Any SAM owners in the Dallas Fort Worth area?

ColSanderz

Any SAM owners in the Dallas Fort Worth area?
« on: 21 Oct 2018, 01:17 am »
Hey everyone,

I've been talking with Louis for the last week or two about getting his SAM HO XRS speakers. It's a big potential move for me, since it would be replacing my vandersteen treo's.

I took the leap previously and purchased a beautiful pair of super 8 monitors from him. Overall, I love how they sound. Very musical and exceptional imaging. Decent bass but I could see myself using a sub with them to be happy. The only thing I don't like about them is that they still are bright for me and can be fatiguing at times. Louis assured me that the Alnico drivers won't be as bright.

Anyways, the only thing keeping me from going all in is that I've never heard his Alnico driver. So, is there anyone in the area with one of his Alnico offerings? I know if I heard them in person that would allay any worries that my wife and I still have.

Thanks everyone!

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Any SAM owners in the Dallas Fort Worth area?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2018, 04:57 pm »
Certainly worth getting a listen if you can find one.  I will share, however, that I originally had the Super 7 XRS with both a ferrite driver (no whizzer) and an alnico driver (with whizzer).  For me, the ferrite was too bright, even without the whizzer.  The alnico was much more pleasant.  In addition it had, what I call, texture.  Reeds, like sax, voices, guitar strings, all had a richer sound.  I later upgraded to SAMs and those same characteristics were even more pronounced.  Next step are the SAM HOs that Louis is now building for me. 

I have monitors and the XRS versions would definitely have a bit more bass strength and the HO versions should help in that regard as well.  Still, I use bass augmentation.

HTH,    .....Peter

jmolsberg

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2018, 06:56 pm »
Col, out of curiosity, how long did you break them in for? My rs5 took a few months to relax.

ColSanderz

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2018, 09:13 pm »
Sorry, I just saw your reply. My work was nice enough to let me run them (far louder than is comfortable) in one of their recording studios over the weekend. Did that for 4 weekends straight, so at least 200 hours. Also played them several hours a day during the week. I'd say I have 300-400 hours on them.

I'll say, at low volumes, the brightness doesn't bother me, but anything louder and that's when the fatigue starts to kick in. It's more apparent with a solid state amp than the EL84 set amp I'm using with them right now.

My wife likes the look of the omegas though :) so we're planning on getting the SAM HO or HO XRS, just waiting for the funds.

jmolsberg

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2018, 01:23 am »
No SAMs but I am in Fort Worth and always down to jam out if you are in the area.
Cheers

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2018, 01:38 pm »
I can say with some certainty that you don't need to fear brightness with the SAMs.

Last week I visited a friend to help him setup a cartridge of mine that he wanted to audition, and possibly buy.  Afterwards, we sat and listened.  He owns a pair of SAM.  Sounded so good I listened for 4 hrs straight.  Damn!.....that cartridge never sounded so good at my place!   :duh:   :lol:

Anyways, I couldn't get that sound outta my head, so a few days later went back with my GF for another listen.  This time 5 hrs straight.  My GF sat mesmerized.  She liked it so much she offered to buy his entire system on the spot....and my system is no slouch!  I too thought it was one of the more natural and involving home audio systems I've ever experienced.

I'm super sensitive to any kind of brightness, hardness or edge.  None existed.

His rig is modest....all bought used......buck bang in spades:

Omega SAM
Almarro 318B
VPI Scout w/ Dynavector 20X-L
K & K Audio SE phono section
Discovery cabling

Buy the SAMs with confidence, you will love them.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2018, 02:41 pm by sunnydaze »

ColSanderz

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2018, 11:40 pm »
Thanks for the vote of confidence :D I had been talking with Louis a bit ago about trading up my RS8's for one of his Alnico speakers, but that came to a halt since I hadn't heard them before and it was going to require a massive amplifier change in my main system! (and my wife didn't like having tubes in the main system that she uses throughout the day)

But I think as a secondary system it'll work quite well and be a nice change :) I have a really nice EL84 amp I'm looking forward to pairing with them.

Now the question is finish. I think Louis told me previously that we could decide on the finish later.

kmcelyea

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2018, 05:54 am »
Not in Fort Worth but in OKC and have the SAM! Only 3 and 1/2 hours away and would love for you to come up and take a listen. I have three different systems setup, the one with the Omega’s is in our extra bedroom with the following equipment: Decware Torii Jr power amp and CPS 3 preamp along with a ZP 3 handling the phono. I’m setup for both computer digital using a Teac UD-501 d/a and analog handled by a VPI Prime with an Ortofon 2M Black. If interested send me a pm back and we can setup a time

Thanks Kevin