RMAF new stuff, new stuff.... (pics on page 2)

srclose

Re: RMAF new stuff, new stuff....
« Reply #80 on: 19 Sep 2012, 08:23 pm »
Probably wrong, but I'm guessing the midrange of the Epiphany line source, which I loved, and the bass of the Super V.  That's a combination I could live with.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #81 on: 19 Sep 2012, 08:32 pm »
The X-Otica kit will be VERY good. It will be more refined, and a little more accurate than the Super-V, but won't have the dynamics of the Super-V. I think I can keep the X-Otica kit below $2,000 too. So it will be less expensive. The Super-V will still be number 1 for fun factor alone. But it does cost more too.
Decisions, decisions.............

Those are tough trade offs. I really like the effortless sound produced by highly efficient speakers. Dynamics can make such a difference.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #82 on: 19 Sep 2012, 08:43 pm »
$20,000 :o

And I thought the Super Vs were expensive.  Sometimes it feels like I'm being priced out of this hobby.

Good thing we can build our own for a fraction of the cost.

Still loving my factory clearance X-Statiks and I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

jn316

Re: RMAF new stuff, new stuff.... (pics on page 2)
« Reply #83 on: 19 Sep 2012, 10:43 pm »
Price on the single Neo 10/Neo 3/triple 8" servo speakers? (Super-5?)

mgalusha

« Reply #84 on: 19 Sep 2012, 10:47 pm »
Told ya! :green:

See you Sunday.

Best,

Ruben

Don't forget about me either. ;) (I know you're swamped, just couldn't resist).

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #85 on: 19 Sep 2012, 11:03 pm »
Don't forget about me either. ;)

NEVER!!!

I should have them finished by the end of the month. :thumb:

Best,

Ruben

bigbang

« Reply #86 on: 20 Sep 2012, 01:04 am »
Bingo! I think there will be a LOT of interest in that one...smaller, less expensive, but still w/ the Neo 10 attributes and still very efficient. Oh, and the bass should still be pretty incredible!

Out in time for :xmas:?   Oh wifey...

A pic of these asap please!

Danny Richie

« Reply #87 on: 20 Sep 2012, 01:55 am »
Danny - care to comment on the sound differences between your Super-V and the new $20K retail Serenity?

gab

There's actually quite a bit of difference between them.

Right off the bat the big difference is resolution. The Super-7 has lots of it all over. And it is really surprising just how much difference there can be especially right in the mid-range. I now notice subtle details in the background that otherwise goes easily unnoticed. I guess a lot of it has to do with just how fast the Neo 10's return to rest, or how fast they stop. Just super clean without strain, without glare, without ring or overshoot. Just amazing....

The highs are really good on the Super-7's too. And in the same way. And since they are all open baffle too now the Neo 3 has a more relaxed and natural sound to them that you just don't get with the rear back cup on them. I thought it is was a big deal when I went from the shallow back cup to the deep back cup. Going to no back cup at all was an even bigger deal.

Another big deal is how the drivers are now acoustically in phase front to back. So they sound almost the same in the back as they do in the front. The phase relationship does not change. This perfect phase relationship of the drivers has apparently improved the imaging as well. The sound stage is bigger, more layered, and more pin point focused. And they sound even more transparent and not like a speaker. They place the music in the room with you without getting in the way.

They are so good that it is almost creepy.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #88 on: 20 Sep 2012, 02:42 am »
Very nice Danny. I am sure you will win many deserved accolades.

I don't understand however why you can't offer something close to this as a kit? You could have a pre-CNC'd front baffle and everything else is within most enthusiasts reach.

Also, did you happen to try the mids standin up tall with a narrower front? What were the results of that? Was there better imaging?

Danny Richie

« Reply #89 on: 20 Sep 2012, 02:50 am »
I don't understand however why you can't offer something close to this as a kit? You could have a pre-CNC'd front baffle and everything else is within most enthusiasts reach.

The speakers belong to Serenity Acoustics. They are not interested in offering them as kits.

I have also found that as my top level kits get more expensive I have fewer people wanting them as kits. A lot if not most customers in those price ranges don't want to build the speakers themselves. They want it completed.

Also, did you happen to try the mids standin up tall with a narrower front? What were the results of that? Was there better imaging?

I explained that in an earlier post. Whether the mids are side by side or on top of each other makes no difference. They play as one 10" square driver.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #90 on: 20 Sep 2012, 02:57 am »
GFisk,  Danny had an older version with what would be a N3S in the top sealed and a side loaded 12 with the servo amp on back.  I have though of making one of these, but the weight to ship would be big..   heavy...  Something like this would work with Danny's kits with little mods..
[/img]

Go forward one post... sorry..

Thanks for the response, what I'm wondering is how this will compare to the other diy offerings? I would really like to build an OB speaker but I just don't have the room for it now or in the near future. 

oldman45

« Reply #91 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:02 am »
Very nice Danny. I am sure you will win many deserved accolades.

I'm confused.  I thought the Neo10 was bad because of its length and comb filter issues.

jn316

« Reply #92 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:07 am »
I have also found that as my top level kits get more expensive I have fewer people wanting them as kits. A lot if not most customers in those price ranges don't want to build the speakers themselves. They want it completed.

And these kits would probably be around what, $15k, especially if they included the baffle? If you can swing $15k on a pair of speakers, you would probably just say heck with it and by them complete...and I would be very jealous!  :thumb:

jn316

« Reply #93 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:16 am »
Danny,

Is there a price yet on the Super-5? I've already named it for you!  :lol:
...the single Neo 10, Neo 3 and three 8" servo subs.

Danny Richie

« Reply #94 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:20 am »
I'm confused.  I thought the Neo10 was bad because of its length and comb filter issues.

Well, if you let them play up to 10kHz or something then they would definitely have some vertical dispersion issues. That is if it were standing up vertically. They aren't allowed to play up high enough to beam or to have any comb filtering issues.

Danny,

Is there a price yet on the Super-5? I've already named it for you!  :lol:
...the single Neo 10, Neo 3 and three 8" servo subs.

No, that model has not been completed yet.

Danny Richie

« Reply #95 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:24 am »
And these kits would probably be around what, $15k, especially if they included the baffle? If you can swing $15k on a pair of speakers, you would probably just say heck with it and by them complete...and I would be very jealous!  :thumb:

Like I mentioned earlier. On the table is the idea pf letting the first six pair go at half price just to get them out there in some good hands. So there are some bargains to be had. And that tells you right there that even in kit form they would still have to cost about $10k.

Sometimes given a few pairs away at cost to the right people gets you more advertising than money spent on ads. 

studiotech

« Reply #96 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:26 am »
Can I get a cut of that action too?  I almost did the same thing on my project last year.  I tried 2 sideways and really wanted to get more to make the 10" squares, but could not commit any more money at the time and decided it was already so good.  Plus, the larger Raal sideways was weird.  Might be better with the OEM...

Can't wait to hear them....   :thumb:

Greg

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #97 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:31 am »
Huh.

Danny, thanks for letting us follow along - sometimes maybe a little uncomfortably - with more of the details of how this industry really works than a lot of companies would probably EVER put out there.  Between conversations with you and Eric at dB Audio Labs, the hobbyist interest I have in studying business has had a lot of interesting things to watch unfold over the last year or two.

The Super-7 looks to me like a top-shelf evolution of an open baffle version of the strata mini concept from a while back - a speaker I liked very much.  It will be interesting to hear.  Part of my goal in going to RMAF all along has been to get a little experience with a broad spectrum of exactly what "way out of my pay grade" really sounds like, just to gain perspective with what I actually CAN do, after all. . . you know, better understand my own personal point of diminishing returns in this hobby. . . just kind of surprised a bit at finding this in Danny's room. . .  Oh well; should be pretty neat regardless.

This may be a silly question, but as it sounds like Serenity Acoustics is taking over the GR room this RMAF, will GR-Research be couch surfing in another room at the show?  Maybe another AC vendor hosting the Super-Vs?  Seeing as that is THE head-to-head I'm thinking a lot of folks here on AC would love to hear, and perhaps as crystal-clear a demonstration of what the "next level" really means as one could possibly get. . . that would be something very cool for after show hours kind of fun.

. . . and if someone forgets to bring one, maybe Lowes (Home Depot?) stocks a USB DVD-ROM drive (maybe the Wal-Mart)?  :green:

. . . and Danny, for twenty large (or ten-ish on the super-limited-intro-niceguy-special pricing), no love for the no-rez on the servos? ;)

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #98 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:34 am »
The speakers belong to Serenity Acoustics. They are not interested in offering them as kits.

I explained that in an earlier post. Whether the mids are side by side or on top of each other makes no difference. They play as one 10" square driver.

The speakers belong to serenity acoustics? Umm, it's a superV with neo10s, no? In fact you are the one who said something like superV on steroids. Do they own the superV as well now?? P.S. I am just kiddin'.

Narrower baffle not better than wider baffle? Can you explain? I will look for that post where you said it makes no difference to see if you explained why.

Man, you must be so excited! Are you going to power them with some of Gary's amps?

oldman45

« Reply #99 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:50 am »
Now that I have read through this thread; congrats Danny.   It looks like you have a new winner.  I love how the Super-V's sound.  Combine that with the Neo and it should sound that much better.  On a side note; and I thought the $2500 for the Super-V's was out of my league.