Looking for some 3a's. Please help

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jan 2005, 08:45 am »
some cheeseballs...... like 3 Blind Mice on the best audio system in the world.
    Will these do....... :lol: [/list:u]
    [/list:u]

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
      • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
    reference 3a
    « Reply #21 on: 10 Jan 2005, 10:46 pm »
    hi Nick, one of my customers just replaced his ref 3's with Daedalus DA-1
    if you're still looking i could put him in touch with you, i think he still has the ref 3's and may sell them.
    thanks,
    lou

Nick

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan 2005, 05:25 pm »
    How would you compare 3a to Martin Logan?

mcrespo71

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jan 2005, 06:26 pm »
    Which Martin Logan?  If you are going hybrid electrostats, I like Innersound better than ML.  Comparing 3a's to martin logan is sort of weird- they are very different.  You need to just go listen to this stuff.

Michael

Nick

« Reply #24 on: 11 Jan 2005, 06:45 pm »
    I was thinking the Dulcet and Aerius.

Thanks

mcrespo71

« Reply #25 on: 11 Jan 2005, 06:52 pm »
    IMO the Dulcet is better, but I'd keep looking within both lines.  Ultimately, what is your budget?

Michael

Nick

« Reply #26 on: 11 Jan 2005, 06:55 pm »
    About $1000 USD or $1200 Canadian.

I have seen both go used for about these prices. The ML can be had for as low as $800 US.

mcrespo71

« Reply #27 on: 11 Jan 2005, 07:11 pm »
    And you have the BC integrated and what CD player/cabling?

Michael

Nick

« Reply #28 on: 11 Jan 2005, 07:46 pm »
    I have a Rega Planet 2000
    Monster Power 2600 Conditioning
    DMN reason interconnect with bullet plugs
    A Blue Circle BC61 powercord for both the Rega and CS

My speaker cable is only HD14 rigth now. I was silly and sold my Audioquest with my old speakers. I am probably going to replace it with some Goertz MI2 or Audience Maserto.

mcrespo71

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jan 2005, 07:52 pm »
    I'd contact PHILNYC regarding this, but I don't think the Dulcet.  I haven't heard the amp, so I can't comment.   The Dulcet I heard was with a Single Ended Triode integrated and it still got shouty.   I'd predict anything less than SET may be a bit much, but I'm just guessing.  

Michael

Nick

« Reply #30 on: 11 Jan 2005, 08:08 pm »
    Thanks

T-Dogg

3a.
    « Reply #31 on: 19 Jan 2005, 09:56 pm »
    Hi Nick,

I bought a pair of the original 3a's that were made in France.  I waited a good year before coming across a pair on Canuckaudiomart.  The seller was upgrading to a pair of 3a MM De Capo's.  I had listened to the De Capo's numerous times and really like them, but I wasn't prepared to drop $3k on speakers.  From what I understand the MM's made in Spain are best avoided as they had serious quality control problems.

The best way to find a pair is to keep your eyes peeled and simply wait it out if they are something you really want.  I will never sell mine, ever.  That's the problem though, people tend to hang onto them.  They can apparently be upgraded by replacing the internal speaker wire as well as replacing the cheap capacitor and cheap binding posts.  The cabinet is not as good as the De Capo's, but the woofer is pretty much identical to the De Capo with the absence of the phase plug.  

I believe if you keep them at least 26" off the floor that the phase plug is unnecessary, as if I recall correctly the 3a L'Integrale didn't use a phase plug but had the same woofer and I believe that was the justification.

This is a great speaker, but unless you really want one you'll be expending a lot of effort for not enough return, so I guess it's up to you!