FryKleaner Connector Options

hagtech

« on: 9 Sep 2003, 10:47 pm »
The standard FryKleaner uses RCA jacks for output connectors.  Those of you building the board inside a chassis have the option of wiring up whatever connectors you desire.  Here's another option:

I found some low cost adapters at www.jameco.com (the source for other parts) of interest.

• 114753, RCA to BNC converter
  • 11383, BNC to alligator clips
  • 100600, BNC to speaker binding post
  • [/list:u]

Use these in combination to do speaker or other cables.

jh :)

ABEX

« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2003, 12:03 pm »
Initially I was a little disappointed that I did not get a chasis box. What I am finding out is that I can use Allegator Clips while taking up the Rca jacks in order to burn more things at once.

I wrapped Bare Wires around Allegator clips and through holes to them because I had not  setup RCA jacks to Allegator Clips yet. I was just about to waste time setting them up when I thought of the idea.

When I go to Burn In Speaker wire with connectors I will use the RCA-Allegator Clip.

Just another way of doing things I guess which others might want to look at .Be creative.  :wink:

hagtech

What about XLR?
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2003, 07:28 pm »
I get a lot of questions regarding balanced cables.  The FryKleaner is flexible enough to be wired up in several configurations.  You can run in voltage mode or current mode (which seems to be more effective).  For voltage mode, you connect only one end of a cable to the FryKleaner.  Current mode requires that you loop the cable back into the opposite phase signal, or short the far end.  You can get a combination of both voltage and current modes by terminating the far end of the cable in 100 ohms.

The normal wiring pattern is to connect cables from the positive phase to the negative phase:

For balanced XLR cables, you can only do one at a time using the following connections (current mode):

Fortunately, in current mode you can do more than one cable at a time by daisy-chaining them in series.

Rob Thomas

Re: What about XLR?
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2003, 10:25 pm »
Hi Jim.

I'm building my lil' Fry in the box, and including XLR's and 5 way binding posts in addition to RCA's.

Assuming I'm only hooking up one cable type at a time, is there any problem wiring all these jacks in parallel to the PCB outputs:?:

TIA,

Rob

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2003, 04:20 am »
You can wire all the connectors in parallel.  In fact, you can wire up for more than one balanced cable by moving the 100 ohm resistors off board.  Run separate 100 ohm resistors for each connector, then you can do multiple pairs.  The power amps can handle the signal load for two pairs.