Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)

cryoparts

Re: Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)
« Reply #20 on: 18 Sep 2010, 05:28 pm »
I like it enough that I am going to start offering it for sale, FWIW.

I think it has a decent/good headphone amp, and that the unit really shines when the balanced outs are used.  Other than those two observations, I will keep my opinions to myself as it's not my place to comment any further.

Peace,

Lee

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #21 on: 22 Sep 2010, 03:19 am »
6moons review of the Antelope Zodiac+ has been updated:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/antelope/zodiac_2.html

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #22 on: 22 Sep 2010, 03:41 am »
6moons review of the Antelope Zodiac+ has been updated:

It's still just the preview, i.e details on the innerds, etc.

roscoeiii

« Reply #23 on: 22 Sep 2010, 04:14 am »
And I am very much looking forward to your impressions of the Antelope Ted. Particularly your comparisons with the Weiss DAC2.

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #24 on: 22 Sep 2010, 04:24 am »
It's still just the preview, i.e details on the innerds, etc.

Yes, but finally seeing the insides is a fairly big deal :D

No one has wanted to crack theirs open yet. 

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #25 on: 25 Sep 2010, 11:37 am »
Small update, I am pretty much at about 120 hours or so now on the Zodiac+....and I have to tell you it is the best DAC I have heard to date.  With quality recordings it just blows my mind.  Antelope really has a winner here.  Review will be written at 200+ hours. 

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #26 on: 25 Sep 2010, 05:03 pm »

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 25 Sep 2010, 05:10 pm »

Updated with interior shots.

Eric, this is the same page 2 as Tigz's post, five posts earlier.  Nothing has changed, and as tigz has stated, it's nice to see the innerds.  Waiting for Srajan's review comments in the next week or so.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #28 on: 25 Sep 2010, 05:13 pm »
Eric, this is the same page 2 as Tigz's post, five posts earlier.  Nothing has changed, and as tigz has stated, it's nice to see the innerds.  Waiting for Srajan's review comments in the next week or so.

Whoops, sorry about that.

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #29 on: 14 Oct 2010, 09:05 pm »
My review is coming after I get my custom Welborne Labs power supply for the Zodiac+.

In the mean time, found out 6moons just updated their review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/antelope/zodiac.html

Overall it seems he has a preference for it over the Weiss DAC2. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 14 Oct 2010, 09:36 pm »
My review is coming after I get my custom Welborne Labs power supply for the Zodiac+.

In the mean time, found out 6moons just updated their review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/antelope/zodiac.html

Overall it seems he has a preference for it over the Weiss DAC2.

The power supply was a big point in his review.  You gotta tell us how the Welborne stacks up.  BTW, I agree with about everything Srajan says, but wondered how long he broke it in.  I found that 200+ hrs brought out some real heft and weight.

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #31 on: 14 Oct 2010, 11:47 pm »
I agree with you, and I will definitely include my impressions of the power supply upgrade in my review.  I think that he may have evaluated the unit with possibly 100-150 hours perhaps?  I agree with most of all of his impressions except for the body/weight.  I find there to be nice impact/body in a variety of my setups (speakers and headphones).  Overall I find it to be very well balanced and natural. 

melbguy_357

« Reply #32 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:19 pm »
My first post! It's quite a beautiful little Dac isn't it. I'm actually just as interested in the $1500 smaller vanilla Zodiac and how it compares to both the Zodiac+ and the Wyred4sound Dac2 as a direct to amp option.

kenreau

« Reply #33 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:27 pm »
What's up with the "mini" B type USB 2.0 input ??? ugh.   :scratch:  Given their Pro Audio heritage, it would be uber cool to have a fire wire input port.

With asynchronous USB, is it preferred to come straight out from the computer with a USB cable?  Or best sonic results with a usb-to-spdif converter?

Thanks
Kenreau

doctorcilantro

« Reply #34 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:51 pm »
What's up with the "mini" B type USB 2.0 input ??? ugh.   :scratch:  Given their Pro Audio heritage, it would be uber cool to have a fire wire input port.

With asynchronous USB, is it preferred to come straight out from the computer with a USB cable?  Or best sonic results with a usb-to-spdif converter?

Thanks
Kenreau

Technically, it is a USB cable. Firewire also has the "mini" type.

I'd be more concerned that there is no BNC coax input, just one for the word clock.

kenreau

« Reply #35 on: 19 Oct 2010, 06:53 pm »
Technically, it is a USB cable. Firewire also has the "mini" type.

I'd be more concerned that there is no BNC coax input, just one for the word clock.

Interesting, I didn't realize there was a "mini" firewire connection.  My notion is I would still prefer to use it over any USB plug and interface. 

Agreed on the lack of BNC / 75ohm interface input.  To go through all this s.o.t.a. digital design effort and route it through a seemingly generic spdif RCA input seems counter intuitive.  Maybe the ideal 75-ohm interface isn't all its purported to be?

Kenreau

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:01 pm »
I ran both SPDIF (rca coax) and AES/EBU (xlr) inputs on the Zodiac Plus, and although they sounded a bit better than the USB input initially (using my Weiss DAC2 as firewire to digital output interface) after the pre-requisite 200+ hours of break in the USB (mini and all) input was just as good, if not better, and that Weiss interface is no slouch.  I used a Wireworld Ultraviolet USB cable with standard connections, and then attached a mini-b adapter I got through Lee (cryoparts).  Sounded fantastic.

Bigfish

« Reply #37 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:14 pm »
I auditioned a Zodiak+ in my system this past weekend and found some interesting results.  First my system: 

Usher Mini Dancer II Speakers with Diamond Tweeters
Moscode 402AU Amp
Audio Research Ref 1 Preamp (on loan from a friend)
Tranquility DAC with DB Audio Labs Essential USB Cable
JPS Superconductor 3 SCs and ICs
Dedicated 20 AMP Circuits
Mac Mini Tweaked with SS Drive
Music on WD Fire Wire External Drive

A friend and I initially replaced the Tranquility with the Zodiak+ connected to the Ref 1.  The music lacked dynamics and to be honest was not very good.  We then tried connecting the Zodiak+ directly to the Moscode.  We both felt the sound was better but did not approach the sound quality of the Tranquility.  We were unable to utilize the Essential USB cable as I did not have a USB-B to Mini B adapter (one now on order).  My friend had brought along two inexpensive, over the counter, USB Cables with USB-A to Mini B connectors.  We decided what the hey and replaced the one usb cable from the Zodiak+ to the Moscode with the second inexpensive usb cable.  The change was simply stunning!  The music went from being barely listenable to being world-class!  It lacked some of the weight added by the Ref 1 but the music was incredibly detailed without any midrange glare or high-end over brightness that I detest. 

I plan to evaluate the Zodiak+ in my system again after receiving the adapter from CryoParts.  My friend and I did not connect the Zodiak+ back into the Ref 1 with the second usb cable.   I also want to evaluate the Zodiak+ connected directly into the Moscode again and make some tube changes in the Moscode.  This concept is of interest as I like would to learn if I can love the music from my system and eliminate a preamp.

Ken

roscoeiii

« Reply #38 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:44 pm »
Bigfish,

How many hrs had the Zodiak+ burned in? Seems like there are many reports suggesting 200 hrs to reach optimal sound? Any chance to try non-USB inputs to the Zodiak+?

BTW, I think I prefer the Zodiak spelling. Think I will stick with it for a while.

Roskoe

Bigfish

« Reply #39 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:53 pm »
Bigfish,

How many hrs had the Zodiak+ burned in? Seems like there are many reports suggesting 200 hrs to reach optimal sound? Any chance to try non-USB inputs to the Zodiak+?

BTW, I think I prefer the Zodiak spelling. Think I will stick with it for a while.

Roskoe

Sorry about the spelling!  The Zodiac+ had between 160 and 180 hours on it when my friend brought it over on Sunday.  I really liked it, enough to pay roughly $20.00 for the adapter to allow me to audition it again with a quality USB Cable.

I am driving the DAC with a MAC Mini and therefore fairly limited to USB unless I convert the external drive to USB to free up the fire wire port.

Ken