Candela balance issue

JMW73

Re: Candela balance issue
« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2021, 02:19 am »
Somewhat of an update-

I’ve been listening with my DAC connected directly to my amps. Wanted to listen tonight with the Candela and was determined regardless of issues (Roon let’s you dial in some balance).

Since I had the Candela out of the loop, I had to shut off the amps to put it back in.  Turned everything on and left the room to let things warm up while I had a beer in the TV room.  I remembered that I had the original JJ tubes in it.

Came in, dialed up a song… no left channel… WTF!  Took the Candela out, had both channels. Well, while I’m up I swapped tubes side to side, put the Candela back in, no right channel. So, one of the JJs is gone. It was noticeably warmer when I pulled it.

Put my Northern Electric tubes in, dialed in some balance in Roon (took the left down 3 db), and I’m listening again. Still don’t like that I have to balance it when listening to the Candela and want Klaus to take a look at it, but at least I’m listening.  I bought a second hand cheap preamp to throw in the system for when I send it out. I don’t like controlling the volume digitally, and I need a pre-out for my subs.

It’s days like these that I wish I liked listening on headphones better!

JMW73

« Reply #21 on: 26 Oct 2021, 08:27 pm »
Since I'm "being patient", and I have the other pre-amp on the way, I also ordered another set of tubes.  We shall see.  The saga continues.

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2021, 09:41 pm »
Jesse,

Since you are being patient  :D I will suggest you do one more test and this one is simple… I believe you are using mono amps, switch the amps around and see if your apparent lower volume follow the amp! It could be that one mono amp may be a little off and just need to be re-biased!

Alex

JMW73

« Reply #23 on: 27 Oct 2021, 12:45 am »
Jesse,

Since you are being patient  :D I will suggest you do one more test and this one is simple… I believe you are using mono amps, switch the amps around and see if your apparent lower volume follow the amp! It could be that one mono amp may be a little off and just need to be re-biased!

Alex

Thanks, Alex. I will try that one. I was planning on asking Klaus about checking my bias when I talk to him, too.

JMW73

« Reply #24 on: 28 Oct 2021, 01:27 am »
Jesse,

Alex

Physically moved my amps side to side so everything else stayed the same. Nope. It stayed on the same side. 🤷🏻‍♂️

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #25 on: 28 Oct 2021, 04:30 pm »
Jesse,

Time to send it back for us to check it out...also,  let's see what I can do for you bringing up the amp to 11  !!!

JMW73

« Reply #26 on: 28 Oct 2021, 08:28 pm »
Jesse,

Time to send it back for us to check it out...also,  let's see what I can do for you bringing up the amp to 11  !!!

Yes, Klaus, let’s talk.

JMW73

« Reply #27 on: 1 Nov 2021, 04:47 pm »
So, here is a new wrinkle.  I don't know if it solves anything or just adds more data to an already confusing issue.

As mentioned, I got the JJ tubes recommended earlier in this thread (and seen elsewhere in a tube rolling thread).  Put them in Friday and let 'em warm up 30-45 minutes.  Go down for a listen and first impressions are: nicely balanced.  Also, a little less "sweet" in the mids and highs and a bit more bass and dynamics than the Northern Electrics that I've been using mainly.  But I digress... BALANCED!

So, here is what has me taking a pause from saying: problem solved.  1) Alex has insisted that a tube either works or doesn't work and if one is quieter, then it is a contact issue (I need to buy stock in De-Oxit!).  And 2) I had paid extra for a "matched pair" on the Northern Electrics.  But, as I had said earlier, the OE JJs sounded imbalanced and then one died (and yes, that channel was totally dead).  So I don't know.  I guess it doesn't totally rule out a contact issue, but it makes it more and more suspect.  Maybe these fit the sockets better making good contact?  But why did the OE JJs sound fine for awhile and then not  (I NEVER removed those tubes until this issue came up)?  I do know that last night I actually got to sit and listen and get involved with the music without thinking about my system for the first time in awhile.

Gonna sit on it for awhile and see what happens.  Never did connect the "cheap preamp" I bought to keep the system rolling.  I guess it can stay there for a backup if I need to send in the Candela.

:popcorn:

Doublej

« Reply #28 on: 1 Nov 2021, 08:24 pm »
A post from another forum on the topic of tube problems.

https://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/messages/25/253369.html

JMW73

« Reply #29 on: 1 Nov 2021, 09:19 pm »
A post from another forum on the topic of tube problems.

https://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/messages/25/253369.html

Thanks, I'll have to take some time to read through that.

JMW73

« Reply #30 on: 12 Nov 2021, 07:55 pm »
Another follow-up. 

I bought some RCA Cleartops off Ebay... put them in... balance was good.  Got a wild hair and bought some new Pvvane tubes.  Put them in... balance was good.

So, this is now REALLY pointing to nothing wrong with the Candela, just an incredibly rare coincidence where the 2 sets of tubes I had were both causing the same issue.  Alex insists that it was a contact issue... but 1) it first appeared before I had EVER touched/removed/replaced the original JJs, and 2) I could not rectify the issue with any amount of de-oxit and de-oxit Gold (which is what Alex recommended).

Anyway, problem solved?  Probably.  The mystery as to why it happened in the first place certainly isn't!

BTW, I tweaked my EQ/room correction settings with the Pvsane tubes in then played some hi res MTV Unplugged tracks.  HOLY ISH!  Dynamics and imaging out of the world.  The Pvsanes might be the ticket if you listen to rock/pop/country music at all.  Tweaks done, I'm ready to settle in this weekend and listed to MUSIC not equipment, tubes, issues, EQ settings.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #31 on: 12 Nov 2021, 08:02 pm »
Yep, I'm a big fan of the Psvane tubes.  The "Art" series (EL84 and 12au7), the WE Replica series (300b and 2A3), the Philips series (EL34's), Cossor series tubes (211 and 845 tubes). All are exceptional. 

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #32 on: 12 Nov 2021, 11:30 pm »

Dishman442

« Reply #33 on: 20 Nov 2021, 10:20 am »
3 DB is twice (or half) the volume. Not even a little subtle.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #34 on: 20 Nov 2021, 04:19 pm »
3 DB is twice (or half) the volume. Not even a little subtle.

Incorrect.  10db is considered twice the volume.

You might be thinking of how much power is required to get a 3db increase in sound, which is double.