Anyone catching Sin City this weekend?

bubba966

« on: 1 Apr 2005, 07:10 am »
I've been looking forward to seeing it for quite some time. So I'll be catching it tomorrow evening with a couple of friends.

Can't say I've ever read any of the comics. But Sin City was always highly regarded anytime I've ever heard it spoken of. Actually I don't recall hearing much of anything bad about anything that Miller's ever wrote.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2005, 12:05 pm »
I'll watch based on the hottie factor alone. :P

R_burke

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2005, 06:55 pm »
So where's the review :?:

Ears

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2005, 07:35 pm »
Loved it.... it was one of the best sounding and looking movies I have seen in a while and Mickey Rourke can still act.

Very bloody and violent...in a cartoony sort of way with a bit of t/a for in between the violence :mrgreen:

R_burke

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2005, 08:06 pm »
Quote from: Ears
Loved it.... Very bloody and violent...in a cartoony sort of way with a bit of t/a for in between the violence :mrgreen:

Right up my alley, I love cartooney violence with a bit of t/a.   :dance: Is it worth seeing in theatres or just wait for the DVD

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2005, 08:17 pm »
I saw it last Friday and really enjoyed it.

Great action, nice T/A, and plenty of violence.  :mrgreen:

The use of color at certain moments and in certain places is great, as is the whole black and white look.

I never read the comics, but will probably pick them up based on the movie.

Acting/casting is very good.  But the strong point is the stories.

Highly recommended.

George

Ears

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2005, 08:54 pm »
Quote from: R_burke
Quote from: Ears
Loved it.... Very bloody and violent...in a cartoony sort of way with a bit of t/a for in between the violence :mrgreen:

Right up my alley, I love cartooney violence with a bit of t/a.   :dance: Is it worth seeing in theatres or just wait for the DVD

I would reccomend seeing it for sure....and eventually buying the dvd...hopefully in HD...DVD.

The first 10 minutes had me scratching my head...but after that it was quite good and has a very cool stylistic look going for it....and I usually hate stylistic looking flicks such as Sky Captain... ect

Best movie I have seen in a while and theres even a few funny parts  thrown in for good measure I guess :D

lupodwdm

« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2005, 02:59 am »
Brillant film!  Awsome look and even better writing.

bundee1

« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2005, 03:30 am »
I caught it last night. Same for me, it took a little while to get it going but I really dug the Mickey Rourke story. DAMN! CARLA GUGINO HAS THE BODY OF A GODDESS! All of the women were beautiful.

I met Frank Miller over the summer at a book fair and got some stuff signed. He reminded me of Bugs Bunny for some reason. A real wiseguy.As I watched the movie I got the sense that this was Frank's fantasy come true. Who wouldnt want to be surrounded by half naked women for 2 hours?

This is one of the most violent, sickest movies Ive seen, but its still thoroughly enjoying.

lupodwdm

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2005, 03:48 am »
I need to find a woman like Meho.  Of course Jessica Alba was pretty fine too,  but it would be cool to date a hot female ninja.   :D

nathanm

« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2005, 06:45 am »
Definitely the most comic book-looking of all the comic-based films I've seen.  Visually this one is a feast for the eyes.  I never heard of Frank Miller or his work, but the film is probably the most stylized I've ever seen.  I especially loved the forest scene where Marv and the Elijah Wood character fight.  Suitable for framing!  The violence is almost too much to stomach in places, even though it's usually artistically pleasing violence.    Plus it's balanced by lots of incredibly gorgeous women.  :o I'd probably need a 2nd viewing to completely piece together the plot, but it wasn't as confusing as some.  But the film was so beautiful to look at I wasn't overly concerned about every last detail.

LordCloud

« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2005, 07:20 pm »
I just saw it yesterday, and I loved it. The visuals, the sound, the story were all great. mucho violent, I loved every second of it. But oh my God, Jessica Alba!

bubba966

« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2005, 06:57 pm »
Just watched it again at a friends house last night.

I hope the DVD transfer & compression are done well. Watching it last night I was able to really see how great the picture is. So it has the potential to be a damn good DVD if it doesn't get screwed up by the transfer & compression. Though as it was shot on HD video cameras the transfer should be great. It's the compression that'll most likely be the problem if there is one.

Even though the lens that we used in the projector last night wasn't as nice as some of his other lenses, it was still incredibly sharp & detailed. I might've been able to get it focused a slight bit better had I done the focus job for it. But still, it was an amazing experience to say the least. It was so clear that it felt a lot more real than when I first saw it in a theater.

I'll probably have to find a way to pick it up next week...

mca

« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2005, 07:24 pm »
What is the DVD release date?

bubba966

« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2005, 07:26 pm »
Quote from: mca
What is the DVD release date?

Next Tuesday.

gongos

« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2005, 08:54 pm »
1st 3rd good.
Last 2 3rds boring.

Ears

« Reply #16 on: 15 Aug 2005, 08:22 pm »
Nope.....its all good :lol: ....and the sneak peak I saw looked and sounded impressive.

This is how Sky Captain should have looked imo.