Can anyone recommend a sub that blends well with Ulysses .V2

audiojem

I'm looking to see if any members have used a non Daedalus sub that blends well with the Ulysses .v2.
I was looking at the JL Audio e110 or 112 and wondered if anyone has them or heard them with the Ulysses's.
I know Lou's would work great but trying to keep cost down for now.
You help would be appreciated.
Thanks
AJ

rbbert

Re: Can anyone recommend a sub that blends well with Ulysses .V2
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2018, 05:00 pm »
I’m using a REL SHO/3 with what I feel are excellent results

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2018, 05:28 pm »
Pretty much any fast, low distortion sub will work so long as it has a low pass that can be set to 30-35 HZ.
The Ulysses should be run full range, never go through the sub. The low frequency extension of our speakers is a very smooth and gradual rolloff so they are actually very easy to mate with a sub.
Keeping the frequency low is key and because the Daedalus are fast the speed of the sub is important.
Please keep us posted as it is helpful to everyone to know what options are available.
thanks,
lou

rbbert

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2018, 07:04 pm »
The REL SHO line meets those criteria, if one is looking for a less expensive solution than getting Lou’s X-over and sub(s)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2018, 08:27 pm »
Room EQ can work wonders.  I have a 10 inch CSS (XBL^2) driver in a small sealed sub that blends seamlessly, even though it's located at middle of side wall with any of three pair of speakers (F3 between 30 and 42 Hz) thanks to use of a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core (the newer/more expensive X4 model is even better).  Even more sophisticated but more difficult to apply solutions are REW (Room Equalization Wizard) and Dirac that can be used with miniDSP products.  Note that DSPeaker and miniDSP products are available that include DAC, preamp, and room DSP functions.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2018, 08:38 pm »
audiojem,

I don't own Ulysses and I haven't tried pairing mine to my Apollos, but I do own a Rythmik F12G sub. The driver is a GR Research 12" paper cone. I've paired it to several different speakers to good effect. My Apollos deliver enough bass, so I haven't tried it with them. Aldcol has used it with his Pans. Perhaps he will chime in.

Link:  http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12G.html

For those who want something more:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F25.html   :wink:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2018, 03:08 am »
I have a pair of Daedalus BOWs and they mate very nicely with Lou's full range speakers. I used them with my fully upgraded DA-1.1v2 and they provided an excellent foundation for the music and allowed the system to reach the lowest notes on a B3. Now, I am using the BOWs with my Apollo 11s and really like the solid foundation they provide and the detail I hear in the mids and highs.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2018, 07:24 am »
I happen to have a pair of  Ulysses speakers in my room right now.

And I own a pair of GR Research Super Vs which have four 12" OB servo subs in them and they are very fast.

I've been playing around with using just the subs with the  Ulysses and they blend seamlessly.

And they add that deep bass which I feel those speakers need in my 20'x30'x10' room.

A_shah

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2018, 05:55 pm »
I use the Hsu Research VTF 15H MK2 subwoofer with my Poseidon speakers , it is fast , has variable tuning features goes down to as low as 16Hz ( no music their) it's not boomy but the vibrations are felt in your chest and your sitting position , for music I use it in a sealed mode and it sounds sweet blends so well that I don't even  notice  it is playing , and it is very reasonably priced .One draw back it is Huge ! with a 15" paper cone woofer weighs about a 110 lbs.
Has been reviewed in Audioholic online A/V magazine 2015
Home Theater Sack " the best of Axpona 2015"
David Vaughn , " Sound and Vision " Feb/Mar 2015
Brent Butterworth , "About.com" December 2014
last week I switched it over to my HT system with my newly acquired Wyred4Sound multiChannel Amp MC 7150 directly attached to the OPPO 205 UHD via 7.1 channel connections and played the movie "Gravity" the experience was mind blowing  in the Home theater environment their was no boom but the home was shaking and the windows were rattling and the Couch I was sitting on  my butt was vibrating ! Switching it to  the music system in a sealed mode , it blends so well that you don't even know if it is there. :popcorn:

Asghar

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2018, 07:51 pm »
AJ

I have two seperate dedicated rooms.
One home theatre with JL Audio F113 sub and my 2 channel room has Ulysses my pride and joy.

My son plays upright bass (I tinker) and the Ulysses will project a very dynamic low register with clear definition and distinct tonality. Life like double bass response in the same room. I feel they have a very definitive sound and are very engaging on the low end.  The Ulysses handle the whole spectrum so musically.

Many subwoofers will give you growl but at the expense of realism. They won't define individual low notes up the scale.

The JL Audio 113 sub is a key part of my home theatre. The JL Audio is very fast, authoritative and can resolve low frequecy. My friend has the F110 and it isn't as robust as the F113.  Lou's Bows might be your best bet.

I plan to take a trip to Washington at some point to see Lou about the Apollos. My room has depth limitations (27x15) and the Apollos might be ideal for a point source near field setup.  The 10 inch woofer will be an interesting factor.

beaglebump

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2018, 09:35 pm »
I've been pairing a Velodyne DD10+ with my Athena for a few yrs now.  Barely feather it in around 30Hz.  I particularly like the auto EQ software system that was able to make remarkably accurate room adjustments.  Response is quick, tight, etc. - compliments the Athena well.  All being said, I have to say that with a good amount of my reference listening, I end up dialing the sub out altogether, as the Athena lower freq response is plenty all on its own (easy to do from the chair w/ the Velodyne's remote!). 

audiojem

« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2018, 10:39 pm »
My friend is loaning me his JL Audio E-110 to try out!
What is the best way to hook up a powered sub as I have never owned one before.
Thanks
AJ

rbbert

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2018, 12:59 am »
The way it sounds the best  8)  You should experiment with several possibilities; most or all should be outlined in the sub instructions.  Likewise with placement.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2018, 07:20 pm »
My friend is loaning me his JL Audio E-110 to try out!
What is the best way to hook up a powered sub as I have never owned one before.
Thanks
AJ

You will want to use two sets of outputs from the preamp, one set to the amp for the Ulysses and the other set to the sub. Do NOT use any connections from the sub to send signal to the Ulysses. Set the crossover frequency at about 30HZ and experiment with phase, it is usually very evident when the subs phase is right or wrong.  Good luck!

Drew769

« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2018, 10:00 pm »
I run a pair of Vandersteen Audio 2WQ subs with my DA 1.1v2s.  I had the subs in place with my prior Vandersteen 2CEs, and then my Treos.  I kept them in my room when I bought the Daedalus, and I think they pair very well.

The Vandersteens run off the main speaker outputs, ideally the same taps that you connect to your main speakers.  There is a high pass put into the chain between the preamp and the amplifier.  This is set based on your power amp’s input impedance, and it creates a crossover at around 80hz.  You can adjust up or down a few settings until you get the blend right with your main speakers.

The net result was that it tightened up the bass quite a bit versus running the 1.1’s without the subs.  It’s not a volume or an “amount of bass” thing - it’s more of a quality and natural extension thing.  A standing bass sounds like a standing bass.  It also allows the midrange to blossom a bit more because the main amp no longer is forced to reproduce the entire spectrum.  The powered subs handle the lowest notes.

Vandersteen just came out with a new version of these that now include room EQ, a feature from their more expensive speakers.

dodgealum

« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2018, 10:45 pm »
I got a chance to hear the Vandy subs with Drew's DA-1.1s a few days ago. I thought the bass was extremely well defined. It was the best kind of sub-sound--you really couldn't tell there was a pair of subs in the system until the music called them into play. He put on a cut with some well recorded drums and the kick drum just floored me--super tight and left feeling in your chest--but no boom or hangover. They may also be cleaning up the upper bass-lower midrange as the sound was exceptional throughout the spectrum. It was a treat hearing Drew's system--he really has it dialed in and with the new Modwright line and phono stage is just awesome!

Nick V

« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2018, 11:43 pm »
audiojem,

I don't own Ulysses and I haven't tried pairing mine to my Apollos, but I do own a Rythmik F12G sub. The driver is a GR Research 12" paper cone. I've paired it to several different speakers to good effect. My Apollos deliver enough bass, so I haven't tried it with them. Aldcol has used it with his Pans. Perhaps he will chime in.

Link:  http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12G.html

For those who want something more:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F25.html   :wink:

I can second the Rythmik recommendation. Their sealed subs are incredibly articulate ("clean" and "fast") for music.

I use an L-12 in one of my systems, and a pair of FM8's in my main system and they are something else. IMO they easily compete with the musicality of the JL subs at a fraction of the price.