recommendations for HDTV

drphoto

recommendations for HDTV
« on: 11 Jan 2003, 05:38 pm »
Who has the best price/performance in HDTV?

I really like my Sony XBR 32" tube, but Sony tends to be pretty pricey.

I was impressed by the picture on Marbles' Toshiba, and Toshiba seems reasonable.

I'm thinking $2500 max.

Want widescreen format, around 50" or so.

What else to look for? Linedoubling?

Or are projectors the way to go....

Brad

recommendations for HDTV
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2003, 05:47 pm »
I got my 57" Toshiba (57h81) in Sept 2001.
It was $2395 delivered and I think it's got an excellent picture.

Zu Cable component cables helped, too.

I'm using the Toshiba DST-3000 Directv/HDTV receiver with it.

Excellent value- and the '02 models should be even cheaper now.

Next time around (4-5 yrs, hopefully) I plan on taking a serious look at a front projector and a 100" screen.

mojoman

recommendations for HDTV
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2003, 05:52 pm »
I have a friend who has a 55" Misubishi.  It has a great picture, pretty good streach modes and is very impressive with a HD signal or DVD.  I'm still using a 15 year old JVC.  If you have the space and money for it a front projector with a 120" screen is pretty awesome but I don't know if you could do that for $2500, maybe used.

DiNo

recommendations for HDTV
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2003, 06:27 pm »
I have the Panasonic 47WX49 HD Television and like it very much. You can get this unit new for around $1300 and tweak it or tune it  to make it real sharp. Check out the tweaking forum at www.panny.tv

Don't waste your money on Sony Wega.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: recommendations for HDTV
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2003, 06:34 pm »
Quote from: drphoto
Who has the best price/performance in HDTV?

I really like my Sony XBR 32" tube, but Sony tends to be pretty pricey.

I was impressed by the picture on Marbles' Toshiba, and Toshiba seems reasonable.

I'm thinking $2500 max.

Want widescreen format, around 50" or so.

What else to look for? Linedoubling?

Or are projectors the way to go....

Oops it helps to post something before you submit...

Glad that a person with an XBR CRT asked that question. You have covered some of the big issues that make me wait to buy a big screen TV.

First I assume you want to go HD in a way that the 32" XBR CRT cannot deliver.  Is that true?

Sony has projection TVs and LCD projection TVs in the XBR line. But yes Sony just seems too pricey. I saw a 36" Sony HD CRT, the one that displays memory-stick pics. But they wanted 2K for it! and it isn't even XBR (kind of cloudy on what the XBR really means from model year to model year)

I would rather have CRT than rear projection if I can, but is rear projection getting as good in the brightness and contrast and even true dot-pitch areas? That is making me think I would have to settle for 36 or even 40" wide screen CRTs.

bubba966

recommendations for HDTV
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2003, 08:06 pm »
If you're looking at RPTV's I'd suggest to look at Toshiba's, Mitsubishi's, Panasonic's, & Pioneer's. Those 4 manufacturers make goor RPTV's that aren't terribly overpriced. I saw a rather nice 64" Pioneer at Costco a couple days ago for $2,599 I believe.

Projectors will probably be the way to go in a couple of years. DLP technology is like Plasma, they're getting better as we speak & the price is dropping everyday as well. But an HD capable DLP is going to be much more than $2,500 right now.

If you decide to go with a 16:9 CRT tube set I'd look at either Sony's 34" or the Loewe 30" Aconda. The 30" Loewe is the best looking CRT set I've ever seen. But you're going to have to get a deal on one to pick it up for $2,500.

16:9 HD sets will have line doublers built-in. If possible you should try watching a few things on different sets to seee how you like the doubler in them. You might also want to see if you can turn it off. If the doubler is having a hard time figuring out if the source material is video (30fps) or film (24fps) it'll flip back & forth between film/video modes when it's running the inverse telecine in the line doubling process. The result of that is an occasional jerking of the picture when it's picked the wrong source material type. The cause of a doubler doing such a thing is some DVD's are improperly flagged (or not flagged at all) as to what type the source material is. So if the processor in the doubler doesn't do a good job of identifiying improper source material it'll be switching back & forth. And in those cases you want to just turn it off.

Just re-read your post & noticed you wanted to know by a price/performance stand. You'd do best by looking at the Toshiba & Panasonic sets then.

Another thing to look at is quantity & type of HD inputs. But then you'll have to know what HD sources you'll use in the first place. You'll want to probably look at DVI inputs, as well as HD component inputs. VGA & RGBHV inputs most likely won't be as usefull as the other two.

KKM

recommendations for HDTV
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2003, 08:30 pm »
You might also lurk at avsforum.com, lots of good up to date info, probably more than you need.