What to rent?

Charles Calkins

What to rent?
« on: 28 Apr 2005, 08:28 pm »
Even though I have a decent home theater system I don't rent movies too often. I listen to two channel audio all the time. When I go to blockbuster my mind seems to go blank. Anybody have recomendations for good movies to rent?

Cheers
                     Charlie

bubba966

What to rent?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2005, 12:31 am »
What's your idea of a good movie?

ss397

What to rent?
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2005, 02:15 am »
a love song for bobby long
hotel rawanda
finding neverland

all dramas, all dark, but the best movies i've seen this year

mca

What to rent?
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2005, 02:37 am »
I suggest that you subscribe to the DVDtalk.com newsletter. It comes out every Tuesday and has very good reviews of some of each weeks new releases. That's how I pick what to buy, rent or pass.

I also second "A Love Song For Bobby Long". It's a great movie and something very different from John Travolta.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
What to rent?
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2005, 02:52 am »
If you want a new one, I'd recommend Sideways, if you haven't seen it.  Very good- it deserves the hype.  A little older, but Lost in Translation was excellent, too.

Along the action movie line, I recently saw Hero and thought it was superb.  When in doubt, the directors cut of Underworld is killer.

ellogan

What to rent?
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2005, 03:18 am »
Hi:
Second the Underworld recommendation. Only movie I have watched more than two times. I liked it so much I bought the regular version and the extended edition as well. Another movie that is pretty good and you may enjoy, if you like sci-fi, is Pitch Black (low budget, but quite original and pretty good plot, not predictable). Another movie I enjoyed, but which did not get a lot of cyber ink was Out of Time with Denzel Washington.

Marbles

What to rent?
« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2005, 03:31 am »
I have just one word for you....  Ray!!

The Ray Charles Story

Just incredible.

Johng316

What to rent?
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2005, 01:52 pm »
To test your sound:  The Incredibles (watch your subwoofers, this movie can blow the drivers if you're not careful).  Awesome sound throughout, and a fun story to boot.

Comedy:  Office Space, Dodge Ball (not everyone liked this one, but I enjoyed).

Great story:  Maria Full Of Grace (subtitled, most amazing movie I've seen recently), Memento, Lord of the Rings series (story, picture, sound, AMAZING).

Action:  The Rundown (one of the best action films in years, IMO), Alien vs. Predator (if you liked Aliens and you liked Predator, you might like this... I did), The Matrix (oldie but very goodie).

Love/Hate:  Kill Bill 1 and 2.  You'll either love or hate these.  I personally loved.

John

Johng316

What to rent?
« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2005, 09:11 pm »
Thriller:  Identity.  LOVED this movie.  Check it out if you haven't seen.

John

Johng316

What to rent?
« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2005, 03:39 pm »
Romance:  The Notebook.  Saw this last night and loved it!  Wonderful story.  Will definitely buy this one and add it to my collection.  

John

lupodwdm

What to rent?
« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2005, 09:20 pm »
If you like sci-fi, look for a movie called "Primer".  Is was a Sundance grand prise award winner from last year.  

Brilliant film!!!

ellogan

What to rent?
« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2005, 02:05 am »
I just watched "After the Sunset" today with Pierce Brosnan, Woody Harrelson, and Selma Hayek and thought it was an excellent movie. It did not get the reviews that it should have had, but that happens to a lot of excellent films that do not get the full promotion treatment. Check it out and then let us know your impressions on it. I think you will enjoy.
Take care

bundee1

What to rent?
« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2005, 04:06 am »
SciFi - Dark City
It has a great story good cast and nice special effects. Very Original

Humor - Kung Fu Hustle
You have to buy this in your local chinatown though.
A very good story up until the end, Very funny with good action.

Charles Calkins

What to rent?
« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2005, 03:03 pm »
I watched National treasure last night and thought it was a very entertaing movie. Not a classic or anything likr that just a good movie.

But what I really liked about the movie was the audio playback. It was probably the best I've heard. Crystal clear dialogue and super surround sound effects. Just outstanding.

Cheers
                            Charlie

lupodwdm

What to rent?
« Reply #14 on: 9 May 2005, 09:24 pm »
Quote from: bundee1
SciFi - Dark City
It has a great story good cast and nice special effects. Very Original

That is a great movie!  If your intrested in film on a more academic level, watch that DVD while listening to the comentary track by Rogert Ebert that is also on that DVD.  

Did you know that the scene in the beginning where the knife falls off the table used three different camera setups just to catch the knife falling through the air?

That has to be one of the best comentary tracks I have ever heard. Ebert a VERY smart dude when it comes to film theory.

jcoat007

What to rent?
« Reply #15 on: 9 May 2005, 10:32 pm »
Go and Rent DIG!!!

Awesome movie.

R_burke

What to rent?
« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2005, 10:37 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
I watched National treasure last night and thought it was a very entertaing movie. Not a classic or anything likr that just a good movie.

I liked it also, kinda reminded me of Goonies, that was another fun/light movie that the whole family can watch.

HarleyMYK

What to rent?
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2005, 12:09 am »
It really depends upon what you are into.  I have enjoyed:
Standing in the Shadows of Motown
Motorcycle Diaries
Sex and Lucia
Shaun of the Dead
Whale Rider (family)
both of the Bourne dvds
Festival Express
Tombstone

bundee1

What to rent?
« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2005, 03:15 am »
This guy has been waiting 2 days to go to the video store and now he has enough reco's for 2 weeks. :lol:

LordCloud

What to rent?
« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2005, 09:42 pm »
American Splendor is an all around great movie. If you like jazz, you'll especially appreciate the soundtrack. I also love Underworld (I don't think a woman can look any better than Kate Beckinsale did in this movie.), I also recommend The Office. One of the funniest tv showa ever.