Scotch!!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Scotch!!
« Reply #140 on: 20 Mar 2005, 04:18 am »
Added Dalmore 30 tasting notes to front page list.

HarleyMYK

Scotch!!
« Reply #141 on: 7 Apr 2005, 03:53 am »
http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-scotch6apr06,1,3547132.story?coll=la-home-sports

WINE & SPIRITS
A new frenzy for fine Scotch
Independent bottlings are all the rage among lovers of single malts, and there are hundreds of distinctive labels.
By Charles Perry
Times Staff Writer

[Gigantic cut and paste deleted -- borg]

Jay S

Scotch!!
« Reply #142 on: 3 Jun 2005, 04:09 pm »
Just scored a bottle of Aberlour a'bunadh... it is nice, agree with Tyson's description.  I like the sherry/buttery taste.  It does have a bit of a peaty/spicy aftertaste that is typically not my preference but it is fine in a nice single malt like this.  

I've also got a bottle of Aberlour 15 y.o. but only about 1/5 left... I was hoping to find aonther but came across the a'bunadh instead.

ctviggen

Scotch!!
« Reply #143 on: 10 Sep 2005, 12:42 am »
Whiskey magazine just rated Macallan 18 YO the finest whiskey.  I bought a bottle ($110; I used a $100 birthday gift, so it only cost me $10).  It's excellent, better than the Lagavulin 16 YO and the JW gold I have.  By the way, I think this is an excellent scotch glass:

http://www.novascotiancrystal.com/products/sets/6626

cryoparts

Scotch!!
« Reply #144 on: 10 Sep 2005, 01:15 am »
Man, that is a nice glass!

I love the MaCallan 18yo.  If you ever get a chance, try the "Fine Oak" 21yo that comes in the silver box.  Fantastic!

Regards!

ctviggen

Scotch!!
« Reply #145 on: 10 Sep 2005, 01:24 am »
It's a very nice glass -- the only detriment is that shipping to the US is $50!  So, I had to order several things (the shipping stays at $50).  The bummer is that I didn't know they had these:

http://www.novascotiancrystal.com/products/barware/6683

I'd have ordered that, too (though I usually drink my scotch "neat", I think those are cool; but to pay $50 in shipping, it's not worthi it).

Pez

Scotch!!
« Reply #146 on: 25 Sep 2005, 07:01 am »
It's been a while since I've had a drink with you Tyson.  :)

nickspicks

Scotch!!
« Reply #147 on: 25 Sep 2005, 12:43 pm »
i can't believe i missed this thread...

i'm also a single malt guy.  Islay malts mostly.  but i've had a pension for talisker lately.  I like the zippy taste.  :)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Scotch!!
« Reply #148 on: 4 Oct 2005, 10:21 am »
Tyson....Saturday nite, after the RMAF and dinner at the Buckhorn Exchange, Captain Humble and myself paid a visit to Pint's Pub in Denver. We were hoping to spot you there.... :beer: .  Nice place, nice crowd, and what a selection of scotch !!! Had a great time....just wish they didn't close at midnight (only got to sample three, the Springbank was VG) :?.
    While there, we tried our hand at bar billiards....had a few games with the local guys who explained the rules. They called the game "sticks and crosses"...not sure if thats correct, but here's a shot of the table that I found on the web....[/list:u]
    [/list:u]
      All in all...if in Denver, Pint's Pub is worth a visit !!!! :wink: [/list:u]
        Chris[/list:u]

nickspicks

Scotch!!
    « Reply #149 on: 4 Oct 2005, 11:48 am »
    Been to Pints many times.
    excellent place.

bubba966

Scotch!!
    « Reply #150 on: 22 Nov 2005, 07:58 pm »
    So Tyson, when are you gonna try some of this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10069638/

Folsom

Scotch!!
    « Reply #151 on: 12 Jun 2006, 05:27 pm »
    Dalmore 12, pretty tasty for $39.95.

ctviggen

Scotch!!
    « Reply #152 on: 12 Jun 2006, 06:52 pm »
    Dalmore 12 is supposed to be very good for under $40.  It's hard to find a good scotch under $40.  Supposedly, Bowmore 12 is also good in that price range.  Another that's supposedly not bad is Tomatin, for around $20, but it's wimpy.  I've had Bowmore 12, and that wasn't too bad.  It's not Lagavulin 16, but it's 20-$30 cheaper.

Folsom

Re: Scotch!!
    « Reply #153 on: 26 Jun 2006, 12:39 am »
    Under some further review the Dalmore is not as consistant as a better scotch probably would be... I have mixed the same amount of water and found different results into what reveals flavor. I had it really strong one time, found that odd. I might swirl the container around some before I poor next time.

Carlman

« Reply #154 on: 15 Jul 2006, 03:26 pm »
    Tyson, have you noticed that the Bruichladdich scotches can be inconsistent?  I tried one that came with a free glass and the whiskey was peaty like Laphraoig and very alcohol-ly.  It was like drinking bad medicine... It was also $55 or more... of my small scotch-drinking circle none of us liked it, at all... and it became the 'guest whiskey'.. ;)  I can't remember if it was the 10 or 15 but it had a blue-ish label. I was surprised to see the 15 in your top 5 and figured I must have gotten a bad batch. 

Anywho, one I noticed missing from your list is Dalwhinnie.  There is a 1990 'Distiller's Edition' that is now one of my top 5's:

I think it might actually knock Oban from the top.  I have not had the super-expensive ones you've tried.  Most of my drinking has been in the sub-100/bottle range...

I agree with most of your assessments and I think you like the peat more than me... But the Bowmore was a great call... very good for $33. :)  It's now in the top 5 'under 40's' for me also.

Thanks and hope you continue keeping us updated with your findings.

Tim S

« Reply #155 on: 13 Dec 2006, 01:26 pm »

A question for those knowledgeable about scotch. . .

I don't drink the stuff myself but I was thinking about getting a nice bottle for my Dad for Christmas. He says he likes Glenfiddich and Knockandoo, the ones aged in the sherry barrels. I could of course just get him one of those but I thought it might be nice to get him something in the same style but new and perhaps better. If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate them.

Tim

Dougl

« Reply #156 on: 15 Mar 2007, 10:25 pm »
    I visited Scotland on a tour and Got the chance to Visit the Glenlivet Distillery (Very worthwhile)
    I have always wanted to try Cameron Brig, so I brought back a bottle.  I wasn't expecting color in a grain whisky.  also, its got a couple of interesting fruit notes.  Fun, but not worth the 15 quid I paid except in novelty value. :)  A store in Inverary was offering samples of Tamintoul 16, which I was very fond of, and promptly picked up a bottle, fearing it was not available stateside.  Also memorable was the Glenlivit french oak 15 that they served at the end of the tour.  I may pick up a bottle of that as well.

Thanks for the reviews.  Very fun and enlightening. 

Doug
    « Last Edit: 15 Mar 2007, 10:38 pm by Dougl »

rollo

• Industry Participant
    • Rollo Audio Consulting -
    « Reply #157 on: 15 Mar 2007, 10:33 pm »
    A question for the experts. If you were on a desert island what bottle of Scotch would you want most. Cost no object.

rollo

ctviggen

« Reply #158 on: 15 Mar 2007, 11:14 pm »
    In around the 50-100 range, I'd like Springbank or Longrow (Springbank + peat).  I can drink either of these.  I know you said money no object, but money's always an object, especially since the most expensive bottles I've tried are under $150.  Cost is odd.  I've had Glenlevit 21 and Macallan 18 (and another 21 yo), all around $130, depending on where you buy it, and the Glen really isn't worth the money; while I liked the Mac 18, I think the Lagavulin 16 is almost as good and half the price.  Some of the Glenmorangies are very good and not too expensive.  Heck, who can choose just one?  ;-)

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
    « Reply #159 on: 17 Mar 2007, 10:22 pm »
    unboxing a 18 year old glenfiddich single malt, i picked up in st thomas, single malts are my favorite scotch and i just love the mellow taste and character of this fine scotch, i think its going to go really well with some rock and roll too,