Help! SB2 connect to McIntosh MDA1000

thxnordic

« on: 3 Oct 2005, 08:29 am »
Hi,
before I order the SB2, I wonder if I should connect the standard SB2 via digital coax to my MDA1000 (hell is this a nice DAC) or having the SB2 modded and the directly connected to my MC501 via RCA.

BTW, what are modificatins to the mod SB2 digital version?

I guess I could use my existing CD transport (MCD1000) and DAC connected via XLR to my amps and using the mod SB2 connected via RCA directly to the amps too (not to mentioned that I switch of the one or the other source).  

Who can share his/her experience with high-end equipment and the SB2 box?

/Tom

Wayne1

« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2005, 03:03 pm »
Tom,

I think the first thing you should do is consider using a different power supply with the SB2.

We compared different power supplies with a stock and modded SB2 this weekend. We used both analog outs direct to a pair of very good mono-blocks and digital outs to a modded Panasonic receiver.

In all cases we felt the sound quality improved using a linear supply.

We did hear a difference between the surplus Hosfelt supply talked about in the Lab Circle and the supply I build. There is also a over a $150.00 difference in cost.

Sending the unit to Vinnie for battery power mods is also an option.

There were audible differences between the stock and modded players with digital output.

You are the only one who can decide what sounds better in your system. I do not believe anyone else has youe exact mix of gear.

I change some of the caps in the power supply in the SB2 digital only mod. I replace the digital output connector with a WBT NextGen RCA. I reroute the digital signal path and I run the power to the digital buffer from a linear power regulator rather than the internal switcher. There are a few other things that are done to keep the noise level lower in the digital only mod. A Bybee purifier can also be added in the output signal line.

It is my personal opinion that once you hear what your music sounds like direct from your hard drive, you will want to sell your CD player :D

thxnordic

« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2005, 08:36 pm »
Hi Wayne,
thank you for your direct reply. I will listen into the SB2 once I receive it and then decide what to do next.
I agree with you to change the ps first before doing something else (I prefer the linear ps). My goal is to avoid any disturbance in the system and enjoy the highest level of music reproduction.

I still wonder how to connect the SB2 to my system. Via coax to the DAC or via RCA to directly to the amps?

:lol: Wayne, nice try to get my MCD1000 on audiogon.

My setup is B&W 800D, MC501, MDA1000, MCD1000, and maybe soon a SB2.

/Tom