:12 am »
Danny---Is fiberglass preferable because it is more uniform (in regards to frequencies) in it's absorption than polyfill? Should the foil backing sheet of the fiberglass be remove before attachment to the interior walls?

Danny Richie

« Reply #379 on: 18 Nov 2013, 01:58 pm »
Danny---Is fiberglass preferable because it is more uniform (in regards to frequencies) in it's absorption than polyfill? Should the foil backing sheet of the fiberglass be remove before attachment to the interior walls?

I think it sounds better.

I have not used any that had a foil backing before. Fiberglass duct board has a foil backing, but that is a different type of product. Some have a paper backing on one side. It is easily pealed away though.