Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)

roscoeiii

Re: Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)
« Reply #200 on: 13 Aug 2011, 09:06 pm »
Ozark Tom, how capable is the headphone output for driving the HE-5LEs? Not an easy can to drive. I have a burly Little Dot Mk VI, and know some folks use speaker amps such as Virtue amps with speaker out to balanced headphone jack converters.

OzarkTom

« Reply #201 on: 13 Aug 2011, 09:20 pm »
Ozark Tom, how capable is the headphone output for driving the HE-5LEs? Not an easy can to drive. I have a burly Little Dot Mk VI, and know some folks use speaker amps such as Virtue amps with speaker out to balanced headphone jack converters.

The Zodiac Gold plays the 5LE's louder than I want to listen to. And at times I like to crank them loud. I have never maxed the volune out. I want to get a pair of the HE6 and try them. I have heard that is an iffy combo to drive. Maybe we will see in a couple of weeks or so.

I have a pair of the LCD2's coming in next week. The bass with the 5LE is already fantastic, LCD2 is even better?

roscoeiii

« Reply #202 on: 13 Aug 2011, 09:24 pm »
Look forward to hearing your comparisons. Do these LCD2s have the revised driver that they switched to this summer?

OzarkTom

« Reply #203 on: 13 Aug 2011, 09:33 pm »
Yes, it will be revised. I see some contrversy on the different drivers, but I feel that Audeze would never downgrade their quality. The thinner drivers should make it more revealing.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #204 on: 26 Aug 2011, 12:23 pm »
Any more feedback on the Gold?

OzarkTom

« Reply #205 on: 27 Aug 2011, 03:07 am »
I am currently using the Gold with a lot of headphones. After I get my Sensation modded, i will switch back.

The Gold is actually a fantastic Headphone amp. Has anyone reviewed it that way? It is very open and magical sounding. The Gold matches very well with the Audeze LCD2 which is what I am burning in. The volume is fairly loud at the 1 o'clock setting on the volume dial. Bass is incredible.

OzarkTom

« Reply #206 on: 3 Sep 2011, 02:38 am »
The Audeze LCD2's on the Gold is a perfect match. I have never heard deeper bass coming out of cans before. When loud, the volume setting with the HE5LE is at 3 o'clock. with the LCD2's, the volume setting is at 12:30.

So if you want to blow out your ear drums, the Gold and the LCD2's will do it.

hotubei

« Reply #207 on: 5 Sep 2011, 03:07 pm »
I'm not used this type of volume controlling DAC before, so pardon my question... When connected through to an amplifier, volume can be regulated on both this Zodiac DAC and the amp? Meaning, it doesn't have that pure line output, always as a preamp?

OzarkTom

« Reply #208 on: 23 Sep 2011, 03:35 am »
I now have about 750 hours on the Zodiac Gold. What is so amazing is how the soundstage height and width keeps increasing with the Audeze LCD2's every week of break-in. I am now hearing detail several feet outside the LCD2's, depending on the recording.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #209 on: 23 Sep 2011, 03:40 am »
I'm not used this type of volume controlling DAC before, so pardon my question... When connected through to an amplifier, volume can be regulated on both this Zodiac DAC and the amp? Meaning, it doesn't have that pure line output, always as a preamp?

No, setting the volume control to full (0 db) is bypassing the internals, and providing a straight line out.  That is how I used it with a preamp.