AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Comparing Cherry Amps to ncore
« on: 29 May 2012, 02:29 am »
Haven't had a chance to read through this entire thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105310.msg1095143;topicseen#new

I requested that anyone who has had the chance to A/B compare with Cherry Amps post about it, but nothing yet....

Seems we may have opened the door to tweaking Class-D for sound as opposed to bench measurements.

I'm excited to have a listen and compare not only to Cherry Amp technology but also to our NEW technology (will be released soon).  Just glad that Class-D is continuing to gain momentum as a superior type of power delivery.

Please let us know if you've had the chance to hear ncore amps and what you think its strengths are.  As we get ready to introduce our new class of amplifiers, we would like to know if the areas we have tweaked for are in common.

Thanks, and looking forward to your responses....

-Tommy O

Cheeseboy

Re: Comparing Cherry Amps to ncore
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2012, 04:04 pm »
Looking forward to hearing all about it. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2012, 04:22 pm »
Seems we may have opened the door to tweaking Class-D for sound as opposed to bench measurements.
Where are your measurements published on your amps?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2012, 03:15 am »
Where are your measurements published on your amps?

We are in the midst of an overhaul for our web site, but there are current specs for Cherry amps there:
www.DigitalAmp.com
(look at the product pages)

We also have a spec sheet for the original Cherry amplifier:
http://www.digitalamp.com/cherry%20measurements%20v6.pdf

Thanks for your post.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2012, 07:17 pm »
Adding NuForce into the mix ????

Check this out:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106866.msg1095751#msg1095751

Feel free to add your 2 cents.  Seriously, if there's someone in the NY/NJ/PA area that can get the other two amps, we can have an awesome Class-D amp shootout....

Of course, we will need a variety of speakers to really see/hear what's up.

worldcat

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2012, 11:19 pm »
Class D amps will get more attention soon as the company's start charging more money for them.   You can build class D so much cheaper and that threatens the establishment!!

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2012, 11:24 pm »
I don’t think manufactures such as Pass Labs or Bryston are all that worried about Class D amps cutting into their business.  ;)

Sonny

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2012, 11:31 pm »
I have to say, I have not heard of the NCores or read about them from any industry write ups, but the comments / reviews here and else where really love these amps.  I will hopefully have a chance to listen to them when my friend "OrientalExpress" gets them (Thanks Jwtrace) for review...

But I think with everything, thereis always the flavor of the month...in this case, it seems like these little babies are really nice, small, effecient, relatively inexpensive and DIYable...which I think is nice...but really to compare these, one has to look at all channels and compare them, like everything else, with amps of the same costs (used or retail value)...having said that, I'd love to have a pair to compare to my older Pass X250...but don't know if I'll get a chance...so, any one that gets these from Jtwrace and auditions them, keep your comments coming!  I did read that one person with the Modwright KW-150 said he's keep it...

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2012, 11:39 pm »
I have to say, I have not heard of the NCores or read about them from any industry write ups, but the comments / reviews here and else where really love these amps.  I will hopefully have a chance to listen to them when my friend "OrientalExpress" gets them (Thanks Jwtrace) for review...

But I think with everything, thereis always the flavor of the month...in this case, it seems like these little babies are really nice, small, effecient, relatively inexpensive and DIYable...which I think is nice...but really to compare these, one has to look at all channels and compare them, like everything else, with amps of the same costs (used or retail value)...having said that, I'd love to have a pair to compare to my older Pass X250...but don't know if I'll get a chance...so, any one that gets these from Jtwrace and auditions them, keep your comments coming!  I did read that one person with the Modwright KW-150 said he's keep it...

The buzz on the Ncore seems to be limited to this website.  Given all the positive reviews, would like to hook them up to my speakers for a drive, and compare them to the Pass Labs XA 30.5 or Threshold SA/3. 

I’m a firm believer that you need to have the component in your system for a period to time to judge if it fits or not.  A listening session on a system you are not familiar with is just not the same.

worldcat

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2012, 11:39 pm »
Pass and Bryston should for sure!!

Sonny

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2012, 11:43 pm »

I’m a firm believer that you need to have the component in your system for a period to time to judge if it fits or not.  A listening session on a system you are not familiar with is just not the same.
agreed, perhaps i can take them to my place....

medium jim

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2012, 11:52 pm »
Freo-1:

I'm in your camp, other than here and the DIY is there any buzz about the NCore.  Absolutely, it takes some listening time to advance outside of the honeymoon period to really know what is what.

Jim

Sonny

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2012, 11:55 pm »

The buzz on the Ncore seems to be limited to this website.  Given all the positive reviews, would like to hook them up to my speakers for a drive, and compare them to the Pass Labs XA 30.5 or Threshold SA/3. 

agreed....though I don't think it would be fair to put the NCores against the XA series from Pass...

mr_bill

« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2012, 11:59 pm »
Why not?

Seee Mgalushas list of amps he has compared the NCores too as well as AtmaSphere and Lamma and they held their own.

Freo-1

« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2012, 12:02 am »
agreed....though I don't think it would be fair to put the NCores against the XA series from Pass...

I know of one person who stated they had a XA 30.5, and preferred the Ncore.  I have no reason to doubt their word, but it does speak volumes of individual preferences when listening to music.  Personally, every Class D amp I’ve heard/owned was not all that hot (especially with HF). 

It’s “horses for courses”.  8)

cab

« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2012, 12:28 am »

I know of one person who stated they had a XA 30.5, and preferred the Ncore.  I have no reason to doubt their word, but it does speak volumes of individual preferences when listening to music.  Personally, every Class D amp I’ve heard/owned was not all that hot (especially with HF). 

It’s “horses for courses”.  8)

Why do you assume the ncore is the same as all other class d amps? Are all class A, AB amps the same? Have you heard it?

There have been dozens of reports from listeners and owners now, many who have owned plenty of high end amps-enough that a consensus has emerged: the ncore is a top quality amp, regardless of topology, that competes with most anything out there....About 9 out of 10 people who have reported hearing it have bought it....I would think that would speak for itself....

shadowlight

« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2012, 12:37 am »
I think the closest comment is from Barry_NJ posted on Audionervosa

I think they handle the upper frequencies better than the Cherry amps, but I think the Cherry amps have more dynamics and slam.

Freo-1

« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2012, 12:43 am »
Why do you assume the ncore is the same as all other class d amps? Are all class A, AB amps the same? Have you heard it?

There have been dozens of reports from listeners and owners now, many who have owned plenty of high end amps-enough that a consensus has emerged: the ncore is a top quality amp, regardless of topology, that competes with most anything out there....About 9 out of 10 people who have reported hearing it have bought it....I would think that would speak for itself....

I’m sure the Ncore is a fine amplifier, but it is Class D, and one cannot cheat physics.  That means it has an output filter, lots of negative feedback, and switching transients as part of how it works (just like any other Class D).  It also means that a speaker like the Legacy Signature III, which dips to 1.1 ohms at 65 Hz, may not be a good match for it.

I don’t know where the figure “9 of ten people who have heard it bought it” comes from.  Regardless, as stated before, I do know folks who have heard it, and liked it better than some high quality conventional amps.  There are others who demur.  That’s why I stated a component needs to be auditioned over a period of time in your own system.  Personal tastes of what is important in playback come into this as well. 

That’s why some folks love tubes, others like lots of solid state power, etc.  Should not be a issue.   8)

sts9fan

« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2012, 12:49 am »
You may not be able to "cheat physics" but you can work within the resolution on the human ear and brain.

cab

« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2012, 12:55 am »
To assume it is somehow flawed from the start based on the topology is to ignore the fact that not only does it spec better than nearly anything on the market, it also has proven itself able to compete with just about anything out there, at any price, as well. We also know that bumblebees can't fly....so much for stereotypes....welcome to state of the art class d.