DWM with center channel setup?

schugh

DWM with center channel setup?
« on: 25 Feb 2021, 05:31 am »
Hello, I just picked up a single DWM bass panel to use with my CCR Center Channel.
When I play test pink noise from my Anthem receiver it doesn't sound much different. I thought it would sound a little more fuller. But I can hear the DWM is making sound when I put my ears to it.

I ran the ARC calibration from my Anthem and the frequency sweep still shows the center falling sharply below 200 Hz.
I thought with the DWM it wouldn't fall so sharply above 100 HZ at least.

The Anthem set the center crossover to 200 Hz. I read somewhere else somebody had used a DWM with a Magnepan center channel and also ran ARC and ARC had set his crossover to 60Hz.

My CCR is on a 16" center channel speaker stand and I put the DWM a little behind it.

I connected the center channel speaker out from the Anthem receiver to the Amp-1 inputs on the DWM and then I used a single spare speaker cable to connect one of the high level output from the DWM to the CCR speaker terminals.

I'm not sure why I'm not getting the sound/behaviour I expected.

Anyone here has some experience setting something up similar.

kmmd

Re: DWM with center channel setup?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2021, 04:57 pm »

The Anthem set the center crossover to 200 Hz. I read somewhere else somebody had used a DWM with a Magnepan center channel and also ran ARC and ARC had set his crossover to 60Hz.

The CCR and DWM have interesting and less than ideal frequency responses down to 200Hz and 40Hz respectively.  Anyway, have you tried to manually set the center crossover to 60Hz on your Anthem or switched the center channel to “Large” or something similar so that no crossover can be implemented?  It would be interesting to see if that improves your center channel sound.

I’m using a Maggie tri-planar set up (CC3 and pair of MG10’s) with a Velodyne DD12 sub (speaker level input).  My Theta CB IVa pre/pro has the center set to “Full.”  I have an Anthem AVM-20, but it’s been in my bedroom system for about a decade or so.