What are the top speakers for low wattage systems?

versus rider

Re: What are the top speakers for low wattage systems?
« Reply #40 on: 8 Feb 2020, 12:52 pm »
I think that for the purposes of this discussion most amps are well below 10w. A Pass ACA at 5-8w would be a qualifying SS amp.

dave
so a 15w Bakoon 11R would not qualify?

Freo-1

« Reply #41 on: 8 Feb 2020, 01:59 pm »
so a 15w Bakoon 11R would not qualify?

According to the guidelines for this circle, 15 watts qualifies as low wattage.   Most low wattage amps are 10 watts or less,  but anything 25 watts or less can be considered  as low wattage. 

eso

« Reply #42 on: 22 Feb 2020, 05:22 am »
My old Welbourne Laurels produced ~8W stock. Cy Brenneman added a fixed bias and some other little mods and he tells me he cut the distortion in half while raising the output to 11W. I run these with Western Electric 300Bs.

They make plenty of power for my speakers which put out ~110db 1w/1m. The Cogent field coil drivers are pretty much unobtanium now though. The set up is not complete yet: custom mounting racks are in progress and there is some minor tweaking to the network still.

System overview:

Rendering of the racks in progress:

Racks welded up:

Pink noise at the listening position, no smoothing:

The wooden area around and behind the mains are the visible portions of the built in 30Hz bass horns that run on different amps with a passive line level 2nd order 65Hz low pass. Here is one of the mouths as the loft was nearing completion:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #43 on: 22 Feb 2020, 06:23 pm »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #44 on: 22 Feb 2020, 06:41 pm »
Great photos ESO, thanks for posting :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #45 on: 22 Feb 2020, 07:08 pm »
  I take it your room is an Attic space. Yo have me thinking about my attic for a system. What size is your space ? Beautiful work BTW, looks great.

charles

eso

« Reply #46 on: 22 Feb 2020, 07:23 pm »
Thanks everybody. A lot of work in that space.

It's actually a loft above my garage. It was an open rafters when we bought the house. I built the floor and then everything else.

The room footprint is ~13'w X 18'l. The pony walls down each side are ~3' high. The voids behind the record cases are stuffed with insulation and act as bass traps. The entire room is the system.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #47 on: 22 Feb 2020, 07:29 pm »
Thanks everybody. A lot of work in that space.

It's actually a loft above my garage. It was an open rafters when we bought the house. I built the floor and then everything else.

The room footprint is ~13'w X 18'l. The pony walls down each side are ~3' high. The voids behind the record cases are stuffed with insulation and act as bass traps. The entire room is the system.

Sweet and very well done Sir. A joy to look at.

charles

4Play

• You Get Busy Living or You Get Busy Dying
« Reply #48 on: 28 Feb 2020, 10:26 pm »
It just so happens I am putting together a low watt system for myself. I recently purchased a Pass ACA Class A that is putting out 8wpc. My Focal 806V bookshelf with Focal stands don't go low enough for the amp. After a lot of thought and deliberation, and several emails with Eric at Tekton Design, he recommended that I go with the Enzo XL. I have yet to decide on what type of finish to get. Here is a picture of the Enzos I found online. I am using the same type of Ikea Expedit that's in the picture.